Sponsored

Calculating the HP from known 12psi Of Boost

5ohh_kenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTCS
I'm not arguing that Ford's engines aren't great. I love the Coyote and Voodoo especially. And I think Ford V8 engines have been better than Chevy V8 engines for many years.

However, if you compare the Chevy Camaro V6 to the Ford Mustang V6 - I realize it's been discontinued now, but there was a time when both were offered - the DOHC V6 in the Camaro was/is a really good engine. IMO evidence that GM understands what it takes to design a good DOHC engine. That is what I was saying.
I see your point. I just think Chevy is content in sticking with the less efficient single cam design with their v8 engines(they’re being cheap IMO).
Interesting how these discussions always focus on Chevy vs Ford and forget about Dodge.

Anyway, we are hijacking this thread. Back to GT500 horsepower estimates. I am going on record, the horsepower will be 766.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
GM's V6 and inline 4s are all DOHC. They are very familiar with DOHC engines. The cam in block V8s have worked fine for them. They are not as impressive as the Ford engines, but I'm sure GM saved some $$ using the cheaper architecture.
And weight, dimensions, and complexity. GM's V6 is a very good engine. Unfortunately it's also probably one of the worst sounding V6's out there. Not that it's hard for a V6 to sound like explosive diarrhea but still...

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
2v pushrod engines generally make more low end torque, due to air entering the cylinder at a higher speed at low rpm than 4v Dohc engines. That characteristic is perfect for what these engines are mainly used for in pickup trucks. GM has done a very great job at making such a simple dated design keep up with the times. My 5.3l Silverado averages around 20mpg which is damn impressive.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Sorry was talking aftermarket tuning wise you'll be able to do this
certainly, i just saw some audis with syvecs doing it. darkane below says its possible on oem ecu in a pcar though

In the Porsche GT3 if you pull both paddles it’ll engage “neutral”. Rev it up and release the paddles and it’ll “drop the clutch”.

This is not launch control. That has its own system of specific clutch slip mapping and traction control.
is that only when stationary? it would be awesome if they had the tuning in there for a rolling antilag, I meantioned above, with aftermarket ecus.

I would be quite surprised if the CR is less than 10:1. I'd expect 10.5-11. The new LT5 in the ZR1 is 10.0:1, is also dual fuel and it doesn't have some of the advantages this engine will (Ti-VCT for one).
Id guess 10.1 dont need high compression with decent displacement+boost. knowing that 50% of cars will be modded, it would be foolish to no leave extra safety in there

You sure about that? 7th is 1:1, just like my 5th in my manual. In 5th at 72 mph I'd be at around 3100 rpm.
i dont think 7th is 1:1 in dct's, its usually 5th

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
The 7 speed Tremec 9007 that’s being used in the GT500 ratios are:

1st- 3.14
2nd- 2.05
3rd- 1.43
4th- 1.10
5th- 0.86
6th- 0.68
7th- 0.56

Source- Tremec

Not sure if Ford will use different ratios or not though.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
certainly, i just saw some audis with syvecs doing it. darkane below says its possible on oem ecu in a pcar though

is that only when stationary? it would be awesome if they had the tuning in there for a rolling antag
Yes while rolling. It can go to neutral. I’m sure Chris Harris was demonstrating it for drifts too.

Either way, a lot of people using it to coast in some situations too. I don’t know if you can dump the clutch from redline on a roll. More info needed, but it's out there.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Yes while rolling. It can go to neutral. I’m sure Chris Harris was demonstrating it for drifts too.

Either way, a lot of people using it to coast in some situations too. I don’t know if you can dump the clutch from redline on a roll. More info needed, but it's out there.
There is currently already a feature for rolling antilag on HP tuners software. I believe the tables haven't been completely finished but I'm sure we will see something very soon about it

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Where did our old friend Faruko go to?
I figure he would still be around pushing the 720 or less figure.
I'm guessing its went up some since then.
I always enjoy your commentary Jim. I'd like to buy you a beer some day.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I always enjoy your commentary Jim. I'd like to buy you a beer some day.
You probably never land in Des Moines, so it is I that will be buying the beer when I see you in Daytona someday Captain!

Sponsored

Blue 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
isnt the demon known for having these issues? drivetrain parts being left behind on the track quite often.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
I think the parts will be able to handle the power just fine. My Stock 10r80, rear end and STOCK driveshaft have held up just fine at 900+whp. I doubt ford went backwards with any of their parts..

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I think the parts will be able to handle the power just fine. My Stock 10r80, rear end and STOCK driveshaft have held up just fine at 900+whp. I doubt ford went backwards with any of their parts..
The friction between the tires and pavement is the weak link. Get way more traction and parts start to get way more stress put on them ... especially shock stress when launching hard with super good traction.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
The friction between the tires and pavement is the weak link. Get way more traction and parts start to get way more stress put on them ... especially shock stress when launching hard with super good traction.
Yes I do 1.3 60's all day with that... No problems here. The shocks on our cars perform amazing. I'm on completely stock suspension as well
Sponsored