Sponsored

C8 just got crushed and humiliated by the GT500

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Just watched Leno's Garage with him driving the C8 convertible - which was... governed, so it didn't deliver full power - something he noticed right away. you could see him step not he gas and was like... um... LOL

But the classic line of the show came toward the end when he says "you know what I like most about the Corvette? They didn't slap the Corvette badge on some SUV or something."

Boom.

But then a scary response came back... "Oh, you don't think we should do that? we get asked all the time to do that." YIKES! But then a more guarded follow up about the C8 specifically being the drivers car, etc. Makes me worry though. Sounds like they're at least thinking about it.
It's come up more than once during my time there. And I've been gone more than two years now. Some things never change. Some questions continue to get asked. And answered. And asked again.
Sponsored

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
It's come up more than once during my time there. And I've been gone more than two years now. Some things never change. Some questions continue to get asked. And answered. And asked again.
Let's hope the cycle continues. ad nauseam.

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Just about every article said the same thing about the C7, which was generally praised as being the first Vette with a good interior.

As for the Mach E.. at least they didn't slap a Mustang front end on an Escape like GM did with the Blazer.
At least they called it a Blazer and not the new Camaro ZLE.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
@9secondko
So what again got crushed? The GT500 isnt going to out 0-60 a base model vette? :cwl:

these gt500 vs c8 threads are ridiculous, now a gt500 vs c8z, now you're on to something.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, i dont need to read any of these articles. 0-60 is no more overrated than the 0-100-0 times.

I'm side by side teslas all day commuting to work in various vehicles. 0-60 times are definitely relevant on the street. Specially when you're jockeying to be in front of another car. The thing is, doesnt matter how fast those teslas are, i get between them in my s1000rr and just leave them in traffic.
Can never ignore 0-60 imo its as relevant as 0-100-0.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Lol, i dont need to read any of these articles. 0-60 is no more overrated than the 0-100-0 times.

I'm side by side teslas all day commuting to work in various vehicles. 0-60 times are definitely relevant on the street. Specially when you're jockeying to be in front of another car. The thing is, doesnt matter how fast those teslas are, i get between them in my s1000rr and just leave them in traffic.
Can never ignore 0-60 imo its as relevant as 0-100-0.
You don't need to read it because you are ignorant. You believe you already know it all. There is a lot of information in both articles that is relevant.

I can see the thought process on your face now when a Tesla model 3 DESTROYS you off of the line. But my 0-60 time is supposed to be faster!

C8 owners are in for a rude awakening when they are unable to keep up with these model 3 performance cars.

Again, 0-60 times are far overrated.

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't need to read it because you are ignorant. You believe you already know it all. There is a lot of information in both articles that is relevant.
I can see the thought process on your face now when a Tesla model 3 DESTROYS you off of the line. But my 0-60 time is supposed to be faster!
C8 owners are in for a rude awakening when they are unable to keep up with these model 3 performance cars.
Again, 0-60 times are far overrated.
I dont care to read an online article, because I see this situation everyday. I dont need a journalist or some shmuck to tell me whats relevant or isnt. 0-60 isnt relevant ok, thats why you drive a slow mustang. :cwl:

I bet you would be singing to a different tune if the gt500 achieved a crazy 0-60 time. Sometimes you just cant hide the fanboy.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I dont care to read an online article, because I see this situation everyday. I dont need a journalist or some shmuck to tell me whats relevant or isnt. 0-60 isnt relevant ok, thats why you drive a slow mustang. :cwl:

I bet you would be singing to a different tune if the gt500 achieved a crazy 0-60 time. Sometimes you just cant hide the fanboy.
I actually drive a slow Silverado. I have no performance vehicles in my current stable.

As for the GT500, I say the same thing. The Telsa model 3 is going to destroy it from a stop on public roads.

In 10 years, there will be cheap electric vehicles available that will smoke both stoplight to stoplight.

If you want to live in ignorance and continue to believe that 0-60 is somehow relevant good for you. Those 0-60 times sure don't look the same when you have 1/8 thread left on hard tires.

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually drive a slow Silverado. I have no performance vehicles in my current stable.

