Sponsored

Car and driver Camaro vs Mustant GTPP numbers

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I saw a video showing the new aluminum framed F150 has terrible crash ratings. That may have hurt its score for overall truck of the year.
It has an Aluminum Body. With a Steel Frame comprised of lots of High Strength Steel.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/f-150-crew-cab-pickup

The Super Crew also scored G for Good in all ratings. The Super cab does not have the same small overlap provisions and scored less. However those provisions are supposed to make it to all trucks.

From a competitive point no one cares enough about the Colorado. (which I think is a mistake, I have owned Rangers for years and want another one) People with stakes in the truck game are butt hurt over the F150, and how Ford offers and aluminum truck for the same price as there Ram and Silverado which platforms are 10+ years old.

I do know that the F150 has out performed the competition according to alot of their own internal standards.

We still don't know alot about the Ranger. I asked my friend about the Dakota coming back, and he there isn't enough room in the market, and money to build a quality midsized truck.

GM is most certainly gearing up, and they have alot of unique aluminum fastening methods which is used heavily in the doors.

But semi trucks have used Alum cabs for very long time. Issue comes with how to hold them together either glue, bolts, hucks or Magna grips or something that pierce both pieces together which adds weight back in. Then used steel reinforcements to help strengthen it. Then if fastener is steel then Alum and steel have chemical reaction to each other over time. Very little Alum parts are welded together in the cabs and sleepers. If Ford can mass produce carbon Fiber cheap that would be the way to go
The F150 and most aluminum vehicles are glued together, rivets, flow drills screws ect are used in conjunction. They just lap panels and up gauge. Very little steel us used within the F150 body structure, a single panel to be exact.

There are huge advances in mix material joining. As mixed material strategies afford alot of cost, strength, and weight benefits.
Sponsored

Last edited:

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It has an Aluminum Body. With a Steel Frame comprised of lots of High Strength Steel.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/f-150-crew-cab-pickup

The Super Crew also scored G for Good in all ratings. The Super cab does not have the same small overlap provisions and scored less. However those provisions are supposed to make it to all trucks.

From a competitive point no one cares enough about the Colorado. (which I think is a mistake, I have owned Rangers for years and want another one) People with stakes in the truck game are butt hurt over the F150, and how Ford offers and aluminum truck for the same price as there Ram and Silverado which platforms are 10+ years old.

I do know that the F150 has out performed the competition according to alot of their own internal standards.

We still don't know alot about the Ranger. I asked my friend about the Dakota coming back, and he there isn't enough room in the market, and money to build a quality midsized truck.

GM is most certainly gearing up, and they have alot of unique aluminum fastening methods which is used heavily in the doors.

The F150 and most aluminum vehicles are glued together, rivets, flow drills screws ect are used in conjunction. They just lap panels and up gauge. Very little steel us used within the F150 body structure, a single panel to be exact.

There are huge advances in mix material joining. As mixed material strategies afford alot of cost, strength, and weight benefits.
I know all of that Peterbilt models 387, 587 and 579 are glued together. This all started with Peterbilt in 1999 and Kenworth started it slightly before that with T2000. Peterbilt and Kenworth are owned by Paccar. So gluing metals together nothing new plus using Alum cabs and sleepers for something like 50 yrs or more

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
This is not subjective...but fact.
A fully equipped small Colorado truck (before taxes) goes for about $38,000. They are NOT cheap. Why people would buy a toy Colorado truck for so much money when anyone can easily find a full size F150 for that same price.

Hmmm.... Unless they are afraid to drive a full size, more comfortable, more competent truck!
I do think it has a lot to do with the size of the truck. Not everyone lives in a place that is full size compliant haha. I for one would never ever buy a mid size truck. But I live in the middle of missouri, so i can use a full size. And it would be a tough choice between a F150 and Sierra!

This thread is already super derailed so I might as well jump in with this debate. I understand why some people would want a midsize vs a full size. The 2 problems I see is that

1: These new midsize trucks, are not much smaller than a full size. IIRC, a Colorado Crew cab long box is only 5" shorter than a double cab Silverado. The silverado is only 6" wider as well. If I lived in the city, or frequently visited the city, yes that is a big deal. However for those that live in the suburbs I do not see those dimensions, and say WOW that full size truck is a tank compared to this mid size truck.

2: With the rebates offered on full size trucks, you can get a full size extended cab for either the same price or less than a crew cab colorado.

*Interior dimensions are almost identical between midsize crew cab and full size extended cab

OP
OP

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Why do people complain about what others buy? :confused: I never understand that. Just because you would do it doesn't mean I would. That's why we have tons of choices so you can buy what I want, not what someone thinks I should buy. :cheers:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I know all of that Peterbilt models 387, 587 and 579 are glued together. This all started with Peterbilt in 1999 and Kenworth started it slightly before that with T2000. Peterbilt and Kenworth are owned by Paccar. So gluing metals together nothing new plus using Alum cabs and sleepers for something like 50 yrs or more
Most of this isn't new, it's just scale.; coupled with the challenges of differing materials and fastening them quickly in mass production. One of Ford and BMW's biggest issue when pursuing different materials to lightweight is getting enough of it.

Heck Sherman tanks where powered by Ford DOHC all aluminum motors...

Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Most of this isn't new, it's just scale.; coupled with the challenges of differing materials and fastening them quickly in mass production. One of Ford and BMW's biggest issue when pursuing different materials to lightweight is getting enough of it.

