Sponsored

Camber Plates or Brake Cooling First?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Could anyone tell me which would be the more important upgrade to do first? I'm looking to get my buddy, who works on my car a lot, something for Christmas. He runs an S197 and we are planning to do a bunch of track days and HPDE events. He has the Brembo package on his car but no brake cooling as of now. I believe he will be running RE71R tires for the track stuff. Anyway, which should be the first upgrade, at least the one which would help the most? I'm leaning towards the Vorshlag brake cooling deflector plates, I run them on my s550 and they work well (Vorshlag claims they work better than ducts), and I know with the new stickier tires he will be heating up his brakes a lot more. On the other hand I know the camber plates will help with handling. The air deflectors are like $230 and the cambler plates by J&M, MM, and BBK are all around the $250-$280 range, so they're pretty similar as far as price. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
Camber plates won’t do any good if the brakes go away so I’d start there.

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The camber plates could also help with tire life. If the car has been lowered with no camber plates you may already have some negative camber by default, but if not the outer edge on the tires wont last long on the track. So for that reason alone I would go with camber plates and the money he saves on tires he can spend on track day or even race brake pads that will handle the extra heat.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank's guys. I ended up getting the Vorshlag air deflectors, mainly because I think he wants to go with Vorshlag Camber plates for the S197 which are really nice, but very pricey. I know the Steeda ones are good too, I got a set for my S550, but they don't make them for the S197.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thank's guys. I ended up getting the Vorshlag air deflectors, mainly because I think he wants to go with Vorshlag Camber plates for the S197 which are really nice, but very pricey. I know the Steeda ones are good too, I got a set for my S550, but they don't make them for the S197.
Good choice . . . but out of more than simple curiosity what year is his S197 and what engine has it got?

The earlier year GTs (including mine) only came with 12.4" front rotors; in somewhat later years they were 13.2" in non-Brembo. For sure with either of those sizes he's going to want real track pads sooner rather than later.

Norm

Sponsored

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good choice . . . but out of more than simple curiosity what year is his S197 and what engine has it got?

The earlier year GTs (including mine) only came with 12.4" front rotors; in somewhat later years they were 13.2" in non-Brembo. For sure with either of those sizes he's going to want real track pads sooner rather than later.

Norm
He has a 2013 5.0 with the Brembo package. Now he has to figure out how to vent air to the deflectors. I seen some people use the hose duct inlets to direct air into the deflectors, some install empty fog light housings to let air in, and others make vents on the belly pan like the S550's use. Any idea which would work best?

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
It wouldnt be that expensive to do race pads, brake fluid and camber plates at the same time.

At least then you could do more than one lap at a time

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
And while you are thinking brake fluid, Hands down the best method I have ever found to bleed brakes. The one pictured is a little expensive but it is a real nice metal piece, but for the same idea and will probably work just as good, harbor freight for the plastic version.

1608294151537.png

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
He has a 2013 5.0 with the Brembo package. Now he has to figure out how to vent air to the deflectors. I seen some people use the hose duct inlets to direct air into the deflectors, some install empty fog light housings to let air in, and others make vents on the belly pan like the S550's use. Any idea which would work best?
I too got the deflectors from Vorshlag but they're pretty useless unless you have a PP1 undertray or ducting, according to them. So I did the ducting, cutting a hole in the front fascia and I used their duct opening thing, and then put on 4" dryer hose to route the air to the brakes.

So, yes, I vote for hoses. Air is good, but it has to know where to go.
Sponsored