Car Wash

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Is it safe to put a fabric hood through a big-standard garage car wash machine?
Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
No, should be hand washed to prevent damage. Soft cleaning brushes only else you start pulling up the roof fabric fibres.

An automated car wash like that will also swirl your paint good and proper, overall it'll age the car pretty quickly.

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Are you nutz? Get you arse out on your driveway and hand wash it yourself. Or, take several photos of you vehicle before taking it through a "big-standard car wash machine", have it washed, then take photos of the aftermath. Post photos here....hehe.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you nutz? Get you arse out on your driveway and hand wash it yourself. Or, take several photos of you vehicle before taking it through a "big-standard car wash machine", have it washed, then take photos of the aftermath. Post photos here....hehe.
This has just made me remember the exceptionally painful experience of having the roof replaced on a convertible Mustang, if the car wash mechanism catches or damages the roof you'll be more than punished for not hand washing it.

I don't even wash mine, I just vacuum it and re-coat it with 303, that keeps the dirt sat on top for the next vacuum.

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
A friend of mine suggested that I cover the wrinkles with a light cloth and use the steam from an iron. Hmmm, worth a try,

Sponsored

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
A friend of mine suggested that I cover the wrinkles with a light cloth and use the steam from an iron. Hmmm, worth a try,
Works on every other fabric, can't see why not on a top.

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
Winter I go through a touchless car wash to remove road salt about once a week. No issues. Summer is hand wash. Never, ever go through a standard car wash. My car is ceramic coated.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
A convertible top is tougher than your car's paint, especially a Mustangs paint. If a car wash doesn't hurt the paint, it won't hurt the top.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A convertible top is tougher than your car's paint, especially a Mustangs paint. If a car wash doesn't hurt the paint, it won't hurt the top.
It’s well known car washes ruin paint and there’s a reason why very soft brushes and applicants are specifically advised for convertible tops.

Last One

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I've used touchless car washes for years on different convertibles with no issues and no leaks. The tops are also treated a couple of times each year.

Sponsored

Last One

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
so, how exactly do you treat them?
I use Ragg Top but there are others that will do the job. Buying a top quality brush to clean the top first is part of the process as well as following manufacturers instructions. This includes covering all the windows and cleaning off any overspray. If you have a garage available, it will make the application process easier for sure.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
I use a brushless wash in College Park most weeks. No problems.

lokerola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
so, how exactly do you treat them?
I've used Raggtopp and 303. Both are very good. I didn't go the trouble of taping off the trim and paint. I just had a rag and a bottle of detailer nearby and if I got some overspray from the sealer on paint or glass, I just wiped it off. Easy-peasy.

I buy my detailing stuff from autogeek (no affiliation).

https://www.autogeek.net/contopcleanp.html
Sponsored