Sponsored

CAI Debate

MagneticPat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual
Hey guys, sorry if I'm opening a can of worms with this topic but I've done a lot of research and could not get a straight answer anywhere! You all are very knowledgable with the 3.7 and was hoping I could get some better insite here. So is there a real benefit in installing a CAI over the stock setup other than sound? Most manufacturers claim 10+ HP increase, I have becom very skeptical.
Sponsored

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
CAI alone will almost never show any gains on a dyno. SOTP gains, maybe, but nothing that will register. Coupled with a tune, you will see gains.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
On a prior gen, MAF-controlled engine, I would agree that the gains are minimal and outside of a great sound, the only thing you notice is a bit better response on tip-in. Now that the 3.7 is speed density controls (uses MAP sensor), it's likely you'll see more impressive gains from a CAI and exhaust than you would before. See Tom Y's (Super Six Motorsports) threads here for published gains from those types of mods.

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
On a prior gen, MAF-controlled engine, I would agree that the gains are minimal and outside of a great sound, the only thing you notice is a bit better response on tip-in. Now that the 3.7 is speed density controls (uses MAP sensor), it's likely you'll see more impressive gains from a CAI and exhaust than you would before. See Tom Y's (Super Six Motorsports) threads here for published gains from those types of mods.
Do you know what's the most interesting part of that? '86 - '88, and some '89, Mustangs used Speed Density which was replaced by the superior control of Mass Air.....
Sponsored