Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Courtesy of MotorTrend
The Chevy Camaro Dies in 2024, Will Be Replaced by Electric Sedan (motortrend.com)

Currently, the two-door, gas-fed Chevy Camaro is without a future. But it has a futuristic replacement, according to Automotive News. That replacement is an all-electric sedan. Commence double takes, spit takes, and hot takes. At least the four-door that's slated to succeed the Camaro is billed as a "performance" sedan.

General Motors is of course in the midst of a huge transition toward electric vehicles. By 2035, the automaker hopes to go all-electric, no longer selling gas- and diesel-powered cars, trucks, or SUVs. Read between the lines, and GM isn't merely tearing up its internal combustion lineup and starting over, nor will it blindly adhere to its 2035 goal if the market hasn't shifted to support such a move—i.e., the all-electric gambit is a goal, not a promise, and if buyers aren't ready for only EVs, GM may still provide gas- and diesel-fed vehicles to meet demand.
If you think that means there is a hope or a prayer the Camaro may live on yet in its current form or be redesigned for a seventh generation, we have some bad news. As our friends at Hot Rod reported recently, the sixth-generation Chevy Camaro lacks a replacement; GM is sunsetting the Alpha platform on which its pony car rides. While it could slide the Camaro atop the Alpha's replacement, the rear-drive-based A2XX architecture that underpins Cadillac's CT4 and CT5, GM has apparently made no plans to do so. Chevy will keep the two-door Camaro coupe and convertible around until 2024, and then unceremoniously kill the model off.

The Camaro name might live on, however, which brings us to that "performance" electric sedan. Transitioning an iconic muscle car from a two-door to a four-door recalls Dodge's revival of the Charger nameplate—a moniker that long ago adorned two-door coupes but today denotes the brand's full-size four-door sedan. Of course, that sedan isn't electric—far from it, what with its multiple V-8 engine options—but even Dodge is making big electrification moves in the coming years, having already previewed an all-electric muscle car that looks like a retro-futuristic Challenger. Ford hasn't committed to electrifying the two-door Mustang yet, but it has introduced the Mustang Mach-E electric SUV that shares the pony car's iconic name.

Expect the Camaro's electric sedan successor to utilize GM's Ultium battery tech, and don't worry too much about the performance aspect. Just look at the GMC Hummer EV pickup, which is available with 1,000 hp and is said to be Porsche-quick to 60 mph. (Forget, for the moment, how heavy the Hummer is going to be ... ) Consider also that with an electric Corvette on the way, Chevy will probably have its EV performance chops honed by the time the Camaro sedan rolls around.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
it's "quite easy" to re-skin the CT4/5 for 2-door Camaro duty. Plenty of time for the tide to shift on this EV nonsense. MY22 Camaro production started up last week. We'll see how prices shape up next year.

04DarkShadowGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Electric cars are going to take over once the infrastructure outside of big cities takes a hold. Once you can find a place to top off and for it to be 30 min or less, it will be game over.

Eventually they will probably have parking spots like giant wireless charging pads. Top off your GT500-E while you wait in the starbucks drive through.

OP
OP
Rinzler

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
My take: not particularly upset or surprised at this turn of events other than that I wish it had remained a 2 door EV vehicle. I never really got over the charger turning into a 4 door.

I think everyone know by now that the S650 platform is likely the last ICE Mustang. Right?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I think everyone know by now that the S650 platform is likely the last ICE Mustang. Right?
what makes you think the S650 is still ICE? I wonder how fun it'll be to reverse-import Mexican or South American Fords back into USA. The rest of the world isn't this stupid (aside from western Europe) Or we all get to buy the modern Lada.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
what makes you think the S650 is still ICE? I wonder how fun it'll be to reverse-import Mexican or South American Fords back into USA.
.....what makes you think it's not? Everything I've seen (albeit speculation) points towards a hybrid drive train vehicle at most.

Elvis67

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19gt ..19 ss 72 chevelle
These"woke" 4 door electric cars using mustang or camaro emblems are new future throw away cars .

OP
OP
Rinzler

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
These"woke" 4 door electric cars using mustang or camaro emblems are new future throw away cars .
Some people would rather see the Mustang brand die than evolve. A very sad outlook IMHO.

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
thats the dumbest thing I ve seen all week!!!
IMO, no respectable "car guy or girl" would drive with the fake sound.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
oh yeah? Woodword had this. It'll roll over your puny EVs

IMG_94021.jpg
OK, but imagine that thing with the weight from a massive battery pack and the torque from dual/quad EV motors

I for one welcome our EV overlords as the future from a cost/performance/reliability perspective, but I will freely admit to wanting to squirrel away something with a V8 manual as my garage queen.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The Camaro has been on borrowed time and extinction for years...and that was even during the Pontiac years...
Sponsored