CAI Comparison Thread Somewhere ?

Ruby5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT, 50th Anniversary, Ruby Red
I have a 2015 GT Premium that is bone stock as far as the drivetrain goes. I want to get a CAI for it. I am also going to purchase an SCT X4 tuner with the standard tunes they have by octane rating. I’m trying to find out which CAI will provide the most HP/TRQ for the car. I tried searching the forums to see if there was a comparison done on a stock car to give someone like me a reference point, but couldn’t find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I’m not wasting money ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby5.0

Ruby5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT, 50th Anniversary, Ruby Red
All the views, but no answers. If you have recommendations on a different CAI or tuner, please feel free to jump in. The SCT X4 comes with 3 standard tunes, but if another company can provide a better tune to maximize HP and Torque with the addition of a CAI, please let me know. I’m assuming someone like Lund or others can send me a tune to load in the X4 and then car. Any thoughts gents ?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Don't use the canned SCT tunes. Just use the device as a means to load a custom tune from AED/Lund/PBD. On the 15-17 cais are worth a little power increase but majority of that is from the tune. Keep in mind open element cai will also greatly increase iat which will reduce power. Consider upgrading to the 18+ OEM manifold and intake. Paired with the tune that will get you a good power increase and not worry about the increase in iats. If you have it in your area definitely consider looking at tuning for e85. By far best bang for your buck in terms of power vs price.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
To answer your question, the “best” CAI will have a removable insert which is the part that requires a tune. Steeda and Roush are probably the two most popular. I have the Steeda intake, with the insert (no tune) and it’s a very nice intake.

However - the IAT issue is very real and I would rather have invested in a drop in air filter or 2018+ intake and a tune. Don’t get me wrong - it looks and sounds great and it DOES seem to pull less restricted, but the IAT’s become ridiculous when you are in moderate (or worse) traffic with stop and go and hot weather. Once they creep too high, the engine will pull timing and you lose power.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The best intake will require a tune. You'll get more power out of intake plus tune. Yes lund or any of the reputable tuners can send you the file to the x4. You upload and then load to car.

Open or closed box intake is your big question. Do you do a lot of drag racing? Or stoplight to to stoplight racing? If so you probably want to stay closed box to keep iats down as much as possible.
If you spend more time on the backroads/ twisties playing or roll racing then the open box will get you a little more air flow. Iats do rise higher with an open box but i havent noticed power being pulled until 115°ish.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Here at Steeda, we build a fantastic open-air CAI with a Steeda tune, that comes with the SCT device. You can check it out here:

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-ultimate-induction-pack-manual-2015-gt-555-3202.html

With this package, this is what we have tested:

Dyno competitors comparison findings:
  • Steeda restrictorless CAI and tune: 422 rwhp and 392 ft/lb tq
  • Brand 'A' restrictorless CAI and tune: 414 rwhp and 390 ft/lb tq
  • Brand 'R' restrictorless CAI and tune: 411 rwhp and 382 ft/lb tq
  • Brand 'J' restrictorless CAI and tune: 411 rwhp and 382 ft/lb tq
We do have nice forum pricing on the Steeda unit, I'll send you a P.M.

TJ

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
The best intake will require a tune. You'll get more power out of intake plus tune. Yes lund or any of the reputable tuners can send you the file to the x4. You upload and then load to car.

Open or closed box intake is your big question. Do you do a lot of drag racing? Or stoplight to to stoplight racing? If so you probably want to stay closed box to keep iats down as much as possible.
If you spend more time on the backroads/ twisties playing or roll racing then the open box will get you a little more air flow. Iats do rise higher with an open box but i havent noticed power being pulled until 115°ish.
How much power you think has been pulled once the IAT get above and beyond 115 ish? I seen over 150 but that is when stopped for a long time with A/C on hot days (Sams gas line).

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
How much power you think has been pulled once the IAT get above and beyond 115 ish? I seen over 150 but that is when stopped for a long time with A/C on hot days (Sams gas line).
I've never data logged it to see exactly how much but it gets noticeable around there. Usually once its that hot outside im not in the mood for beating on my car like normal so I can't say I test it often.
Sponsored