Sponsored

Challenger?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Hey guys, looks like its been going on a year, but I'm still thinking of a change. Now I'm thinking more in lines of a 1320 or hate to say it, a Camaro SS. I wasn't even thinking about a Chevy until I drove by the lot a couple weeks ago and checked some out. I have to admit they look better in person and I like the 19's a little better. Either one (19) is still a bit pricey though. The local dealer has a 18 2SS on sale and its ok, but not exactly what I would want as far as options and interior color, ect. I found a couple that look pretty good, but they are a distance away. The best deal still seems to be at Koons as they have one over 20% off. IDK, I still haven't driven a Challenger with a V8 yet or a 19 Camaro with the 10 speed. Yeah, I know the new Mustangs may be a tick faster, but I've had two and just want something different with a little more torque down low.
Driven the Camaro SS 10 speed. It's pretty good. You'll just have to adjust to the tiny windshield and worse visibility. Parking especially sucks with the Camaro. Drove the Challenger and Charger Scat Packs as well. Both were good but just bigger than I wanted to go. None of the cars had tons more torque down low than the Mustang A10s to be honest. If they did it was negligible. The A8 in the Challenger and Charger were the best automatics I drove though. For some reason the Charger's auto felt the best even though identical to the Challenger. It was slick and shifted super smooth and fast. Charger Scat pack was a serious beast. I'll probably regret not getting one when I get my next dog and try and squeeze him into the back of the Stang, lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
For some reason the Charger's auto felt the best even though identical to the Charger. It was slick and shifted super smooth and fast. Charger Scat pack was a serious beast. I'll probably regret not getting one when I get my next dog and try and squeeze him into the back of the Stang, lol.
I would expect the charger's auto to feel the same as the charger's auto

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I was actually thinking of getting an 18 SS with the 8 speed since I found a few on sale in the mid to upper 30's. From what I hear the 10 speed in the 19's doesn't make it any faster, although one of the mag's said they got like 30 mpg average on the highway with it. The 19's look is growing on me though and in a couple months they are going to start making 20's so I wonder if it would be better and wait until this summer to get a 19? I probably won't be able to find one discounted as much as they are now, but then again when trade in times comes, a year older car will most likely be valued less.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I was actually thinking of getting an 18 SS with the 8 speed since I found a few on sale in the mid to upper 30's. From what I hear the 10 speed in the 19's doesn't make it any faster, although one of the mag's said they got like 30 mpg average on the highway with it. The 19's look is growing on me though and in a couple months they are going to start making 20's so I wonder if it would be better and wait until this summer to get a 19? I probably won't be able to find one discounted as much as they are now, but then again when trade in times comes, a year older car will most likely be valued less.
Stay away from the 8 speed. The torque converter on them goes bad and the "A8 shudder" is very common on camaro6.com.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Seriously, can any self respecting car guy NOT like Challengers?
Even if you don't admit it. You do, or your not.

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Stay away from the 8 speed. The torque converter on them goes bad and the "A8 shudder" is very common on camaro6.com.
I agree. Only reason i won't buy a C7 since they have so many probs with the A8 and TC. I bought a 2013 C6 and modded it and it has been bullet proof.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Per @Nomadic, the 8-speed in the pre-MY19 facelift cars isn't great. However, the MY19+ cars get the newer 10-speed which is outstanding, so if you were going with an SS, definitely wait, see what kind of killer deal you can score on a 2019, $8K-9K discounts shouldn't be too hard to find.

The new front end has definitely grown on me, I'm sort of cross shopping a ZL1 convertible, but started paying attention to all SS convertibles, and starting to like it with the right color and wheel/etc., setup.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I kind of liked the front end at first, but now I'm really digging the 18's look, especially with rally stripes. The stripes just don't look right on the 19, although the rear does look better and the 10 speed. I also heard a rumor there may be a change to the front for 20 with the middle part being painted and the bow tie moved back up. IDK, it does look a little better in the Sema pics. I'm still trying to decide if I should look at the few remaining 18's. I have discovered the "sale" price isn't always guaranteed. A dealer down the street upped the price by about 4k when I went and looked at it because I wasn't a GM employee or family member. I really like the ceramic interior and been having trouble finding any left in the color I like. I did find a new 18 2SS in hyper blue with white stripes and some LPO options like CAI and exhaust for 39k. But I always wanted a ruby red car and the one locally has black interior. I did just find one Garnet with ceramic almost totally loaded (MRC, sunroof, active exhaust, ect.) for 38k, but its a 17 CPO although it only has 1.4k miles.
Sponsored