Calvert Racing Suspension goes 8's in a S550

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The story behind this car is that it might be a test car for a 2016 Cobra Jet. I'm not entirely sure what the full setup is on this car. Trying to find more facts out. I do know they built a solid rear axel for this car. (There was a photo of it but has since been taken down) It does have a Supercharged V8 in it. Also don't know what transmission they went with. This is a full race car.

From their facebook page.
8.97 @ 151mph, We built this car during the past 5 months at our facility and couldn't be happier with the results inside and out! Thanks to all our supporters who helped us accomplish this! Might possibly be the first S550 Mustang in the 8s!

Ford racing,
Holley EFI,
The Brake Man,
Jones Engine Development, Hoosier tires

From someone posting online in a thread.
"If is a CJ for all intents and purposes. There were only two CJs built this year. Ford came to John to enhance/ integrate a solid axle into what was an independent rear suspension. This car was built, disassembled and rebuilt several times to optimize the suspension. The 2016 CJ buyers can rest assured that thanks to John Calvert they are getting a race car that can hook in a car wash!!!"

Sponsored

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Congratulations. Very cool. Interesting that one uses the rear entry Whipple. I know from Watson that they were instructed by Ford to use the IRS on their Cobra Jet development car. I have no clue what Culverts connection to Ford might be if there is any at all. But my guess is Ford must have at least predicted that someone would do a solid axle car and that is why they insisted that Watson do an IRS car. Watson has been the outside contractor for the Cobra Jet production for Ford so it remains to be seen what the final CJ designation will be.

OP
OP

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Congratulations. Very cool. Interesting that one uses the rear entry Whipple. I know from Watson that they were instructed by Ford to use the IRS on their Cobra Jet development car. I have no clue what Culverts connection to Ford might be if there is any at all. But my guess is Ford must have at least predicted that someone would do a solid axle car and that is why they insisted that Watson do an IRS car. Watson has been the outside contractor for the Cobra Jet production for Ford so it remains to be seen what the final CJ designation will be.

Maybe they wanted to see what someone can do with a SRA. I know they have raced a few Cobra jets over the years.

I also found the picture of the S.R.A.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Damn, my photo above of the rear suspension got around quick. lol

Congrats to the Calvert Team! Those guys do good stuff, that is for sure!

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Of course people would do it.

"drivers" wont do it....because it's silly to chop the entire rear of the car up.

It may see production. But it's going to take a ton of time, money and effort to make it work.

Sponsored

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
Love this car, there willbe a ton of people buying SRA conversions. Mustangs are the most popular car to use in drag racing. It may take a few years, but people will be ripping the IRS out and installing SRA by the bunches.

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
I want to correct my post above I misunderstood what I was told a while ago. The Cobra Jet cars will have a solid rear axle. Ford asked Watson to build their car with a IRS to see how it would stack up. A number of bare bodies were given to a few teams one was Calvert they choose to build their own design solid axle set up instead of using one with the parts Ford gave them so this is different than the Cobra Jet cars.

Now what can be observed from the pictures that car has had extensive surgery and with a lot of additional tubes welded into the chassis and what appears to be a 7.5 second cage so maybe their goals are a lot higher than the impressive 8 second run.

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subbed. cant wait to see what this leads to.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Meh.. No reason to put a SRA in the car due to the OEM IRS looks like it will be good for 8's. Waste of money on a SRA.

OP
OP

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Damn, my photo above of the rear suspension got around quick. lol

Congrats to the Calvert Team! Those guys do good stuff, that is for sure!
I actually saw these pictures on facebook page. So yes the pictures got around quick. If i was ever to sell my 91 race car and turn the 15 into a race car. I would go SRA for the strength. Otherwise as a street car the IRS is fine.
Sponsored