Sponsored

Catch Cans BUY THEM!!!

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I have been retuning this car and ran into a glitch that occurs when attempting to force a down shift at lower RPM in high gear under lower loads. The car hesitates, stumbles, misfires, and then recovers and takes off. I was able to duplicate the issue whether in boost or not. This ruled out the bypass valve. I was being led to believe that it was tune related and possibly just dumping too much fuel at tip in and then over correcting causing the lean out spike and misfire.

The setup is a simple one. Just one "bolt-on" kit with a few upgraded mods - 2300TVS running 80mm pulley, Twin 67mm VMP TB, JLT 125 big air CAI, and ID 1050x injectors. AND NOW THE ADDED DRIVE AND PASSENGER OIL SEPARATORS...HINT HINT! The previous owner had never added oil separator catch cans(setup was on te car when I bought it. . I have never run above 10psi boost on my past setups or run into and/or had never had such an issue.So this was a learning lesson.

After speaking with the remote tuner, I made an appointment with the boys at Finishline to just review a few things to assure that the car was electrically and mechanically sound. We test drove the car and were able to duplicate and capture the event on the datalogger (man I love the HP tuner defice so much over the SCT though it is not as versatile with regard to making custom datalogs for troubleshooting aside from the custom config made by the tuner.

Further review from the experts indicated we needed to verify we weren't fighting oil build up in the intake or common plenum areas. Sure enough when we scoped the intake after pulling the head unit off we found plenty. IT was terrible but enough so that we pulled the intake, separated it and cleaned everything inside. Likewise we cleaned the TB, elbow, and the bypass valve area on the head unit. The rotors thankfully looked and felt clean.

Since I had not yet received the passenger side JLT oil separator (took 6 days to arrive UPS SUREPOST -- another thorn for another thread already created in AM vendor section) I was unable to test the car on the drive home. We make shifted the passenger side with a breather and blocked off the line to preserve vacuum functionality until I got home so I could then install the oil separator that finally arrive an hour after I got home.

The point here guys...DON'T CHEAP OUT! Don't assume you are good on any FI PD setup without runnign oil separators of some nature. IT will end up biting you. Buy them, fabricate them...or whatever route you wish, but at least cover your bases here and not find yourself spending 6+ hours pulling a head unit, an intake and playing oil mop up maid. If you are in my shoes this is not something you may be able to do in your driveway due to garage limitations (like me) or HOA regulations or whatever. So it could end up costing you twice what the two separators would have initially.

Why FRPP, Whpple, Magneson, Edelbrock, and Roush don't include these as standard parts for their kits I do not know. But they should consider it and not leaver it open as an option for the buyer. Its' like replacing a clutch system and not replacing the pilot bearing or TOB assembly and hoping for the best.

I hope this resolves this issue. We have pretty good confidence it will definitely help. Rain is coming today and tomorrow so I will not be able to drive the car and make sure any excess has cleared out before seeing how much this has helped. There may still need to be some tweaking performed. But we not know that all areas from spark plugs, to oil collecting in the intake to bypass valves are working properly, fuel system is more than happy etc., which will only ease the tuning revisit on this area if needed.

Bottom line - spend the extra money now on your new PD setup. BTW the car only has 5800 miles on it. The setup was installed when the car was new. So this doesn't take long to build up obviously and start becoming a potential problem.

My intention was to take photos yesterday but being under the weather and not feeling like dragging out my camera (sorry boys I hate smart phones and won't own one) to take photos for posting just did not happen. Plus it would have only added to the labor time in addressing the oil buildup issue.

Hope this foolish decision on my part helps another save more in the long run by spending a little additional now.
Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Had one installed on the passenger side of the engine before I went FI and I would get a little oil, but when I went FI, I noticed I got more so I added a driver's side can also. (Both JLT). I just upped the boost and horsepower this past winter, so I'm interested to see if I get more in the passenger side or any in the driver's side.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I know this is an FI post, but without looking at the engine bay, is there a way to add a driver side oil separator on an NA car? I already have a passenger side one.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
UPR. Both sides. It works.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I thought I read somewhere the Driver’s side was largely not needed. What’s the consensus, one or both sides? Passenger or driver?

For those with both sides, is there a difference in the amounts collected on each side?

Thanks!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I know this is an FI post, but without looking at the engine bay, is there a way to add a driver side oil separator on an NA car? I already have a passenger side one.
JLT makes one for N/A as I recall when I was on there. Go to their website.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
when my car was on 91 I wouldn't get much in my catch can, now with E85 It actually collects a decent amount. really happy I got the UPR catch can set up.

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I thought I read somewhere the Driver’s side was largely not needed. What’s the consensus, one or both sides? Passenger or driver?

For those with both sides, is there a difference in the amounts collected on each side?

Thanks!!
Good question. Driver side is not as bad as passenger side on PD setups based on what we found yesterday. That said, the phrase "not as bad" still directly indicates that there is still some. Last fall when I was preparing for tuning with a previous tuner, I pulled the TB and air tube off to clean the MAF and TB. I observed a small amount of oil collected in the elbow. Like a pinhead I ignored doing any more about it and assembled not giving a second thought. When we took apart yesterday after about 1500 miles of driving since I did that last fall the elbow and TB both has some mild oil film buildup in them however this time the intake tube was clean. I'll take the safe road on this and spend the extra cabbage and run both to minimize this happening again.

There are multiple options out there. None of them are bad that I have heard. Some are less expensive than others. I obtained a JLT catch can used at a steal so matching it with the passenger side was a no brainer. Some guys but a standard oil separator off the shelf at Jegs or Summit and fabricate up their own. Just depends on your ability and resources. I'll never run PD again without proper oil separation protection that is for sure.

I can only speak on PD setups. I cannot expound upon NA or centri or turbo setups.Would be great to hear some feedback from Centri, Turbo and big NA setups to have some additional 411 for people looking to be better informed.
Sponsored