Sponsored

Can anyone verify the ticking noise for Coyote engines?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Some of the LHD Euro '18s tick. Our RHD cars have a different exhaust manifold and possibly other changes because of the steering wheel change over. It seems to be the same Canadian made engine but with a slightly different layout around it. The RHD Aussi cars on 5W30 and the RHD Brit ones on 5W20 don't tick.

Queer as hairy eggs.
Yes, it certainly is as "queer as hairy eggs", because if it was as simple as a noise caused by the exhaust manifold then Ford would have known that many years ago and would have put out a SSM or TSB saying it was totally "normal". But instead, they replace motors and buy back cars that exhibit the BBQ Tick. If it was a simple well know cause, the Mustang community would have known that 8 years ago when the Coyote was first introduced that the BBQ Tick raised it's ugly head back then.

And what makes it even more crazy is some cars are quiet, and then instantly after an oil change the BBQ Tick starts happening. That's really strange, and nobody really knows why - including Ford.
Sponsored

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My 18 is getting a new short block. Bad rod bearing.

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
I'll just add mine. I had really bad BBQ tick. Getting a long block after they found metal flakes in the oil and scoring on internal parts.

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'll just add mine. I had really bad BBQ tick. Getting a long block after they found metal flakes in the oil and scoring on internal parts.
How the hell did you rate a long block? Lol

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
How the hell did you rate a long block? Lol
How did I rate it? How did i get approved for one? They found damage on most of the internal components on the engine including everything from the cams to the cranks bearings, so they went ahead and approved me for an entire long block.

Sponsored

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
How did I rate it? How did i get approved for one? They found damage on most of the internal components on the engine including everything from the cams to the cranks bearings, so they went ahead and approved me for an entire long block.
Hmm sounds legit. I’ll keep that in mind. How many miles on your car?

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
sooo, i am the owner of a 2019 gt with a ticking. In my case it could be the direct injection or perhaps the fuel pump. I have 900 miles on it now and have not changed the oil yet and it reads in the hash marks when checked. with that said, i sincerely wonder if some of the engines are coming underfilled from the factory and at some point being topped off by dealers when checking during pre-delivery? I have seen where some only noticed the tick after the 1st oil change. perhaps in those cases, their car came with 10 quarts but the dealer/the owner changes the oil and adds only 8 quarts in, you run low on oil and bam, wear something too fast that causes perm damage? you would think the oil pressure light would come on but who knows. i know for a fact that my dealer thought, and swore up and down, that my 2019 took just 8 quarts until i had them look it up in the 2019 manual.... they apologized to me. i am not having them change my oil and if they do under warranty, i will go to great lengths to tell them it takes 10 quarts, not 8! perhaps alot of the ticking them is "normal" from the GDI and fule pump and plastic oil pan BUT the bad tick is due to the above low oil condition?

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
sooo, i am the owner of a 2019 gt with a ticking. In my case it could be the direct injection or perhaps the fuel pump. I have 900 miles on it now and have not changed the oil yet and it reads in the hash marks when checked. with that said, i sincerely wonder if some of the engines are coming underfilled from the factory and at some point being topped off by dealers when checking during pre-delivery? I have seen where some only noticed the tick after the 1st oil change. perhaps in those cases, their car came with 10 quarts but the dealer/the owner changes the oil and adds only 8 quarts in, you run low on oil and bam, wear something too fast that causes perm damage? you would think the oil pressure light would come on but who knows. i know for a fact that my dealer thought, and swore up and down, that my 2019 took just 8 quarts until i had them look it up in the 2019 manual.... they apologized to me. i am not having them change my oil and if they do under warranty, i will go to great lengths to tell them it takes 10 quarts, not 8! perhaps alot of the ticking them is "normal" from the GDI and fule pump and plastic oil pan BUT the bad tick is due to the above low oil condition?
In my opinion the oil level is not a major cause of the ticking noise, I just don't think there's that many new cars coming from the factory missing 2 qts. The tick has been around since the coyote 1st appeared in the Mustang in 2011, if oil level were a consistent issue Ford would have figured that out and addressed it. I also don't believe 8 quarts in a 10 qt pan is going to cause any problems unless you're doing a lot of hard cornering that will expose the oil pick up in the pan, that kind of cornering is going to be on a track and if you're tracking your car without checking the oil 1st you need to re-evaluate your pre-race check list!

The ticking noise everyone is concerned about is heard from the bottom of the engine and has an irregular timing to the tick, the noise from the injectors is very consistent, comes from the top side of the engine and is a normal engine noise.

My opinion again, I think the reason the tick shows up after an oil change is there's some break-in lube still in the oil when it's delivered from the factory. The break-in lube has a higher concentration of friction modifiers that give the oil more film strength which is better at preventing metal on metal contact than most newer oil compounds. The newest oils have EPA restricted levels of things like zinc and phosphorus, so they simply don't have the same ability to control noise as much as motor oil used to. To my thinking, this also explains why additives like ceratec or a heavier weight oil corrects the noise.

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My UK mustang came with oil on the lowest mark from the dealer.I topped it up and have no irregular tick of knock and I'm on 7000 miles

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
here is a link to my tick:

That doesn't sound that bad - no random loud ticking from what I can hear. Might be what a normal Gen3 Coyote sounds like. It's not even close to some of the BBQ tick videos posted on this site.

You hear any heavy "rattle" noise at 2000 RPM while driving around?

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
That doesn't sound that bad - no random loud ticking from what I can hear. Might be what a normal Gen3 Coyote sounds like. It's not even close to some of the BBQ tick videos posted on this site.

You hear any heavy "rattle" noise at 2000 RPM while driving around?
no rattles or any noises while driving.

there is a tap thats in the video if you listen to times 7seconds and 16-20 or so... it's louder in person.