Sponsored

C&D 2016 Lightning Lap Numbers (GT350R Included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
No using my logic they could get within 3-4 seconds. But thanks for sharing your opinion. Maybe you might wanna put the Motor trend down. Take your "R" to a track and start practicing. See for your self. Give it a try Justin. It's fun to actually see how fast your car is. Instead of taking a Magazines word for it!:frusty:
That is precisely what I said to begin with though, was it not? :shrug:

You said that the drivers were "average", when in fact getting within 4 seconds of a record lap of a pro driver would indicate a very good driver IMO, which you just agreed too...?

I'm not a magazine buff. I watch some videos on YouTube, and read the performance test sheet data of some cars on CarandDriver, but just because it generally interests me. I realize that often times owners will achieve faster times, since they are testing the vehicles on unprepped surfaces. Same goes for the drag response, I would bet I could probably get a better time than they as well with a lower altitude and a prepped surface. They test the vehicle on a dry dusty strip of road that is nowhere close to optimal, but more indicative of what you would see in the real world.

And I would absolutely love to, but the nearest track is over 1200 miles and a 7-8 hour Ferry ride away from me lol hopefully get a chance to go on a road trip next year or the following and try it out.
Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Real world testing conditions aside, this forum would have you thinking that the Mustang always gets the shaft in being tested on dusty unprepped surfaces and the competition gets the optimal conditions.

It's exhausting.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Triple Yellow Ecoboost Premium
Based on magazine testing, the stock camaros are the clear performance winners around a track. Drag strips seem much closer. People seem to forget that Ford engineers knew what they were doing. The reason the mustangs are slower around a track isnt because Ford cant make them faster. The reason is they picked different design focuses. Ford wanted to sell cars and obviously made the right decisions to do that. They could have put in more performance parts, I guarantee a lot of the engineers wanted to, but the decision was made that adding those things wasn't going to sell the car. People that really car about track times will take the extra money and mod the cars.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
... People seem to forget that Ford engineers knew what they were doing. The reason the mustangs are slower around a track isnt because Ford cant make them faster. The reason is they picked different design focuses. Ford wanted to sell cars and obviously made the right decisions to do that. They could have put in more performance parts, I guarantee a lot of the engineers wanted to, but the decision was made that adding those things wasn't going to sell the car. People that really car about track times will take the extra money and mod the cars.
:clap2:

I believe that this is 100% correct.

There's nothing inherently superior about the men and women who work for one brand over the other. These are competing designs, each with the intent of making a profit, directly or indirectly. Looking at sales numbers, the strategy and design chosen by Ford is doing a lot better.

GM has spent most of the history of the automobile as the biggest automaker in the world. They know what they're doing too. The Camaro is looking like a sales flop (so far) but not to be ignored is the indirect benefit of brand prestige and the "halo car" effect. There's something to be said for having the best performing car in the segment. These things drive people into showrooms, many times they walk out with a Cruze or a Malibu. Chevrolet could certainly use some buffing and polish to their reputation. The Camaro is certainly achieving that (everywhere outside of Mustang6g, of course).

What does that have to do with the Lightning Lap? Absolutely nothing.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Triple Yellow Ecoboost Premium
:clap2:

I believe that this is 100% correct.

There's nothing inherently superior about the men and women who work for one brand over the other. These are competing designs, each with the intent of making a profit, directly or indirectly. Looking at sales numbers, the strategy and design chosen by Ford is doing a lot better.

GM has spent most of the history of the automobile as the biggest automaker in the world. They know what they're doing too. The Camaro is looking like a sales flop (so far) but not to be ignored is the indirect benefit of brand prestige and the "halo car" effect. There's something to be said for having the best performing car in the segment. These things drive people into showrooms, many times they walk out with a Cruze or a Malibu. Chevrolet could certainly use some buffing and polish to their reputation. The Camaro is certainly achieving that (everywhere outside of Mustang6g, of course).

What does that have to do with the Lightning Lap? Absolutely nothing.
Very well said. I have a personal, irrational dislike of German cars so I just laugh when any American car smokes them in magazine tests. :clap2:

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
That is precisely what I said to begin with though, was it not? :shrug:

You said that the drivers were "average", when in fact getting within 4 seconds of a record lap of a pro driver would indicate a very good driver IMO, which you just agreed too...?

I'm not a magazine buff. I watch some videos on YouTube, and read the performance test sheet data of some cars on CarandDriver, but just because it generally interests me. I realize that often times owners will achieve faster times, since they are testing the vehicles on unprepped surfaces. Same goes for the drag response, I would bet I could probably get a better time than they as well with a lower altitude and a prepped surface. They test the vehicle on a dry dusty strip of road that is nowhere close to optimal, but more indicative of what you would see in the real world.

