Canadian 2018 Mustang Gt (300A) limited to 7000rpm

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
Every GT owner affected by this would agree that it's completely unacceptable. We paid $45k to $55k+ CAD ,along with 12% tax, for a 2018+ Mustang GT with an advertised 7400 RPM redline that instead only displays a 6500 rpm redline, because it's the the rpm gauge from the Ecoboost, a completely different engine.

If Ford decided to not even bother spending a small amount of money to have the proper redline for the 110 countries outside of the US where the Mustang is sold, what does that say about their overall quality and attention to detail? It's ridiculous that Ford has been installing the wrong part into the GT now for two straight years, and they still haven't fixed it with the 2019 GT's either.
I have a 2018 GT Premium and, of course, it has the dreaded Ecoboost 6500 RPM tach. Frankly, I couldn't care less. Ford has been doing this kind of stuff for years and I don't expect it's going to stop anytime soon. The Ecoboost tach in my GT doesn't change anything about the way my engine revs. It's simply a visual thing that I choose to ignore. Canadians aren't the only ones experiencing this kind of nonsense. European RHD Bullitt owners are outraged that their cars have no center dash gauges. Apparently, Ford isn't prepared to spend the money to re-engineer the dash to fit these gauges in RHD Bullitts. For whatever reason, European Bullitts don't have strut tower braces, either.

As for overall quality and detail, these are things that have never been a high priority for Mustangs. Just read the posts here about panel gap problems, bumper color mismatches, paint flaws, etc. When I want to see overall quality of fit and finish I just look over at my wife's 2018 Nissan Rogue SUV. Head and shoulders above my Mustang in just about every respect. Sad.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
For any Ecoboost owner perturbed by the negative use of the 7000rpm tachometer, let me say this. We V6 guys were using those tachometers before you came along. So they are really V6 tachometers and you got them by default! :cwl:

MustangVelocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
For any Ecoboost owner perturbed by the negative use of the 7000rpm tachometer, let me say this. We V6 guys were using those tachometers before you came along. So they are really V6 tachometers and you got them by default! :cwl:
There is no way this is a cost cutting measure. The cost and effort needed to add the proper rpm gauge to the km/h speedometer would be minimal, especially since this part will be needed for all 2018, 2019 and 2020 Mustang GT's. Ford also went to the trouble of making the analog rpm gauge with the proper redline for all Ford GT350's (EDIT: since the model was first released) with the km/h speedometer, despite this vehicle selling minimal units annually.

According to my 'legal team' lol, their litigation lawyer says this would qualify for a class action lawsuit, ranging from Ford purposely..

- installing an incorrect part, and instead using another part from a completely different engine, which as a result displays inaccurate information to the driver regarding maximum engine performance.

- deceiving the customer by indicating a much lower redline, in order to possibly reduce warranty claims on the V8 engine, which they possibly know has potential reliability issues if the advertised 7500 rpm redline is used consistently.

- false advertising, as the 'displayed 7500 redline' was used by Ford as a major selling feature for the Gen 3 coyote engine.

- failure to act and rectify the situation, despite the customer complaints about this issue since late 2017. Not only did Ford ignore the issue, they failed to fix the problem with all 2018 models, as well as all 2019 models too. This implies Ford doesn't care about their customers within this market region, and regards them as inconsequential.

Obviously for a class action lawsuit to go forward, there would have to be enough people who want to get this resolved and actually take part in this litigation. It appears Ford is banking on this not happening.

If only we could get the mailing address for every owner of a 2018+ GT who is affected by this, and give them this information (basically any GT that doesn't have the 401A package).

As others have posted, here are a few more comparison pics..
Screenshot_20181024_210229.png
IMG_20181024_211451.jpg
View attachment 313584 View attachment 313585
Screenshot_20181024_213127.png
Screenshot_20181024_212258.png
IMG_20181024_214004.jpg
Screenshot_20181024_213350.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
There is no way this is a cost cutting measure. The cost and effort needed to add the proper rpm gauge to the km/h speedometer would be minimal, especially since this part will be needed for all 2018, 2019 and 2020 Mustang GT's. Ford also went to the trouble of making the analog rpm gauge with the proper redline for all Ford GT350's with the km/h speedometer, despite this vehicle selling minimal units annually.

According to my 'legal team' lol, their litigation lawyer says this would qualify for a class action lawsuit, ranging from Ford purposely..

- installing an incorrect part, and instead using another part from a completely different engine, which as a result displays inaccurate information to the driver regarding maximum engine performance.

- deceiving the customer by indicating a much lower redline, in order to possibly reduce warranty claims on the V8 engine, which they possibly know has potential reliability issues if the advertised 7500 rpm redline is used consistently.

