Sponsored

CEL after oil change and gas

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Furthermore, you can jump a car with another car with NEITHER of them connected to the battery ground. You can use chassis ground on both sides and power will flow. But according to you thats not possible...
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Furthermore, you can jump a car with another car with NEITHER of them connected to the battery ground. You can use chassis ground on both sides and power will flow. But according to you thats not possible...
Of course it's possible, the negative cable is still attached to the battery on both cars. If you removed one then it wouldn't work. The car chassis itself is isolated on rubber tires, so when you remove the battery negative, the electrons are perfectly happy to sit there and do nothing. You can touch the negative wire to the car body as much as you want, nothing will happen.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
So you're trying to tell me that a circuit that has hot side power connected to it cannot be grounded by any other means than the negative terminal of the power source thats connected to it?? Yeah thats not how any of this works. If power is still connected from the pos side of the battery, you can ground the circuit without using the negative side of the battery and you will get power. I've seen it, done it and been taught this. You better be careful if you are handling a hot side, and someone or something accidentally touch ground to the circuit you are connected to....
Yes, I am telling you exactly that. When you jump a car, you can connect to chassis ground. The negative battery cable is still connected, so chassis ground is still a connection to the negative terminal of the battery through the battery cable. You connect to chassis negative and that is connected to the negative battery cable which is connected to the battery.

I welcome you to go ahead and try to get power to anything with no connection to the battery negative. It is impossible. An electrical circuit needs to be a closed loop. If there is no connection back to the battery terminal creating a loop, current will not flow. This is electronics 101. If you were taught anything other than this, then you were taught wrong.

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
.. An electrical circuit needs to be a closed loop. If there is no connection back to the battery terminal creating a loop, current will not flow. This is electronics 101. If you were taught anything other than this, then you were taught wrong.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: 101% agreed
Can the admin please close this thread - it no longer has any relevance to the topic CEL/Oil/Gas

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yes, I am telling you exactly that. When you jump a car, you can connect to chassis ground. The negative battery cable is still connected, so chassis ground is still a connection to the negative terminal of the battery through the battery cable. You connect to chassis negative and that is connected to the negative battery cable which is connected to the battery.

I welcome you to go ahead and try to get power to anything with no connection to the battery negative. It is impossible. An electrical circuit needs to be a closed loop. If there is no connection back to the battery terminal creating a loop, current will not flow. This is electronics 101. If you were taught anything other than this, then you were taught wrong.
Except when the circuit is grounded to the body ground in the case I’ve been trying to explain for three pages now. And yes close this shit show down.

Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Except when the circuit is grounded to the body ground in the case I’ve been trying to explain for three pages now. And yes close this shit show down.
You're hopeless... everyone is telling you that you're wrong, but somehow you still think you know better. If the battery isn't connected to the same ground as the chassis, then nothing is "grounded". The chassis metal is floating at that point and will not provide a path for current to flow. Would you trust me if I told you that I'm an electrical engineer?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Highly unlikely.
That he’s an electrical engineer.

I guess you’d better tell my fluke meter it’s wrong as well. I can see voltage with my meter touching the neg side cable to chassis ground and leaving the positive side attached to the battery while metering both sides. So yeah carry on…

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

I guess you’d better tell my fluke meter it’s wrong as well. I can see voltage with my meter touching the neg side cable to chassis ground and leaving the positive side attached to the battery while metering both sides. So yeah carry on…
If the ground cable isn’t attached to the negative battery post at all, you’ll never see anything. Period.

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Wound up clearing the code and filled the tank up with 93 from another station along with gas treatment.

Cruised around for a few hours and would stop and cycle the car off for 5 minutes at a time every half hour or so and the scanner hasn’t detected the code and is reading all 4 banks again.

Glad I only put 5 gallons in to begin with and hopefully crisis is adverted. If not, I’ll just have to rebuild and do a heads/cams setup. I loathe having to deal with dealer and warranty shit.
Instead of just being at peace that the DTC has not reoccurred, why not view your LTFT and STFT data at various conditions (idle, cruise, etc.)? That way you know whether or not your fuel control is operating properly. Knowing where your LTFT is on both banks will give you an idea of how your engine is operating and how the PCM is compensating for what it's getting from the upstream O2 sensors. If both are near center, then you're fine. I'm not sure where the trip point is as different companies use different values but generally if you're at plus or minus 15% or more then the MIL illuminates with a lean or rich DTC.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP

I would love to see a picture including the meter, probe connections, and the battery in one pic. You know that the first step in nearly every service manual process for any car says to disconnect the negative battery cable right? I guess the whole world is wrong and you are the only one who is right.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
Wound up clearing the code and filled the tank up with 93 from another station along with gas treatment.
Glad it worked out.

I presumed you checked and re-snug the gas cap? You would be surprised how often a slightly loose gas cap will throw a check engine light because the evaporative emission system is not sealed like it is supposed to be.
You probably own a second car with a gas cap like I do. That or the oil cap came immediately to mind. Would a loose oil cap throw a code? My friend's Saab stopped on the higway due to a loose cap-which one, I forget.

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I would love to see a picture including the meter, probe connections, and the battery in one pic. You know that the first step in nearly every service manual process for any car says to disconnect the negative battery cable right? I guess the whole world is wrong and you are the only one who is right.
You know that’s not such an unbelievable concept these days right?
Sponsored