Sponsored

Car wash?

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
How do you wash your mustang? By hand or at a car wash? I was told bringing it to a car wash would scratch and make swirls in the paint. Is that true?
I use a car wash. No issues with scratches/swirls. Years ago I used to have an hour a week to wash my car. Not anymore. I'd rather pay someone to do it. I do get it detailed/waxed occasionally.
Sponsored

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Keep in mind that swirl marks are not just from washing your car. You can easily create swirl marks from wiping the car dry. You can even put swirl marks on your car from waxing because the applicator was dirty.

Always wash and dry the car in the same pattern (left to right or right to left) to avoid swirly marks. If you always go in one direction the marks will be harder to see.

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Totally worth it. It's less work and more fun to use a foam cannon. I've only washed a car once with buckets only since I bought my foam cannon.

Note just foaming a car then rinsing it off will not leave the car clean. What it does is soften the dirty & grime so it comes off with little effort thus reducing the swirls & scratches you would get under a bucket only wash. Plus who doesn't like making a foamy mess?

The foam cannon came with an adapter to hook to a garden hose what I haven't tried.

The foam cannon is $72 on Amazon or $95 with a gallon of soap on Chemical Guys website.
If only I had access to a hose. That's not as expensive as I thought. So you foam and then do a normal wash mit wash?

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
It's just a car.

I do my best to hand wash it most of the time. Try to wax every spring and fall. But I work for a living, and have 2 kids and a wife. My desire for a clean car is greater then the amount of time I have.

So yes, from time to time, I use a touch free car wash and tip the guys well when they do a good job drying , vacuuming, and doing windows.

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
Touchless car wash weekly, with scattered hand washes and one polish so far. I work beachside at Patrick AFB, so touchless to get the salt spray off the car is much better than doing nothing.

Sponsored

Jeeden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Best car wash on the planet then go home and add the clay/wax/etc. Some people pay for a shrink or yoga, this is my therapy.

http://stationautowash.com/

MrPotato

Envious Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fusion SE 202A in Guard
There's another subforum dedicated to washing, waxing, claying, sealing, etc... lots of good tips there on techniques, products, and so forth.
Also, lots of YouTube videos (including some great ones from the people that actually make the products) that demonstrate the methods and products as well.

Lastly, unless I missed it, I didn't see a Foam Gun mentioned... only the Foam Cannons. The Foam Guns will hook right up to your hose, rather than needing a pressure washer. They work pretty well (although, they aren't as pretty--they do not coat your car with snow like the cannons do).

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have a foam cannon and it sure gets a ton of suds on the car, but I don't really think it makes much of a difference on softening up your dirt. It's not really worth the purchase or the extra fast consumption of soap.

TeddysStang

1st time Stang owner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
CarolinaCarConnections.info
First Name
Teddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT - 20" wheels
I always wash all my cars by hand. I have never in my life used an automatic car wash even if it's touchless. I wash mine with a bucket with grid guard and use Majestic Solutions (http://www.majesticsolutionsinc.com) a local NC auto detailer/auto supply store for my car care items. They make most of their products themselves or sell the top of the line itmems for the things that they don't make. For my car wash I use their Ultra Gloss Car wash. I used to use Griot's garage Brilliant Finish Car Wash, but this stuff is better. See pics below:
20150418_143121_RichtoneHDR.jpg
20150418_142932_RichtoneHDR.jpg
20150418_142938_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Sponsored

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
only time i go into a automatic car wash is if its in my gfs run down 2001 pt cruiser that we both hate and wish it would just die already.

Only thing that washes my car is my own hands, i dont even let friends/family help cuz i know theyll probably screw something up.

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
I have a foam cannon and it sure gets a ton of suds on the car, but I don't really think it makes much of a difference on softening up your dirt. It's not really worth the purchase or the extra fast consumption of soap.
I use 2oz of soap whether I bucket wash or use a foam cannon. The key is to let the suds sit (soak) on the car for 5 min or so which does soften the dirt/grime. The type of soap you use will make a difference as well.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
I keep the wax fresh, which makes washing a breeze. No need for any weapons (guns/cannons) just a basic water hose, a bucket, some soap, and a number of wash mitts. A nice light wipe with the mitt and the car is clean. Takes like 40 minutes. I'll touch up with some detailer spray, but not much. The less I touch the car, the better. Again, washing is a breeze if you have a good wax job.

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
2 bucket method for normal washing.

1 clean water bucket (with grit guard)
1 soap water bucket (with grit guard)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TTL0TE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for wash mit.

waffle weave for drying with microfiber to finish up with detailing spray/sealant.

absolutely no auto-washes that touch your car (touch-free only).

I also use my local quarter wash, but around midnight. Use their water and pressure washer.
Exactly as above except I have pressure washer at home. 2 bucket method, quality wash mit, quality soaps and detailed spray and you will always have a good wash. I use Adams products as they smell FANTASTIC and do an awesome job. Their detail spray (pink) is the best product, it can be used for almost every part you need to detail on your car.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
TeddysStang: from your photos, it appears you washed your DIBmobile at a carwash which uses pressure wands. My local No Touch car wash uses multiple jets...nothing touches my cars but water spray. Drive in and then drive out...no track to pull your car through and damage your rims. The drier is a giant fan...no fabric. I was wondering about your objection to automatic car washes.
Sponsored