Sponsored

Ceratec Experiment... Does it fall out?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I used Castrol with the titanium technology. It helped to smooth out the motor a lot compared to mobil1. Which one are you referring to?
Someone from Europe posted a picture of Castrol Magnatec here claiming it to be default dealer oil in Europe. I am just going to use it because percentage wise they mostly do not have bbq tick at USA scale.

Myself I had the tick and switched between MC, Mobil1, Castrol Edge, pennzoil, Red Line in my attempts to get rid of the tick, but obviously nothing helped but ceratec.

I am not convincing anyone, but myself witnessed how non ticking engine started ticking right after the oil change. It was pretty much new oil (~100-200 miles old mc 5w20) into new red line 5w20 oil. I am not buying contaminated or shearing oil arguments here. Oil change process itself is the problem in my books. And yes, I know millions engines are going through oil changes with no issues. But we speak of Coyote specifically here and not of Honda civic engine oe some other engine. Not even all coyotes are prone to the tick. But mine is.

Could be that very short oil starvation in Coyote is enough to cause some minor damage that does not have long term issues per Ford, but does cause discomfort for me and other owners.

If you read marketing story of castrol magnatec, they claim oil sticks "like a magnet" everywhere, hence the name. Of course it is not magnetic literally, but might be protecting during oil change better than other "non sticking" oils.
Sponsored

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Someone from Europe posted a picture of Castrol Magnatec here claiming it to be default dealer oil in Europe. I am just going to use it because percentage wise they mostly do not have bbq tick at USA scale.

Myself I had the tick and switched between MC, Mobil1, Castrol Edge, pennzoil, Red Line in my attempts to get rid of the tick, but obviously nothing helped but ceratec.

I am not convincing anyone, but myself witnessed how non ticking engine started ticking right after the oil change. It was pretty much new oil (~100-200 miles old mc 5w20) into new red line 5w20 oil. I am not buying contaminated or shearing oil arguments here. Oil change process itself is the problem in my books. And yes, I know millions engines are going through oil changes with no issues. But we speak of Coyote specifically here and not of Honda civic engine oe some other engine. Not even all coyotes are prone to the tick. But mine is.

Could be that very short oil starvation in Coyote is enough to cause some minor damage that does not have long term issues per Ford, but does cause discomfort for me and other owners.

If you read marketing story of castrol magnatec, they claim oil sticks "like a magnet" everywhere, hence the name. Of course it is not magnetic literally, but might be protecting during oil change better than other "non sticking" oils.
I think you may be correct here, as the oil starvation at startup is what may be causing the tick. I have it as well, as my motor warms up, the tick goes away and you can barely hear it. After switching to the Castrol Edge Titanium Tech one, I have noticed it become much quieter than mobil1. When using Ceratec, the oil sticks and leaves a strong film behind preventing metal on metal contact. Could also precisely be the reason why when using the Castrol Magnatec, the typerwriter tick is not present, due to the oil sticking "like a magnet". Reason I switched to Castrol edge is due to a buddy of mine. He has no tick, and his engine runs butter smooth. I've tried every oil out there since my 16 GT to my 18 GT. I used Mobil1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, RedLine, Motorcract, and now Castrol. It was with Castrol that I noticed the biggest difference. Even the Ford GT race car uses Castrol.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I think you may be correct here, as the oil starvation at startup is what may be causing the tick. I have it as well, as my motor warms up, the tick goes away and you can barely hear it. After switching to the Castrol Edge Titanium Tech one, I have noticed it become much quieter than mobil1. When using Ceratec, the oil sticks and leaves a strong film behind preventing metal on metal contact. Could also precisely be the reason why when using the Castrol Magnatec, the typerwriter tick is not present, due to the oil sticking "like a magnet". Reason I switched to Castrol edge is due to a buddy of mine. He has no tick, and his engine runs butter smooth. I've tried every oil out there since my 16 GT to my 18 GT. I used Mobil1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, RedLine, Motorcract, and now Castrol. It was with Castrol that I noticed the biggest difference. Even the Ford GT race car uses Castrol.
Are you having tick on both of your cars?

Yeah... I have edge titanium in my garage, but will try to get magnatec if I can.

If not, I feel like adding oil additive that builds some sort of film around engine parts _preventatively_ should minimize chances of getting tick.

If you hot the tick already it's either sgort block repl. (not avail anymore) or ceratec, or maybe you do not care like some.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Are you having tick on both of your cars?

Yeah... I have edge titanium in my garage, but will try to get magnatec if I can.

If not, I feel like adding oil additive that builds some sort of film around engine parts _preventatively_ should minimize chances of getting tick.

If you hot the tick already it's either sgort block repl. (not avail anymore) or ceratec, or maybe you do not care like some.
I had the tick on my 16 GT and ended up receiving a short block replacement, and there was proof that there was damage to the short block. I will use that as precedent if the same occurs in my 18. However my 18 only has a tick during a cold start, and goes away when warm. It's not as severe as my 16, but it sounds eerily similar, which concerns me. However at this point, since it goes away when warmed up.

It's definitely amazing how ceratec quiets these motors down tremendously and makes them run smoother.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
It's definitely amazing how ceratec quiets these motors down tremendously and makes them run smoother.
It's also amazing how some people do not have tick, but some have it several times in a row.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
It's also amazing how some people do not have tick, but some have it several times in a row.
Mine also both happened right after oil change.
Sponsored