Heck Sherman tanks where powered by Ford DOHC all aluminum motors...
Hard to keep track what was used in Sherman tank depend on who built the tank

Arrowsigns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadi-Mustang-Silvarado-
I am in charge of a pretty good size fleet and purchase $500,000 worth of vehicles every year. I have the option to purchase any brand I choose but I must justify my actions year after year. We keep our vehicles on a ten year rotation so we run them hard for a long period of time. I have no issues with any brands but my justification on purchases comes down to this. Most truck for the dollar. Longevity with fewest mechanical issues. Fewest recalls which cause down time. And most important of all, ability to work hard. For me it comes down to this and believe me I have documentation to back my decisions running 500 trucks and cars.

Hardest working truck hands down is the Ford F 350 Super Duty. Solid front axle can't be beat along with all of the variations that can be ordered. Ford Fleet knows the truck business and does it well. The Chevrolet heavy duty has been good but the independent front suspension kills the truck for toughness. With a snowplow on board the front end lasts about 35,000 miles and starts to wear out from the sheer weight of a heavy duty plow. The Ram heavy duty is just ok but the Cummins diesel is awesome. The truck surrounding the drive train is not that great.

The half ton market is close on 2 of my choices. They both have good and bad. The traditional push rod GM V8 is still a great motor. The 5.0 Ford V8 is a great motor also. Not sure about the Ram half ton because we have not purchased any due to the GM and Ford doing a great job. One engine that I really like is the Ford Eco Boost. That engine pulls a trailer like no half ton I have ever seen! Incredible tow strength.

Small trucks we buy only a few every couple of years. The past models of Chevy S 10 have been a total nightmare and were rotated out of the fleet quickly. Very poor trucks in my opinion. I have 5 new Chevy Colorados and they are much more refined than the outgoing S 10 and are tons better built. We have had numerous recalls and a do not drive order from Chevrolet. Maybe just first year jitters. (lol) I have tried to purchase Toyota Tacomas for fleet but they limit the numbers available and when the number is met they cut them off. Tough to get on fleet purchase. Ford Fleet is telling me nothing at all on a possible return of the Ranger. Wish it would come back. Past Rangers have been one incredibly tough little truck.

The debate on aluminum bodies rages on but I have been told by my GM fleet guy that GM is getting their suppliers lined up as we speak preparing for the change to aluminum bodies in the future. GM trucks do have aluminum hoods now and I have been told that other body panels will go aluminum one by one. I believe it is the future for all manufacturers. Ford just took the plunge first. The body shop that I use has nothing bad to say about aluminum and in fact quite a few of the shop guys own the new F 150 due to the new crash ratings.

I realize that I will get flamed no doubt but I call it as I see it every day of the week in my line of work.
Hardest working truck hands down in your "environment" should be included in your post. Snow plows and front end rigidity are not a factor at all in warmer climates. I also run a fleet of trucks on my dime so cost, reliability , fuel ect... All factor into the fleet purchase. Not 500,000 a year but 20 truck payments a month for me. I do agree with the Dodge review - Cummins will run forever but the rest of the truck is junk and prepare for multiple tranny rebuilds during a Standard work life cycle. Ford diesel has come a long way 2011 to present Tranny holds up and Ford bailed the terrible twin turbo 2008-10 models. Chevy on the diesels work best for me- Allison Duramax combo is tough to beat add Transynd to the Allison and heavy maintenance miles are at 150K. I like Ford on the gas motor trucks - Chevy diesels-
Small trucks I don't consider work trucks but look like great grocery getter.
Back to the Mustang / Camaro business.

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
This thread started with how the new Camaro slaughters the Mustang and now we're talking about trucks? Good misdirection guys!

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
I test drove fullsize F150's and RAMs

Two years ago I needed a truck for business. I first looked at the Colorado, the Taco and the Nisan Frontier. They were ridiculously expensive for what they delivered. The drive and rode like crap. They were tight and cramped inside.

For me, it was a NO BRAINER to step up to a real full size truck that can do work, tow and carry passengers and loads while delivering style and a comfortable ride. I acknowledge what you are saying but no one ever accused some car buyters as being smart.
BTW, the little toy trucks achieve no better MPG than the full size trucks and in many cases WORSE MPG. But some people have a mental block and are immune to processing facts and learning to understand and evaluate choices. As they say, there is an ass for every seat.
I also test drove the Colorado and TRD Taco. I went with the Taco because:

1. I liked the way it looks

2. It makes a great off road sports 4x4

3. It is not so bulky that parking it feels like docking an oil tanker (although it is big as I have 4 door version-Tacos have evolved from small sized to medium).

4. Most importantly: It fits in my Garage next to my SRT. The F150 would not have.

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
We went from the Camaro kicking butt, to thePill spending numerous pages worrying about an inch and more weight, to truck talk. Awesome!

When can we start talking about how hot the Victoria's Secret Angels are?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
We went from the Camaro kicking butt, to thePill spending numerous pages worrying about an inch and more weight, to truck talk. Awesome!

When can we start talking about how hot the Victoria's Secret Angels are?
Nah...my fiance is way hotter and much, much more well built than any of them ;)

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Nah...my fiance is way hotter and much, much more well built than any of them ;)
That's great but I have to say it......

Pics or it didn't happen. :D
Sponsored