Sponsored

Ceramic Coatings and High Spots

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
High spots in ceramic coating are typically caused by the product residue not being leveled in time before the coating is cured.

High spots are isolated, hazy or dull patches on the coated surface. Depending on the color of your vehicle, these can be easily picked or easily missed. In most cases, high spots are a user error type of issue, although some coatings are more prone to it due to quicker flash times.

The key to preventing high spots is stay organized, have good quality light and try to stay focused and distraction free. Being diligent with your wipe-off is key. However, even the pro's will have this crop up from time to time.

Having said all of that, high spots are fixable. In most cases, reapplying the coating over the area and buffing immediately will remove the high spots. In some cases, you may need to lightly spot polish and recoat. And no, you won't need to wet sand these high spots off.

This video is worth viewing as it shows the progression of high spots over a time period, and then how to remove them.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had these on my Shelby. Had Gtechniq Ultra applied and saw these dull hazy areas in certain lighting. The installer was great at taking care of these for me....

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
D: Thanks for the info on high spots..so far I have only caused one on the wife's car. As you stated, it cured hard as a rock and I thought it would stay there until I polished the area again. It did come off but it took a polisher and compound as you mentioned. MUCH better to catch it during the coating process and I learned to avoid the problem by wiping and wiping and wiping the applied area over and over. <grin>

However, I did NOT know that adding more fresh coating would re-start the curing spot and allow it to be much easier to remove. Many thanks.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
D: Thanks for the info on high spots..so far I have only caused one on the wife's car. As you stated, it cured hard as a rock and I thought it would stay there until I polished the area again. It did come off but it took a polisher and compound as you mentioned. MUCH better to catch it during the coating process and I learned to avoid the problem by wiping and wiping and wiping the applied area over and over. <grin>

However, I did NOT know that adding more fresh coating would re-start the curing spot and allow it to be much easier to remove. Many thanks.
Depending on the coating, it doesn't always work but it's a good first step to try before breaking out the polisher.
Sponsored