MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hmmm... maybe CarPlay is restricted on your iPhone.

Check options 4 and 5 of the following article. Maybe try another cable.
https://www.imobie.com/support/apple-carplay-not-working-in-ios-12.htm
Good call on the cable, I've seen some janky behaviors on cheap/non-MFi cert'ed cables :)

It seems odd that @Pony Driver isn't even seeing the CP preferences under Settings, the icon across the bottom is only present when the device is connected, but I thought once I had my Sync 3 updated to the right version, that Prefs showed (I'm talking even before I had a CP compliant hub ...!)

Last edited:

Pony Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well I tried everything in the link provided except changing back my IOS version and nothing. Still no Carplay icon. Funny thing, my son connected his Android phone and Android auto was available. I did disable it afterwards. I’m at a

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Well I tried everything in the link provided except changing back my IOS version and nothing. Still no Carplay icon. Funny thing, my son connected his Android phone and Android auto was available. I did disable it afterwards. I’m at a
So here's the unknown - for me at least, since I don't recall - I'm not sure if the Car Play settings (in Sync 3) displayed before I installed my hub ...

If it didn't, that sort of suggests your hub isn't working correct or wasn't actually replaced. Since AA is working, that means the headunit/Sync 3 version update __is__ working correctly, which again, sort of suggests it's a CP specific issue, i.e., the hub/ports.

Did they give you your old one back? Can you pop out the new one and confirm the part number?

Sponsored

Pony Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They did tell me they ordered and replace the media hub but didn’t give me the old one. I know it’s new because it includes a new power receptacle and the USB connector lights up. I’ll try to pull out the hub and check the part number tomorrow. Thank you for the help you offered.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
They did tell me they ordered and replace the media hub but didn’t give me the old one. I know it’s new because it includes a new power receptacle and the USB connector lights up. I’ll try to pull out the hub and check the part number tomorrow. Thank you for the help you offered.
Which iPhone do you have? Is your iPhone currently setup via bluetooth to connect to your car? If so, I would try going into bluetooth settings and forgetting Sync, then hook your phone up via USB. My iPhone isn't set up for bluetooth with my Mustang, I just always plug it in via USB. There are times when I plug it in and Carplay doesn't work but that doesn't happen very often. When you plug in your phone the first time using Carplay, you should be seeing a pop up with privacy terms you have to accept. Make sure your phone is unlocked as well when you plug it in. Sometimes Carplay won't turn on until after I unlock my phone. I think the new restrictions in iOS 12 sometimes mess things up.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mustang Trey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt convertible premium
Installed and working perfect! Love it, thanks for the help

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
New power point?

Pony Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Finally got the time to pull the media hub to check what the dealership installed. Well surprise. They did change the hub out. I ordered the correct one on Amazon and installed it today. I now have Apple CarPlay. Thanks for all the responses.

Sponsored

trevm12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I hate to revive a dead thread but I’m having issues too. I just installed a new hub (PN HU5Z-19A387-B) this is supposed to be the new version of the hub that everyone recommends. I’m on Sync 3 3.0 and have reset it too. iPhone running iOS 13.6. It recognizes my device as a usb when I plug it in but not for Apple CarPlay.
Sponsored