Sponsored

Factory CAI (Poor Mans CAI)

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I've seen others remove the baffles on their stock airbox (which I found an oil jug cap fits perfectly over), but haven't noticed if anyone's removed the baffling from the stock intake tube itself. So I sourced another stock intake (thank you [MENTION=14255]Rocketboy[/MENTION]) and played around. Essentially, this setup is nothing more than just removing the 2 baffles on the intake and cleaning up the engine bay.

The differences between the aftermarket enclosed filter CAI's and the stock setup aren't earth shattering. Sure, the tube isn't as smooth as the aftermarket tubes and you can't look into the airbox to see a pretty cone filter. But, with this, you keep that beautiful (:barf:) factory looking intake which is less likely to throw any red flags if any service is needed (or you could just reinstall the stock setup if you need service done).

Aside from removing the vacuum lines to the intake tube (I may chop off and seal those up, once I figure out what to do about those lines), this is as cold air intake like as I can think of for the stock setup.

I do not expect any gains or improvement over the unmodified stock setup with my K&N filter.

Sealed up the hole left on the intake tube after removing the baffling. Look at those amazing soldering skills!

Finished product installed. Engine bay is slightly less cluttered
Sponsored

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
86 degrees out.

At city speeds of under 50mph, I was averaging 94 degree intake temps.

Idling now for 5 minutes in the sun, my engine is at 223 and intake is at 123.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Nice wart removal. Nothing wrong with OEM CAI better off investing on the exhaust and or a tune .

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Your running temp seems lower. Mine around the same ambient temp is about 10 degrees higher. The idling is the same though. But more importantly shouldn't city speeds be like 25mph +/-5. I kinda like your city speeds though.

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Well, after cruising and idling a bit more, the temps ran around 120-130. I never took it on the freeway to see what I'd get. So likely not a huge improvement once the plastic heats up.

Yeah Columbus has some higher than average speeds, I think. Inner city is around 30mph, suburbs are anywhere from 45-55. I'm from Cleveland originally where streets are 25-30 and the freeway is still 60.

Sponsored

Lagformance

Not A GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I started a thread on a stock intake but a more efficient tube to it. Also removed that baffle aswell from the box.

Mmmm carbon fiber

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Yeah, you and fordguys550 were kind of my inspiration to take the baffle removal 1 step further, and making the stock setup as close to a CAI as possible.

That tube looks beautiful!

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Here are my temps driving home from work. I drive 100% city during rush hour. My car was registering 93-95 degrees out.

Sponsored