Sponsored

CEL after oil change and gas

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Changed the oil like I always do, 10qt of Pennzoil platinum plus with the FL-500S oil filter, and reset the oil change percentage on the cluster. I drove to a gas station 10 minutes away to get some drinks and added 5 gallons of 93 premium from shell. About half way back home, the CEL light comes on and I pull over to check things out. No signs of leakage, the oil level is right under the upper most circle right at the vertical lines above the hashmark on the dipstick. Drove home and checked again with no change so I slid a piece of cardboard under the car and let it sit for over 8 hours with no signs of leakage. Oil pressure is spot on, no noticeable changes in the cars driving characteristics.

Car is not tuned and never has been modified with a tune. Did the sensor go out coincidentally, or did I perhaps get some bad fuel?

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you look for codes yet?
My scanner broke a while ago and I’ve yet to replace it. Haven’t had time to drive but I’ll probably go by somewhere that can in the morning.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Order this.

IMG_0676.png

Shop Grunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mach 1
Clean MAF sensor with electronics cleaner. Inspect air intake duct work for leaks/vacuum leak. Least favorable diy scenario is spraying brake cleaner while engine is running but only use brake cleaner on a cool engine. Most shops would use a "smoke machine" of sorts to find vacuum leaks though. Could've knocked something loose while refilling oil.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clean MAF sensor with electronics cleaner. Inspect air intake duct work for leaks/vacuum leak. Least favorable diy scenario is spraying brake cleaner while engine is running but only use brake cleaner on a cool engine. Most shops would use a "smoke machine" of sorts to find vacuum leaks though. Could've knocked something loose while refilling oil.
I’ll give that a shot, thanks.

All I did was lift the car up, removed the oil cap, removed the plastic shroud to drain oil and replace filter, cleaned up and reversed the steps like I’ve done a million times before. Didn’t touch anything else besides the dipstick to check oil. Unless maybe I got a bad batch of gas or they filled the pump with the wrong gas.

LowPSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 RTR Series 1
Any autozone or OReillys will scan the car and give you a print out of the codes for free.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any autozone or OReillys will scan the car and give you a print out of the codes for free.
Yeah I wound up going last night. P0171 so seeing as how I didn’t touch anything else in the engine bay, I’m thinking maybe bad gas but I’ll have to look and give everything a once over to make sure. Car only has 16k miles on it so it shouldn’t be major.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wound up getting this message earlier from the FordPass app

IMG_0047.jpeg

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The only thing that really fits the crime here is the gas station you used. It sounds like you filled up with E85, or a fuel with an ethanol content higher than 20%. That will max out the adaptive learning limits on the stock tune. It's odd that it only popped for one bank and not both though. Maybe bank 2 is just pending at this time.

The problem is that you can cause damage by continuing to run it too lean like that.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only thing that really fits the crime here is the gas station you used. It sounds like you filled up with E85, or a fuel with an ethanol content higher than 20%. That will max out the adaptive learning limits on the stock tune. It's odd that it only popped for one bank and not both though. Maybe bank 2 is just pending at this time.

The problem is that you can cause damage by continuing to run it too lean like that.
It was unleaded 93 octane fuel, that station doesn’t even have a pump for E85. Yeah I haven’t driven it at all since I got it scanned and I plan on going to the dealer first thing in the morning to drop it off. I thought about trying to drain it or maybe add an additive of some sort but I don’t want to make it worse.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It was unleaded 93 octane fuel, that station doesn’t even have a pump for E85. Yeah I haven’t driven it at all since I got it scanned and I plan on going to the dealer first thing in the morning to drop it off. I thought about trying to drain it or maybe add an additive of some sort but I don’t want to make it worse.
That's what you paid for, yeah. But mistakes happen. Could have been a misdelivery, or a blending error at the distribution center where the truck was filled.

I'm just saying, short of a conveniently timed mechanical failure, there's not much else that really could be responsible. I saw in your other thread that you removed that charcoal insert from the intake, but since it's been removed for months, I'd be very surprised if that had anything to do with this. I suppose it's technically possible, but I've read through those threads and I don't recall people really having issues doing it.
Sponsored