Sponsored

Paint correction + PPF or ceramic coating?

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I don't do this professionally, but the time and effort that goes into one car at this level is extensive. When it's your business and you are paying for electricity, water, rent, employee's, training, tools and equipment, chemicals and consumables, insurances, tax................................ and then to pull a wage from it after all that, I don't know how some manage to do this. So that's why you pay $2000+ for coatings and corrections.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..maybe I should just hold on the PP
In that case, I would definitely wait.

..but if the most time consuming part of ceramic coating is the detail + paint correction, why does it cost 1000+?
It costs so much because it takes 2, 3 or more people, all with dual action polishers, to "correct" the factory clear coat and bring out the shine. That process probably takes at the very least four hours with three people and hence the reason for the cost.

PPF takes even longer, probably two days for a full wrap.

I don’t see how it’s possible to quote a price without seeing it.
Same reason, they know how long it will take to polish a generic vehicle, (car or truck,) as they've done it a hundred times. They generally have a fixed cost based on the size of the vehicle.

DR_Mach1Yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC 2500, 2022 GT500, 2023 Corvette Z06 !!!
Thanks very much for the knowledge! It is a shame this is not made more clear to more Customers because if I were just told all of this and not given a price yet, I would expect it to be higher! I think the prices are very fair knowing this information.
Being a business owner myself in the past (I sold my Company 6 years ago) I totally understand and appreciate and see the value I am getting when it’s broken down like this. Just like an Auto Mechanic who is certified (and if not then less hourly wage) I am paying for their knowledge and their tools and their work space. People normally and conveniently forget about the costs to the owner and/or business. The “widget” I used to sell in my own business cost me $8.00, I sold it for $12.00. As the years went on and other people started copying my business model my costs went to say $800 for the widget itself and then the technology needed to make sure it was real and the people we had to use to verify, my total cost went to about $1200/widget with a sales pric of $2500. The average consumer doesn’t think of all the costs involved.
I really appreciate you taking you time and educating all of us on what this should cost and why. This will hopefully change many people’s view on why they are paying this price for ALL this work and time. It seems very fair to me.

Your welcome on the info, and trust me I wish more people would just educate others instead of talking down to them or all the extra crap, we all started somewhere. However Just remember the most important part, not all shops are the same LOL. I say this because we do a lot of paint correction correction lol. We are a full service Bodyshop, mechanical, and performance for McLaren's and Mercedes.

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Your welcome on the info, and trust me I wish more people would just educate others instead of talking down to them or all the extra crap, we all started somewhere. However Just remember the most important part, not all shops are the same LOL. I say this because we do a lot of paint correction correction lol. We are a full service Bodyshop, mechanical, and performance for McLaren's and Mercedes.
I for sure know you don’t get the same job done everywhere. I also believe you get what you pay for. In your case I would assume I might be paying a touch more. But am also expecting more. I would much rather spend the money once the first time and have no worries, which is exactly how I would feel after your explanation of everything.

Sean22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Thanks, my logic was that since I'm doing weekly rinseless washes and am parked outdoors, I'd want ceramic coating to make the washes easier plus save time since no need for waxing afterwards. Now I'm considering doing frontal PPF + the rest ceramic coated. and mine is shadow black
Went for PP and full ceramic on my Shadow Black '22 GT (always garaged). I took a pic the day I picked her up from the shop, 2-day application process, and used it in my profile. A little pricey but a good investment.
Sponsored