As for the GT500, I say the same thing. The Telsa model 3 is going to destroy it from a stop on public roads.

In 10 years, there will be cheap electric vehicles available that will smoke both stoplight to stoplight.

If you want to live in ignorance and continue to believe that 0-60 is somehow relevant good for you. Those 0-60 times sure don't look the same when you have 1/8 thread left on hard tires.
I got smoked by a model 3 in my viper, the guy must've had it in launch control mode, 0-60, then a stop light came. He made a left, I made a right.

Outside electric cars, the 0-60 time are getting lower and lower and its still a stat that is measured and comapred. Again, if the gt500 can achieve a quick 0-60, you would no doubt be talking about it like an achievement similar to 0-100-0 the gt500 does.

I guess I should say its irrelevant too since I got smoked by a model 3, which after a quick search can do it in 3.2 seconds (before update), after update its more like 2.9 seconds.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I got smoked by a model 3 in my viper, the guy must've had it in launch control mode, 0-60, then a stop light came. He made a left, I made a right.

Outside electric cars, the 0-60 time are getting lower and lower and its still a stat that is measured and comapred. Again, if the gt500 can achieve a quick 0-60, you would no doubt be talking about it like an achievement similar to 0-100-0 the gt500 does.

I guess I should say its irrelevant too since I got smoked by a model 3, which after a quick search can do it in 3.2 seconds (before update), after update its more like 2.9 seconds.
My point proven. When low-mid priced 4 door sedans are meeting and exceeding high horsepower performance cars, the how relevant is that metric...really? It's a statistic, sure....but it's quickly become far less meaningful.

As for the GT500, it has an excellent 0-60 time. But again, I don't give two shits about it. The second someone puts on drag radials, the 0-60 time will quickly become sub 3 seconds. Does that mean the car is really better? Hell no, it just means you gave it more traction.

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My point proven. When low-mid priced 4 door sedans are meeting and exceeding high horsepower performance cars, the how relevant is that metric...really? It's a statistic, sure....but it's quickly become far less meaningful.

As for the GT500, it has an excellent 0-60 time. But again, I don't give two shits about it. The second someone puts on drag radials, the 0-60 time will quickly become sub 3 seconds. Does that mean the car is really better? Hell no, it just means you gave it more traction.
A performance model 3, is $64k which is in the ball park of a c8. Just because an electric car beats our gas cars doesnt mean 0-60 is no longer relevant. A model S is the same price range as a GT500, does better 0-100-0 than it too, I guess that means 0-100-0 no longer relevant.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
A performance model 3, is $64k which is in the ball park of a c8. Just because an electric car beats our gas cars doesnt mean 0-60 is no longer relevant. A model S is the same price range as a GT500, does better 0-100-0 than it too, I guess that means 0-100-0 no longer relevant.
MSRP on the model 3 is 57k. Cheaper than the c8 and it’s a 4 door sedan. These cars are only getting cheaper. The Mach E performance model is going to be just as quick and will be a bit cheaper with federal rebates.

As for the model a, it’s the performance version that has the fast 0-100-0...and it starts at $100k

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MSRP on the model 3 is 57k. Cheaper than the c8 and it’s a 4 door sedan. These cars are only getting cheaper. The Mach E performance model is going to be just as quick and will be a bit cheaper with federal rebates.

As for the model a, it’s the performance version that has the fast 0-100-0...and it starts at $100k
Negative, go price it again. The one over $100k is with the $7k package auto pilot and unless the 0-100-0 time is done with the base GT500, the model S performance price is nearly the same as a gt500 TP $94k, vs $96k Model S performance.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Negative, go price it again. The one over $100k is with the $7k package auto pilot and unless the 0-100-0 time is done with the base GT500, the model S performance price is nearly the same as a gt500 TP $94k, vs $96k Model S performance.
Typical, choose the higher priced track pack to compare strait line acceleration times instead of the nearly $25k cheaper base GT500. But yeah, you're unbiased.

Anyway, 0-100-0 is a great metric because it doesn't rely on just a launch and optimizing first gear. That Model S performance isn't cheap...and out of reach of most US consumers.
Sponsored