Sponsored

Calculating the HP from known 12psi Of Boost

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
maybe they up boost to 14 psi and we get somewhere around 660 torque and 770 HP.
Right now I'm feeling the 740s to 755.
Consistent 10s in the 130s is what the rumor is. dont know what it would take for a 4350 lb car (driver, fuel) to do that but I'd guess 730's+
Thats about right for CHP. in every test ive seen with previous DCT cars, Id guess the dct is equal to +30hp advantage over traditional automatic. DCT vs manual was equal to over 50hp ( based on performance numbers of cars bests in dct vs 6spd, and DCT in fastest vs slowest shift configurations)

I don't think it'll be that heavy. 4000'ish, for sure though.
thats really my only disappointment, is the weight
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Higher compression means more heat is absolutely true. That is why they started using that plasma arc cylinder lining, it provides a far greater heat transfer rate than regular iron sleeves. It also saves weight but, that is probably the lowest of the reasons for its use and why so much R&D was allocated to improving the process and application methods. DI does help some with removing heat from the cylinder, but it just goes into the fuel being burned so benefits are minimal, and detonation can easily become more of a problem. Its a lot smarter to reduce friction, increase thermal transfer rates of the cylinder, and get the heat out through the coolant passages around the cylinders. Compression will probably be the highest seen in any OEM forced induction engine, that isn't a diesel.
I’m a fan of your optimism, but I’ll challenge you to your statement. As of today there are three off the top of my head with higher CR than I estimate for the predator (9.5:1)

1) Mazda 2.5 turbo - 10.5:1
2) Audi 3L TSFI 11.2:1
3) infinity variable CR turbo up to 14:1 ( this one doesn’t count really)
4) maybe the 488 Pista, but wouldn’t count that either.

Maybe the highest supercharged OEM CR??

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
I'll stick with 755. They've done it in the past where they post a picture of the dash and the numbers on there are hints.
I believe it was in 7th gear going 55mph.

The motor has blower cams not just standard cams out of a 5.0, that right there is a huge improvement. The heads are designed to flow more. All forged internals.
This motor will easily take over 1100whp.

Also with the DCT you're able to disengage the clutches and then engage them at whatever RPM you set the launch at.
This car is going to be a big game changer all around. Auto racing, drag racing and of course crowd racing:crackup:

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I'll stick with 755. They've done it in the past where they post a picture of the dash and the numbers on there are hints.

The motor has blower cams not just standard cams out of a 5.0, that right there is a huge improvement. The heads are designed to flow more. All forged internals.
This motor will easily take over 1100whp.

Also with the DCT you're able to disengage the clutches and then engage them at whatever RPM you set the launch at.

This car is going to be a big game changer all around. Auto racing, drag racing and of course crowd racing:crackup:
where have you seen that claim made? i hope so but a large portion of dct vehicles cannot do that. id love if it were true, just looking to verify

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
where have you seen that claim made? i hope so but a large portion of dct vehicles cannot do that. id love if it were true, just looking to verify
Sorry was talking aftermarket tuning wise you'll be able to do this

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
In the Porsche GT3 if you pull both paddles it’ll engage “neutral”. Rev it up and release the paddles and it’ll “drop the clutch”.

This is not launch control. That has its own system of specific clutch slip mapping and traction control.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a fan of your optimism, but I’ll challenge you to your statement. As of today there are three off the top of my head with higher CR than I estimate for the predator (9.5:1)

1) Mazda 2.5 turbo - 10.5:1
2) Audi 3L TSFI 11.2:1
3) infinity variable CR turbo up to 14:1 ( this one doesn’t count really)
4) maybe the 488 Pista, but wouldn’t count that either.

Maybe the highest supercharged OEM CR??
I would be quite surprised if the CR is less than 10:1. I'd expect 10.5-11. The new LT5 in the ZR1 is 10.0:1, is also dual fuel and it doesn't have some of the advantages this engine will (Ti-VCT for one).

