Sponsored

Changing exhausts

Randy954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Pp
I recently purchased a new exhaust for my 2016 mustang gt. At first I liked it and loved the sound but now I'm starting to notice the drone a lot more. There's so much drone between 1600-2000 it rattles the inside of the car. I'm also running an x pipe so I'm not sure if it's the exhaust or the combo. Anyone know of a somewhat inexpensive exhaust that has very little drone? I still want it to scream when I get on it but just get rid of that stupid highway drone.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Which exhaust? All of the Borla (including Ford Racing) and Corsa systems do not drone but will scream when you want.

OP
OP

Randy954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Pp
I bought a Legato exhaust. It was on the cheaper side and I love the sound but the drone is obnoxious lol.

sonofoldcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT premium manual 50th trim package
Honestly just spend the money on a corsa one time instead of loosing money jumping from one to another. I bought a bassani x-muffler catback and the drone sucked. Sold it for a loss and bought a corsa sport catback and love it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a Legato exhaust. It was on the cheaper side and I love the sound but the drone is obnoxious lol.
Yeah, I would keep your X pipe and change to a different axle back (FRPP Touring or Sport, Borla S-type, Corsa Touring). Removing the X pipe and replacing with the stock resonator will take away volume considerably (~30-40%), so if you just want drone elimination, get some new axle backs.

Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Second on borla. I've the S type catback and zero drone.

Go used and save a ton over new. I picked the up the S types from another member for around $800. People are always changing out exhausts on here and through CL.

Chris@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The S-Type is a really good option, but I would go Corsa over all! Go touring and with the off road H or X it will be equivalent to the Sport or go Sport and will be equivalent to the XTREME. Both systems will give you a drone free cruising level. Also just sign into your account on our site and get the sweet loyalty savings price on all Corsa systems.

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
I have the legato axle back as well. Also with obnoxious drone with my old frpp xpipe. I had the muffler shop install a magnaflow resonated x pipe part number 11385. It cut it down pretty well and no more rasp. Im looking at solo axle back probably next spring.

goodwill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3 to 5.0 to 2.9
i emailed legato, because of the drone was just obno at 2000 rpm, eventho the sound was killer. I eventually went back to stock with the ford racing xpipe, talked to a friend of my he sold me his old Ford racing exhaust couldnt be happier. i did loose a little bit of money in the process, but at least i got what i wanted.

Sponsored

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
73mph on the motorway (freeway) takes me out of the drone-zone. 70mph is ear-bleed territory when on a long trip.

goodwill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3 to 5.0 to 2.9
potential cure

this dude on youtube called games and gear added some anti drone pipes you can also explore that option

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Corsa extreme if you want loud scream but no drone. Especially if you are keeping your cats and stock headers.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I recently purchased a new exhaust for my 2016 mustang gt. At first I liked it and loved the sound but now I'm starting to notice the drone a lot more. There's so much drone between 1600-2000 it rattles the inside of the car. I'm also running an x pipe so I'm not sure if it's the exhaust or the combo. Anyone know of a somewhat inexpensive exhaust that has very little drone? I still want it to scream when I get on it but just get rid of that stupid highway drone.
You should only ever be transitioning that RPM range, not staying or cruising in it. I making the assumption that you have a manual trans but the fact remains, that's a bad RPM range to be in, anyway, and most any exhaust is going to drone if you insist on not being in the correct gear and RPM range.
Sponsored