- false advertising, as the 'displayed 7500 redline' was used by Ford as a major selling feature for the Gen 3 coyote engine.

- failure to act and rectify the situation, despite the customer complaints about this issue since late 2017. Not only did Ford ignore the issue, they failed to fix the problem with all 2018 models, as well as all 2019 models too. This implies Ford doesn't care about their customers within this market region, and regards them as inconsequential.

Obviously for a class action lawsuit to go forward, there would have to be enough people who want to get this resolved and actually take part in this litigation. It appears Ford is banking on this not happening.

If only we could get the mailing address for every owner of a 2018+ GT who is affected by this, and give them this information (basically any GT that doesn't have the 401A package).

As others have posted, here are a few more comparison pics..
Screenshot_20181024_210229.png
IMG_20181024_211451.jpg
View attachment 313584 View attachment 313585
Screenshot_20181024_213127.png
Screenshot_20181024_212258.png
IMG_20181024_214004.jpg
Screenshot_20181024_213350.png
I'm not sure about those points lol

One thing that is incorrect it that the 350 rpm gauge never changed from 2015-2018+. Ford didn't just randomly change the cluster in 2018.

MustangVelocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I think you misunderstood. I never said the GT350 rpm gauges changed. I included them in the post to show that Ford went to the effort to indicate the proper rpm redline for km/h market on the Mustang GT350, which sells in much, MUCH smaller numbers than the Mustang GT (at least in Canada, where the GT350 is $30K+ more than a Premium GT). Yet Ford hasn't bothered to update the GT analog rpm gauge for the km/h metric market, despite it being their best selling sports car, and the best selling sports car in the Canadian market for all manufacturers.

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I think you misunderstood. I never said the GT350 rpm gauges changed. I included them in the post to show that Ford went to the effort to indicate the proper rpm redline for km/h market on the Mustang GT350, which sells in much, MUCH smaller numbers than the Mustang GT (at least in Canada, where the GT350 is $30K+ more than a Premium GT). Yet Ford hasn't bothered to update the GT analog rpm gauge for the km/h metric market, despite it being their best selling sports car, and the best selling sports car in the Canadian market for all manufacturers.
You answered your own point: there is more margin in a 350 to do these things. GTs aren't special and built to a price point.

MustangVelocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
You answered your own point: there is more margin in a 350 to do these things. GTs aren't special and built to a price point.
Sure, but many more customers are affected by the improper rpm gauge due to the larger sales volume. That would certainly justify fixing it, and the cost do have the proper gauge is minimal since it's already been made on the US version. All they have to do is update the gauge template with the existing US rpm gauge. Regardless, there is no excuse, especially for one of the largest auto manufacturer's in the world.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yeah they went through the effort one time before and it hasn’t changed since for the GT350 because there is no need to. The cluster hasn’t changed since 2016 (I don’t think they exported any 350s in 2015). That’s why saying they changed it for 2018 is misleading. It was already that way. Just like how the exported cars had the KMH speedometers as well long before the 7th gen Mustang came out. Like I said before Ford doesn’t care. They only care about money like any other corporation.

That being said all those points being used to sue Ford aren’t going to work. The cluster is not stopping anyone from revving the engine (though it might be a good thing considering all the babies hitting redline once and freaking out the engine is going to blow). I don’t know why Ford didn’t change it and no one to this day has the answer.

MustangVelocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I never said the GT350 rpm gauge was changed for 2018, I said the GT rpm gauge wasn't changed for 2018 to reflect the new redline. Apologies for misleading, I thought people would understand the point I was trying to make, that being Ford put the proper rpm gauge in the GT350 for both the US and Canadian markets, yet didn't bother to do it for the 2018+ GT.

Imagine getting a 7000 rpm gauge after buying a GT350. For the GT's, it's still a big issue regardless of it 'just being a GT'. I would say the GT350 cost wise isn't really 'special' (as HeelToe mentioned), at least price wise, since they don't cost much more in the US when compared to a similarly equiped premium GT.

So to clarify, in the photos I just listed them as 2018 gauges to be consistent for the comparison between the different models for the GT350 and GT for both Canadian and US markets. Ford has been installing the proper rpm gauge for the GT350 since that model first became available.

Marsalad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda MX-5
I know this is an old thread and I’m not trying to beat a dead horse 🙄 but has anyone been able to find a “proper” gauge face for the tachometer?
I bought a Canadian 2020 GT and the dealer had to replace the metric speedo with a standard one but the tech still shows the incorrect redline.
Sponsored