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
There is all this speculation on HP. I figure we can get a close estimate with some math/tuner knowledge that is on the forum. We know 5.2 liters and 12 psi of boost. This information was provided by the chief mustang engineer. The Roush 2.65L supercharger on the 2018 5.0 produces 700 HP and 610 lb ft of torque. How much extra HP does the 0.2 liters get us? My math says 28HP. 700Hp/5 liters = 140 HP/ Liter. 5.2 Liters x 140 hp/liter = 728 HP. I think I’m pretty close due to the leak spec a while back indicating 720HP. This would give ford a little wiggle room to ensure all cars made 720HP. The OEM supercharger may be more efficient than the Roush which would result in more HP. What do you think?
This is a fair prediction.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I’m going to assume you don’t actually have any details on the aluminator, but it’s an off road race engine only, the way ford advertises it.

It has long tube headers and race fuel to achieve those numbers. That fact is revs to 8000+ is another key here.

The predator is in NO WAY related to the aluminator, when were talking internals of the engine, the EPA certifications, or the fuel it was designed to run most efficiently on.

The predator NA might make 450hp I’m guessing.
The Voodoo based Aluminator that I saw put out just south of 545hp while using '18 GT manifolds/headers.
It was equipped with a GT350 intake and intake tube and filter.
93 octane was used.
Tune was aftermarket.

NicoB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicolas
Vehicle(s)
A few cool Hot Wheels and a shifter-cart
Lets keep in mind ford is doing this with a liter less displacement than Dodge and Chevy.
7XX horsepower from 5.2 liters is damn impressive! This is why, as an engineer, I will always be a ford guy.
Not that impressive considering that they're using DOHC. They can rev over 1000rpm higher and higher rpm = more power. DOHC engines are typically better when it comes to making the most power with boost, too. If you want impressive, Mercedes-AMG made 622hp with a naturally aspirated 6.2L DOHC V8 in the SLS Black Series. That's impressive. The McLaren 720s also makes 700hp+ with 1.2 liters less displacement than the GT500, and the top C8 Corvette will have a 5.4-5.5L DOHC V8 making over 800hp(someone said it made 1000hp on the engine dyno, but that's likely at very high boost). I won't be impressed with anything below 755hp from the GT500. They'll have had plenty of time to tune more reliable power out of the engine by the time it goes into production.

Once GM goes full DOHC, the horsepower war between Ford and Chevy will get twice as nuts. It'll be a battle to see who has the highest redline and the most boost, and GM has two twin-turbo V8s on stand-by with another, the 800hp+ one, in development.

Sponsored

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
You mean like this? <quick google search for 12" display...> this seems to be from 2017 regarding the 2018's 12" display and looks photoshopped anyway as 7th gear @ 3200rpm is only doing 72mph which is no way plausible.
772.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You mean like this? <quick google search for 12" display...> this seems to be from 2017 regarding the 2018's 12" display and looks photoshopped anyway as 7th gear @ 3200rpm is only doing 72mph which is no way plausible.
772.jpg
You sure about that? 7th is 1:1, just like my 5th in my manual. In 5th at 72 mph I'd be at around 3100 rpm.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
The Voodoo based Aluminator that I saw put out just south of 545hp while using '18 GT manifolds/headers.
It was equipped with a GT350 intake and intake tube and filter.
93 octane was used.
Tune was aftermarket.
That seems about right. Thanks for the info.

The 580hp is very tough to get with the aluminator on pump. Maybe impossible, 545 is nice though.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I would be quite surprised if the CR is less than 10:1. I'd expect 10.5-11. The new LT5 in the ZR1 is 10.0:1, is also dual fuel and it doesn't have some of the advantages this engine will (Ti-VCT for one).
That would be sweet, truly.

Efficiency would be amazing.

But, I want to see it first.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
People need not forget that while the engine is certainly capable of well over 800 hp reliably, if the rest of the driveline can't take it, you can' push the engine that high.
Sponsored