Sponsored

Canister Oil filter on 2017 GT350R

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Yo!!! FB GT350 owners page is having a meltdown over this canister filter!!!! Then some how the OPG is brought up. Bet somehow it is all connected to the cooler fiasco. CONSPIRACY!!!!
IM OUT!!!!
Good Night!
whatever you will be right back complaining about complainers. you are never out.
Sponsored

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
LOL, My buddy replied that he had 'borrowed" the image also. No telling who this actually belongs to. Gotta love the internet.

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
Shadow, can you show a shot of the inside of the wrench, please?
Here you go. It is not mine. Cool they have the VIN on them.
freefilter1.jpg
freefilter2.jpg

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Assuming one is "better" than the other is a fallacy.

They very likely did this as dealerships were not tightening them correctly and the vibrations of the FPC were knocking them off costing Ford tens of thousands per new engine when the oil leaked out.

Hence the wrench. Tighten it with the wrench to that torque and check it at home; we gave you the wrench. And now the dealerships cannot screw it up.

There is no evidence a properly torqued normal filter is worse than the canister setup or that this is some conspiracy by Ford because the canister setup is a "better" setup. At best it is a more convenient setup for user and dealership to ensure no leaks; but so is giving the filter torque a check every month or so with the wrench they gave.

Sponsored

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
Ok, so as a "old" GT350 owner, you get your new oil filter & wrench kit.

Being the average Joe, or not having space/time to do your own oil change, you have a dealer do it. You dont want to give them your fancy oil wrench with your VIN and have them scratch it up or have it disappear...

What happens if you do have lost/loose oil filter issues down the road? Customer *HAS* to provide wrench to Ford, *HAS* to check oil filter torque every so often to be in warranty? :D

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Ok, so as a "old" GT350 owner, you get your new oil filter & wrench kit.

Being the average Joe, or not having space/time to do your own oil change, you have a dealer do it. You dont want to give them your fancy oil wrench with your VIN and have them scratch it up or have it disappear...

What happens if you do have lost/loose oil filter issues down the road? Customer *HAS* to provide wrench to Ford, *HAS* to check oil filter torque every so often to be in warranty? :D
I can only assume the dealerships were provided with one (generic one) for cars brought in. It would make no sense otherwise.

This is for owners to tighten at home and keep an eye on them which is why they have the VIN etc. Prevent the problem before a big one happens and Ford has to pay for it.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Assuming one is "better" than the other is a fallacy.

They very likely did this as dealerships were not tightening them correctly and the vibrations of the FPC were knocking them off costing Ford tens of thousands per new engine when the oil leaked out.

Hence the wrench. Tighten it with the wrench to that torque and check it at home; we gave you the wrench. And now the dealerships cannot screw it up.

There is no evidence a properly torqued normal filter is worse than the canister setup or that this is some conspiracy by Ford because the canister setup is a "better" setup. At best it is a more convenient setup for user and dealership to ensure no leaks; but so is giving the filter torque a check every month or so with the wrench they gave.
Quite easy really if you look at all the facts; we've been given a wrench to "check" or retighten the filter as required. An owner should Never have to be checking their oil filter out of fear that it may come loose and destroy their engine...

If the canister was not a superior design, then you would also see a specific wrench given to future owners for them to "check" theirs as well. Dealership mishaps with regards to not torquing down the filters are definitely an issue, but seeing as there is no specific wrench or notice accompanying the updated cars telling owners to check their filters, then logic says it must not be necessary with the new design.

dsm_mikey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I have a 2016 and am glad to see continuous improvement from Ford on this platform...that might mean it could be around a bit longer!

Love the fact that manufactuers continually improve their product!

We bought what we bought! I am very happy with what I received with my 2016 GT350R! I can deal with the fact there is a different style oil filter out there! Some people just can't stand the fact someone might have a "Better" car than them...even an oil filter.:doh: I am glad to see this change as it means they care about putting out the best possible product that will last. Ford SHOULD keep continually improving their product. Ford should NOT have to "upgrade" everyone's car for free as they improve it. If so, then I want my FREE upgrade to my 1979 Pinto to the newest 2.3 ecoboost engine NOW!!! Come on FORD, I still have my 1979 Pinto.:lol:

I am guessing it was done to prevent premature spin off of the oil filter as someone else mentioned. I think it will be aggravated if you track your car. If you do not track your car it should not even matter. Time will tell.

To FORD: Please keep the continual improvements coming! Love to see this engine evolve over time to get even better!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Quite easy really if you look at all the facts; we've been given a wrench to "check" or retighten the filter as required. An owner should Never have to be checking their oil filter out of fear that it may come loose and destroy their engine...

If the canister was not a superior design, then you would also see a specific wrench given to future owners for them to "check" theirs as well. Dealership mishaps with regards to not torquing down the filters are definitely an issue, but seeing as there is no specific wrench or notice accompanying the updated cars telling owners to check their filters, then logic says it must not be necessary with the new design.
I am not sure the filter wrench is so that the filter gets checked periodically. At least I have not read or heard about that being the reason. I have TQ'ed mine and have no issues. Even checked during my last track session and after nothing nada.

Sponsored

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I am not sure the filter wrench is so that the filter gets checked periodically. At least I have not read or heard about that being the reason. I have TQ'ed mine and have no issues. Even checked during my last track session and after nothing nada.
Thats my thought as well. I made sure my tech and service manager was aware of the torque specs and haven't had any issues with the filter coming loose...I'm thinking these are being sent out to inform owners of the requirements & give them the tool needed if they change the oil themselves or have someone other than Ford performing their oil changes. I'm sure that with these, they are also sending something to all of their dealers to keep them informed as well to avoid future "hand-tightening" issues. The new design seems to be just to avoid the "make sure you torque the filter to 16-18 ft lbs" conversation all together. At the end of the day, as long as you are aware of the torque specs, the end result should be the same as the new design.

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
I decided to stock up in case I had one fall off. :lol:

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
BTW, I "think" the new canister filter part #'s are:
Ford part # FT4AZ6731A. It is a Motorcraft filter part number of FL2062
Still confirming.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
My '17 has the new canister style. Here's a zoomed-in pic from the top POV.... under the hood. I circled it in yellow... it's just to the right of and under the alternator... kinda hidden from up top but one can see it better in live view.
gt350-oil-canister.jpg

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Oh and I also have like 3 remaining new spin-style OEM oil filters.... can't use these no more! :headbonk:

34180320415_9cbf7435b2_z.jpg
Sponsored