Sponsored

Challenger?

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I may be crazy to even consider it right now, but I have been looking at challenger scat pack ads. I've always liked the looks of the car, but know its big and bad on gas. I saw a pic of an octane red and didn't even know they had it on challengers, but they do and it looks awesome especially with black wheels. True car has them at 7-8k off and I even found one advertised at around 10k off!

I know a few of you have switched on here, but want some more opinions of those that had both the mustang an challenger. I've always liked a lot of torque and that's one area the mustang is lacking. What worries me is winter driving and gas mileage as I have a 40 mile commute to work. I already have a set of winter wheels for the stang and know a set of 19 or 20's would cost even more. I also hear they may be re-designing the car for 2019 to a slightly smaller platform, but can't seem to find much info on it. The one pic I found looks like a cross between a challenger and camaro with the high door "bunker" look.
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I think you should cruise on into a dealer and drive one. Maybe even persuade them to let you take it overnight. Either way, you need to drive it.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I drove a scat pack auto. Comfy and quick and sound great. Just not much fun to hustle IMO. Just too big. But a nice fast cruiser. Unless I had a fun, traffic free commute, would not want to sit in traffic in any gas guzzler. I’ve seen them $10k off here as well.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I should at least drive one and if I like it see if them can even come close to paying off what I owe on my gt. I test drove a V6 a few years ago and liked everything about it except for not enough power which I'm sure the V8 would address. btw, my commute is about 90% highway and they say it can get up to 25mpg highway.

MildMax

Takes alright pictures
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium - Magnetic
Former Mopar owner here,
If you do end up looking, I really recommend the 6.4L over anything else, I recently traded my SRT8 in for my 17 GT (albeit I owned a Charger, not a Challenger, but they really are the same car) and the only thing I miss is the punch from that big fat hemi. A lot of power way down low, great for an instant smile on your face.

If aftermarket support is important to you, I hope you've got deep pockets. Everything for a Mopar is more expensive, it's ultimately what sunk the ship for me and why I went to the Mustang.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'd love to have a 392 Scat Pack.....sitting next to my Mustang.

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
I almost went with a Scat Pak Charger or Challenger when looking before I got my Mustang. Price was my deciding factor but I enjoyed driving the ones I tried out.

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
I had an SRT8 Challenger for 4 years before I bought my Mustang. Comfy, lots of room, massive trunk, LOTS of power. However, the rearward/side visibility is poor. I'm so much happier with my Mustang!

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I went from 15 GT to Charger Scat Pack. The 5.0 just loves to be pushed it lacks the low end torque but makes up for it as you continue into the RPMs, haven't driven the 18+ GT yet but know it will be even better yet. I'm on the fence about getting a 19 GT with the 10 speed auto in green.

The LX cars (Charger/Challenger) are great cruisers and brute power vehicles. They are great in a straight line and comfy and more roomy than the Mustang. They however drive heavy because they are. You won't be able to toss them around like a GT but they are nevertheless a blast to drive. That low end torque is intoxicating. The 392/A8 combo is amazing and worth every damn penny.

Highway miles I can get 25+ MPG but around town I don't get a whole lot. I average 11 MPG on my 3 mile commute to work.

There should be no concerns with winter driving, if you can drive a Mustang with winter tires you can drive a Challenger.

There are no plans for 2019 to refresh to a smaller platform so you are safe. The pics you are seeing are all fake.

Like mentioned the aftermarket is almost nonexistent and quite expensive.

Give the car a drive and see if it's right for you. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 muscle cars.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been doing some researching the past couple weeks and really like the F8 green, but when I start adding all the options I think I want (leather, better stereo, NAV, remote start), it starts really adding up. The cheapest one I can find with most of the options is just over 40k. The ones I found at biggest discounts (mid-30's) are more or less stripped scats with just auto. I like the T/A's too, but they are even more expensive. Now when I start looking at R/T's, I found several loaded one's in the low 30's. But not sure I'd be satisfied as it has less hp than the mustang, but torque would be about the same. I hear some people add a CAI, tune and exhaust to get them around 360hp, 400tq at the wheels, but that's going to cost a grand or two out of pocket. Dodge also has some staged performance packs, but like some of you were saying, they look to be pricey for what you get.

Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been doing some researching the past couple weeks and really like the F8 green, but when I start adding all the options I think I want (leather, better stereo, NAV, remote start), it starts really adding up. The cheapest one I can find with most of the options is just over 40k. The ones I found at biggest discounts (mid-30's) are more or less stripped scats with just auto. I like the T/A's too, but they are even more expensive. Now when I start looking at R/T's, I found several loaded one's in the low 30's. But not sure I'd be satisfied as it has less hp than the mustang, but torque would be about the same. I hear some people add a CAI, tune and exhaust to get them around 360hp, 400tq at the wheels, but that's going to cost a grand or two out of pocket. Dodge also has some staged performance packs, but like some of you were saying, they look to be pricey for what you get.
F8 green is beautiful, just note that plum crazy purple and b5 blue just came back out if that's your thing. I'd avoid the 5.7 to be honest. The only variation of Charger/Challenger I would care about are the 6.4 and obviously the hellcat.

You can find mid $30s for a scat pack with leather no problem. With carplay you wouldn't have to spend the money on nav. If I'm not mistaken they come standard with remote start?

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F8 green is beautiful, just note that plum crazy purple and b5 blue just came back out if that's your thing. I'd avoid the 5.7 to be honest. The only variation of Charger/Challenger I would care about are the 6.4 and obviously the hellcat.

You can find mid $30s for a scat pack with leather no problem. With carplay you wouldn't have to spend the money on nav. If I'm not mistaken they come standard with remote start?
Where I you finding them for that price if I may ask? On truecar it looks like you can get the shaker for about the same price as the base scat, but some places look to have better discounts. It looks like you have to get the driver convenience package for about 1k to get remote start, although I'm sure you can get it aftermarket a lot cheaper. Also, how does carplay work with nav? I don't really care for the nav in the mustang as some of it and some apps aren't very accurate. I need to get a cell phone soon too and I hear its pretty good on there. Another weird option I noticed is you can get the cold weather package with the cloth seats on the RT but not the scat pack.

Last edited:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'd just look for a stripper scat pack with a manual (or auto if you prefer). Huntington Dodge near me used to have lots of of those for $35K and less when they had specials.

If you want leather and options....those were $40K plus though. I personally wouldn't pay extra for that stuff.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Search koons or steve white and see what they have. Steve White has no bs fees either, it's where I got my Charger. Carplay works only with apple maps, I'm assuming the android auto only works with google maps. I use carplay everyday, whether to stream music or use the nav.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, looks like its been going on a year, but I'm still thinking of a change. Now I'm thinking more in lines of a 1320 or hate to say it, a Camaro SS. I wasn't even thinking about a Chevy until I drove by the lot a couple weeks ago and checked some out. I have to admit they look better in person and I like the 19's a little better. Either one (19) is still a bit pricey though. The local dealer has a 18 2SS on sale and its ok, but not exactly what I would want as far as options and interior color, ect. I found a couple that look pretty good, but they are a distance away. The best deal still seems to be at Koons as they have one over 20% off. IDK, I still haven't driven a Challenger with a V8 yet or a 19 Camaro with the 10 speed. Yeah, I know the new Mustangs may be a tick faster, but I've had two and just want something different with a little more torque down low.
Sponsored