Sponsored

Canister Oil filter on 2017 GT350R

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Quite easy really if you look at all the facts; we've been given a wrench to "check" or retighten the filter as required. An owner should Never have to be checking their oil filter out of fear that it may come loose and destroy their engine...

If the canister was not a superior design, then you would also see a specific wrench given to future owners for them to "check" theirs as well. Dealership mishaps with regards to not torquing down the filters are definitely an issue, but seeing as there is no specific wrench or notice accompanying the updated cars telling owners to check their filters, then logic says it must not be necessary with the new design.
So an owner should never have to lug nut torque and when the rim breaks Ford must eat the cost? :shrug: Things happen, parts wear and come loose/break. You are correct, one SHOULD not have to check but is a few minutes of time monthly as insurance not worth the benefit of it not vibrating loose versus months while Ford replaces the engine under warranty? I check my GT every so often too; it literally cannot hurt anything and takes all of 2 minutes to check the ft lbs. The flip side is MUCH worse.

I can point you to dozens of instances on the internet of varying cars the filters fell off damaging the car. Simply google "oil filter fell off." Miatas, corvettes, hondas, Nissans, Toyotas, on and on. It simply happens and it's not set it and forget it despite common belief; just like you should check your lug torque every month or two for piece of mind. A few minutes saves expensive damage.

As I said, Im sure it's for users to do their own changes at home to ensure it's on there tight enough; and if needed to retighten properly. NVH is a known issue with these FPC engines, there is no way around that.

I never said the canister was not a better design in terms of of staying on the block. Is it "better" (flow etc) no one knows, but I doubt it. It's not some conspiracy to give new owners a better flowing filter. it may simply be cost benefit that they've replaced x engines at a high cost due to filter issues, and used statistics to determine future failures, and changing the design was cheaper. It may as simple as the canister design is a more "fool proof" design or has some extra mechanism that it cannot vibrate and turn off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Yeahhhh this is kinda bullshit.. they wouldn't be switching to an entirely new housing/cartridge style filter if they didn't deem something to be wrong with the original design. Perhaps it was simply due to too many issues with dealers not following specific torque settings, or perhaps they determined that even if torqued correctly the original design was still vibrating free after X number of miles.

Pretty shitty that it is an entirely new design that all of the 15's/16's/more than half of the 17's can't even be retrofitted with... for someone like myself that intends to keep this car forever, it is a little disappointing/worrying not being able to utilize the newer design that must clearly be superior from what can only be a reliability standpoint.

Hmmmmmm...... where have I heard this argument before.....

No offense but sounds very familiar!

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
Oh and I also have like 3 remaining new spin-style OEM oil filters.... can't use these no more! :headbonk:

34180320415_9cbf7435b2_z.jpg
I know a guy that you could pawn those off on...............:D

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I know a guy that you could pawn those off on...............:D
They're like what.... $20+ each retail right? I'll send all 3 to someone for $30 plus shipping! :D

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I stocked up on a few myself. Should keep me going for another year. I prefer to use these over the element. I can just pop a hole in it and lett'r drain. We won't be required to install the new canister will we?

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
OK us old cars don't get the new canister. NO SWEAT, I didn't want it anyway! :) Its easier with the old style. You just throw the darn thing out and you can pop a hole in it to drain and it won't get all over shit. Thank you Ford for letting me keep my 'old' style, makes life easier for me. With my clamp the damn thing aint ever spinning free anyway.

Sponsored

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
hmmm...then what is the advantage to this filter over the current one? Just that it doesn't require an adapter to use with a torque wrench?

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I think the combination of the larger diameter threads, plastic to aluminum interface and o-rings, makes this filter arrangement less prone to loosening. My 20 year old Porsche has this type of filter, but with just 1 o-ring. After loosening it, it still has quite a bit of friction in it as you remove it, requiring the tool to be used for ~1/2 the removal. At the time, Porsche was touting this filter as being more environmentally friendly, since you are just disposing of a paper element, and not all that metal. It's cheaper, too - I think I pay ~$8 or something and it comes with a new o-ring.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
So an owner should never have to lug nut torque and when the rim breaks Ford must eat the cost? :shrug: Things happen, parts wear and come loose/break. You are correct, one SHOULD not have to check but is a few minutes of time monthly as insurance not worth the benefit of it not vibrating loose versus months while Ford replaces the engine under warranty? I check my GT every so often too; it literally cannot hurt anything and takes all of 2 minutes to check the ft lbs. The flip side is MUCH worse.

I can point you to dozens of instances on the internet of varying cars the filters fell off damaging the car. Simply google "oil filter fell off." Miatas, corvettes, hondas, Nissans, Toyotas, on and on. It simply happens and it's not set it and forget it despite common belief; just like you should check your lug torque every month or two for piece of mind. A few minutes saves expensive damage.

As I said, Im sure it's for users to do their own changes at home to ensure it's on there tight enough; and if needed to retighten properly. NVH is a known issue with these FPC engines, there is no way around that.

I never said the canister was not a better design in terms of of staying on the block. Is it "better" (flow etc) no one knows, but I doubt it. It's not some conspiracy to give new owners a better flowing filter. it may simply be cost benefit that they've replaced x engines at a high cost due to filter issues, and used statistics to determine future failures, and changing the design was cheaper. It may as simple as the canister design is a more "fool proof" design or has some extra mechanism that it cannot vibrate and turn off.
I do agree with most of what you said, and for sure I don't think the new design will flow or perform any better, and honestly if it does perform marginally better that is not overly important from my standpoint.

I just assume based on the direction from Ford for owners to check their oil filters periodically without specifying the same for the new design, that it must be unnecessary with the new part.

My only point is that if any of the reason behind the switch the new design was related to the filters vibrating free that is not related to human error, than the redesign should have been implemented in such a way that the canister filter could also be utilized by the rest of the GT350's.

Hmmmmmm...... where have I heard this argument before.....

No offense but sounds very familiar!
No offense taken. But if you think this is similar to the oil cooler recall and can't see the difference, then your name must be Stevie Wonder :lol: :D

Big difference between people assuming capabilities based on marketing lingo/not comprehending the full scope of the information available, versus an oil filter redesign that could potentially eliminate any risk associated with losing your engine because you don't check it periodically..

My only thought is that it should have been made such that it could be adapted to the older cars. If it were only related to human error, much cheaper to provide the dealerships with a training pamphlet and a filter wrench than to redesign the housing and a new filter, so IMO it indicates at least to some degree that they determined the filter could come loose even if it were torqued correctly. I guess my point is that how often should you check it in that case? Once a month? Once every X number of miles? Every time you take the car out? If the vibrations are enough to vibrate it free even when torqued correctly, that IS a design flaw and should be remedied.

[MENTION=21976]ShadowBlackR[/MENTION] can't really tell but does the inside of the filter wrench look like it has a thin rubber ring attached to it? I picked up a filter wrench for mine last year, with the correct # of points but the dam thing still requires a paper towel in order to get it torqued correctly, and at that point then it becomes almost impossible to get off as it binds with the towel :lol: :headbonk:

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Here you go. It is not mine. Cool they have the VIN on them.
Well, the old oil filter maybe inferior to the new style in terms of staying put perhaps. But at least the wrench we're getting is some cool swag. The old oil filter looks cooler too (IMHO), with the cobra logo on it. Sour grapes? Nah, it is what it is. :headbonk:
Sponsored