Sponsored

CA Emissions on a new Mustang!!!... RANT

Ed2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Be careful if you're out there shopping for an out of state car and you live in a state like California with strict emissions.

I put down a deposit on a stock lightly used mustang today only to realize shortly thereafter that the car isn't California emissions compliant, so I can't buy it since I live in California (Update - thankfully they agreed to give me my deposit back).

Ford... if you're listening why is Ford the only company left that still makes new cars that aren't 50 state legal??!?

Every other car I've ever looked at (e.g., corvettes) are all 50 states emissions compliant.

That really sucks... :rant:
Sponsored

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Who told you it isn't California compliant?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
So there's not a single S550 Mustang in all of California because it's not legal there?

I somehow doubt that.

Who told you it's not Cali compliant?

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
So there's not a single S550 Mustang in all of California because it's not legal there?

I somehow doubt that.

Who told you it's not Cali compliant?
Ford offers two variations, one of them is 49 State Emission - mine has 50 state emission compliance - this is unique to Texas, but my car was originally delivered to a dealer outside of Texas, and dealer traded, wound up here.

Not sure what is actually different - I work in the parts dept. at a ford dealership, and I have looked at everything in the parts catalogue. I don't see any 50 state / 49 state variation on ANY emission related part on a 2015+ Mustang.

I think the two cars may be identical in every way, except for certification.

OP
OP

Ed2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I think they're all essentially the same. But it clearly says on some mustangs "not for sale in California" on the emissions sticker.

Note - Per the CA DMV website this only seems to apply to new cars or cars with less than 7500 miles.

Sponsored

Grabber By The Bluesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium
Yeah I remember seeing a few saying not for sale in california, that where otherwise killer deals in Texas. I was gonna buy, fly out and drive it back to cali, but eh.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I bought mine in Tx and don't see anything on the window sticker about not being Ca compliant. Where are ya seeing that?

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just write in crayon on the radiator brace "CALIFORNIA COMPLIANT"

Should get by at least 50% of those guys.

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
'02 Mustang GT, '16 Mustang Ecoboost
The car needs to have 7,500 or more miles on it to be able to get registered in CA, that's when the state considers it a used car. If you're military or if the car is first registered in a state not in CA then coming to CA then it's not a issue.

Sponsored

NVGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm in Nevada and I bought my GT brand new.
My window sticker listed under optional Equipment/Other
California Emissions Systems----No Charge.

I believe all cars sold in Nevada must be California Compliant though.

Grabber By The Bluesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium
I bought mine in Tx and don't see anything on the window sticker about not being Ca compliant. Where are ya seeing that?
it'll look like this in the door sill/frame area where weights are listed, sorry couldn't find a newer model year one but it is similar.

-horsepower-california-vs-non-california-2014-mustangs-imageuploadedbyautoguide1449110463.524459.jpg

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, it's on the underside of the hood.

Sure enough though, I bought and live in Ohio. This is my sticker. WTH would be different????
cali.PNG

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Ford offers two variations, one of them is 49 State Emission - mine has 50 state emission compliance - this is unique to Texas, but my car was originally delivered to a dealer outside of Texas, and dealer traded, wound up here.

Not sure what is actually different - I work in the parts dept. at a ford dealership, and I have looked at everything in the parts catalogue. I don't see any 50 state / 49 state variation on ANY emission related part on a 2015+ Mustang.

I think the two cars may be identical in every way, except for certification.
If thats the case thats some shxt put on the books to keep the price of used cars higher. Not a surprise with the political structure in that state and the crxp they pull. I bet it was put on the books to keep the dealers from hittn the auctions in the surrounding states.

redgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 5.2 FPC Swap, Sync 3 Retrofit
Why are people calling used cars new lately on here? You’re not buying a new car, slightly used is USED.
Sponsored

Last edited: