Sponsored

Camaro SS, ZL1 not salable in California and Washington. Are GT, Mach I, and GT500 impacted?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I actually read a research paper about a similar topic a few months ago. I'll link it. It was about the developmental and reproductive toxic effects that happen from silver coated nanoparticles in zebrafish. A lot of these nanoparticles are seeping into the environment just like microplastics. And just like microplastics, the health effects are not known for humans because it only has been recently discovered and there is no way to test the effect on humans, other than to monitor and perform long term studies which are inherently flawed. They both show pretty serious negative effects on fish so its not a stretch to assume it would be harmful to us.

It is actually scary when you think about it. A lot of the pollution that is being dumped out in the environment is starting to show it's effects now and we are only beginning to learn about it. I don't know how bad copper is for the environment but I can promise you that none of you want that in your food. Pollution always gets brought up the food chain. The only good thing for us is that we have a long lifespan so that we are able to withstand more before we start to have adverse effects compared to other organisms.

The problem with manufacturing is that it is more of 'lets get this out' mentality first vs 'is this safe?'. Sad but stuff like this should be taught in schools so the public at least is aware of the idea of bioamplification which is when toxins make its way up the food chain.

Toxic exposures like this affected me and a lot of my friends from the military. My nose is always clogged and I have lung disease with other random bullshit I have now that is most likely from the burn pits, constantly being covered in jet fuel and living in rat infested shithole for 9 months. I didn't have any of those problems before I left. Same thing happened to the people in Desert Storm, and in Vietnam.

Those are extreme examples I know, but I do think California's intentions on the matter are for the greater good (including the cancer labels) but the execution is bad.
This has been par for the course for all of industrialized society, which has only been around for...a few generations of humans. Most of our many thousands of years of existence involved shitting in holes in the ground. It's pretty remarkable how fast technology has developed, and how fast we've identified health hazards and removed them from use. It's pretty wild to think that some people who were alive for the first manned flight in 1903 also saw the first man on the moon just 66 years later. I mean, in just my short time here on earth, computer technology advanced exponentially, not just in power, but portability, and that's not even including the rise of the internet which changed everything.

I'm waxing poetic a little but you get the point. The health hazards of today will be gone tomorrow after only affecting just a generation or two, just like asbestos, lead paint, and radium.
Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
What an embarrassing state.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
California and Washington signed their respective brake pad bills into law back in 2010. In addition to limiting the amount of copper used in brake pads starting in 2021, the laws also banned heavy metals and asbestos from manufacturing in 2015. In 2025, the laws will become even more stringent, limiting brake pads to a maximum of 0.5 percent carbon composition.
So, basically, they've had a decade's warning on this and they're going to miss a year of sales in the most populous state in the Union because they did nothing?

Okay, make fun of California all you like, but spare a little ridicule for General Motors. I'm sure that some of us can reach way down deep and find a little lack of empathy for GM's dilemma. :wink:

GeigerZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Is it true in California that a released felon is labeled as "recently released" instead of "convict" since it violates their rights and hurts their feelings? My brother lives in San Jose and he used to be an American with sense, but now just a potato after drinking the caca-cool-aid.

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
Is it true in California that a released felon is labeled as "recently released" instead of "convict" since it violates their rights and hurts their feelings? My brother lives in San Jose and he used to be an American with sense, but now just a potato after drinking the caca-cool-aid.
Yup....too much ca coolaid....no common sense.

Sponsored

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it true in California that a released felon is labeled as "recently released" instead of "convict" since it violates their rights and hurts their feelings?

Well now, let's not fret over someone else's use of language. That's s-o-o-o PC.:)

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Sounds about right. Last year they made it legal to defecate in the streets of san francisco and pitch tents in the streets in order to "not discriminate against homeless" people. One of many stupid things cali has done.

OP
OP
martinjlm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
So, basically, they've had a decade's warning on this and they're going to miss a year of sales in the most populous state in the Union because they did nothing?

Okay, make fun of California all you like, but spare a little ridicule for General Motors. I'm sure that some of us can reach way down deep and find a little lack of empathy for GM's dilemma. :wink:
I don’t think it’s that simple. For starters, GM has already been selling ‘21 model year vehicles. Then most Camaro sales are 4 or 6-cylinder, which are unaffected by this except the 1LE versions. And finally, any cars on dealer lots by 12/31/2020 can be sold, even in 2021.

More than likely, GM has already designed the replacement pads, but are not implementing them until the ‘22 MY. The rationale behind that could be that the non-copper pads either cost more than the copper pads or do not perform as well as the copper pads or both. If this is the case, it makes sense that GM would wait until the last possible moment to make the change. If the validation of the change was s’posed to happen in mid-2020, more than likely it got derailed by COVID. The GM I know would have then pushed a lot of 2021 SS and ZL1 product to California dealers so that they are on the lots by December 31st and the dealers can still sell from inventory.

Bottom line, GM might lose up to a half year’s volume of SS and ZL-1, more than likely a lot less since they’ve more than likely pushed inventory onto dealers’ lots.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
AS log as I can have my Commercial Freezer full of Gourmet ice Cream Im all set. I don't need brembos.

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10

Maybe this needs a different light, think out of the box. Just maybe GM said quietly under their breath, screw California, we just won't play their game, not losing a lot here. Tired of the crap they think of.
Probably not, but just maybe some push back. Thats what it gonna take to get results, to stop the regulation train. Let the people of California not have the freedom to purchase what others can freely

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
Maybe this needs a different light, think out of the box. Just maybe GM said quietly under their breath, screw California, we just won't play their game, not losing a lot here. Tired of the crap they think of.
Probably not, but just maybe some push back. Thats what it gonna take to get results, to stop the regulation train. Let the people of California not have the freedom to purchase what others can freely
We already have that in many aspects already.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Can you buy them in Texas? Asking for a Friend

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well then, dumb call even for GM management.

It's true that they were lining up with the current administration for awhile on resisting California emissions regulations, but they came around on that last month.
Sponsored