Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
Hey all,

Bit of a sped on this shit but need to make sure I get the right parts 🤦‍♂️.

Just bought calimer stage 3 D4, ratios are long so need to bump up to a 4.09 to get what I want out of the car.

Currently 3.73 with truetrac centre...

Simply put is this the right fucking thing to be buying?? If it was a factory centre obviously yes... but I don't know if the truetrac changes anything...

https://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au/4.09-Ratio-Diff-Upgrade-Kit
Sponsored

only_1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I am pretty sure I read in the Eaton literature it works with the factory gears and bearings. You should be fine. The question I have is, do you like the Truetrac?
My torsen is noisy and I was going to do a complete carrier swap to a 3.31 and trac lok. But I figured I would spend more time reading on some others. I like that the Truetrac is basically a stronger Torsen. I don't see many used for drag racing though.

OP
OP

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
I love it, but having issue atm with the half shafts crushing the interior seals... so it's coming out. I would suggest hitting eaton up about this bullshit BEFORE committing because they're giving us a headache... this isn't normal btw, I've run truetracs and always had positives... first issue I've had, might be a batch problem though as another car at the shop got his in the same shipment and his is leaking aswell

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I didn't know they made a truetrac that fits the super 8.8 IRS used in the S-550 mustangs.

OP
OP

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
I didn't know they made a truetrac that fits the super 8.8 IRS used in the S-550 mustangs.
They do, but as mentioned above be careful and make sure eaton fixed that bullshit first... aussie consumer protections are super strict, USA seems very much "your on your own" so check, double check, check again, etc... looks like all i have to do is buy the gearset and because of this all the labour involved will be covered. Blessing in disguise

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I already have a torsen in my mustang with 3.73's, but it would be nice to install one in my explorer ST. They also get the super 8.8 IRS

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I already have a torsen in my mustang with 3.73's, but it would be nice to install one in my explorer ST. They also get the super 8.8 IRS
Why not just use a Torsen in the Explorer?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I would love to, but ford did an odd thing on the explorer ST's. The front and rear are both open diffs and the front is a custom proprietary design that nothing else interchanges with. The rear uses a 1 piece carrier and ring gear, basically the ring gear is not bolted to the carrier like a normal diff, it is machined together as one unit so to put a torsen in would require a gearset also, and the icing on the cake is ford also decided to use an oddball gear ratio in the ST's a 3.58. Now the timberline explorer also uses a 3.58 gear ratio and they get a factory installed torsen on them, but all other 4 cylinder explorers have the smaller 8.1" rear axle assembly where as the 3.0 equipped explorers get an 8.8 rear and nobody knows for sure if the timberline has the 8.1 or 8.8 rear. If the timberline has the bigger 8.8, then I could just get a complete rear center section and swap it in, but if it has the smaller 8.1, then I would lose strength to gain a torsen.
Sponsored