And I would absolutely love to, but the nearest track is over 1200 miles and a 7-8 hour Ferry ride away from me lol hopefully get a chance to go on a road trip next year or the following and try it out.
No it wasn't exactly what you said. The pro magazine crowd named one magazine guy that happened to be a good driver out of the lot of them. (A good driver in the 3-4 second range of a pro.) Most likely there were 8-10 magazine writers testing during the Lightning Lap article. I could go to the fast list on this forum and make the same point. Look some drivers are better than others on that list also. You named ONE GUY. That put up a decent time. Meaning everyone else in the group that tested cars for the lightning lap. Probably is two to three seconds slower than him. And most likely five to six second slower than a pro! (These 8-9 other guys represent the average time!) Go figure. But I find it's always the guys like you. That don't race their cars in any type of competitive way. That are the ones that sware by the Magazines. Not a knock. Just an observation. And also for the record. I do hope you get to experience your car out on a track. Where it was designed to be at home. It's sad to think that you believe you could never better the Lightning Lap time. The Magazines say the Mustang GT is a 13 second car in the 1/4 mile. I ran a 12.7 on my first pass on a 90 degree day in July. That run DA corrected to a 12.4. Anyway, Good luck and keep the shiny side up if you ever do make it to a road course.

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It's exhausting.
Maybe move on to something else? Let me help:

- make a contribution in the tech forums
- add to some of the [computer/mobile] tech talk in the off topic section
- post up some 1/4 mile times of your own, from a car you own
- recommend some detailing techniques or products
- post some videos of a track event you attended

I mean, we were down at Universal for 4 days, I come back and you're on the _exact_same_page_ ... complaining about the complaining. :lol:

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS

I mean, we were down at Universal for 4 days, I come back and you're on the _exact_same_page_ ... complaining about the complaining. :lol:
OMG. Universal is my favorite place on earth. I go about 3 times a year. Loews Portofino is the best hotel too. Now you got me amped for my Jan 15th Vacation!!!!!

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
OMG. Universal is my favorite place on earth. I go about 3 times a year. Loews Portofino is the best hotel too. Now you got me amped for my Jan 15th Vacation!!!!!
Oh yeah us too, we also go about 3 time a year, season passholders and only 2 hours away. This was trip 2 of 3 this year (of about 50 times total), we generally rotate between the three original onsite hotels, but probably have stayed at the Royal Pacific more than the others, did this time, but at the Portofino last time (the RP and Hardrock are a nice walk to the park vs. taking a boat). Kong was open, as well as the revised Hulk. Plus our little G has been stoked the last couple of visits, she hit 52" so she's able to ride the Rockit and Doom (she's pretty badass for an 8 year old)

WHY!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

I can tell you with 100% certainty the MRGTX has driven both the S550 GT with the performance package, and the SS Camaro (non 1LE). I would tell you what he thought, but I don't want you to get any more upset.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
No it wasn't exactly what you said. The pro magazine crowd named one magazine guy that happened to be a good driver out of the lot of them. (A good driver in the 3-4 second range of a pro.) Most likely there were 8-10 magazine writers testing during the Lightning Lap article. I could go to the fast list on this forum and make the same point. Look some drivers are better than others on that list also. You named ONE GUY. That put up a decent time. Meaning everyone else in the group that tested cars for the lightning lap. Probably is two to three seconds slower than him. And most likely five to six second slower than a pro! (These 8-9 other guys represent the average time!) Go figure. But I find it's always the guys like you. That don't race their cars in any type of competitive way. That are the ones that sware by the Magazines. Not a knock. Just an observation. And also for the record. I do hope you get to experience your car out on a track. Where it was designed to be at home. It's sad to think that you believe you could never better the Lightning Lap time. The Magazines say the Mustang GT is a 13 second car in the 1/4 mile. I ran a 12.7 on my first pass on a 90 degree day in July. That run DA corrected to a 12.4. Anyway, Good luck and keep the shiny side up if you ever do make it to a road course.
What in good god are you getting on with? I never named anyone, I know not the name of any of the test drivers whatsoever. I'll list it out for you....

- You said that 3-4 seconds slower than a pro represented an "average" driver.

- I responded saying that your definition of "average" is way off IMO. That by your logic, if 3-4 seconds behind a pro with a record lap designates and "average" driver, then a good driver could get maybe 1-2 seconds behind that same pro, which is, IMO, ridiculous to even think.

- You then replied and said no, a "very good" driver could get within 3-4 seconds of the pro and lap record.... Which is exactly what I said to begin with.

Almost your entire post is completely irrelevant and way off base from anything I stated. Where did I say that I do not believe I could potentially go faster than the magazine drivers??? Where the hell are you getting that I "swear" by the magazines too?

Are you literally not reading anything I am writing? I don't know if you read someone else's post and confused them with me with some of what you're saying or not, because the majority of it has no bearing whatsoever in response to anything I have said.

Memphis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
What in good god are you getting on with? I never named anyone, I know not the name of any of the test drivers whatsoever. I'll list it out for you....

- You said that 3-4 seconds slower than a pro represented an "average" driver.

- I responded saying that your definition of "average" is way off IMO. That by your logic, if 3-4 seconds behind a pro with a record lap designates and "average" driver, then a good driver could get maybe 1-2 seconds behind that same pro, which is, IMO, ridiculous to even think.

- You then replied and said no, a "very good" driver could get within 3-4 seconds of the pro and lap record.... Which is exactly what I said to begin with.

Almost your entire post is completely irrelevant and way off base from anything I stated. Where did I say that I do not believe I could potentially go faster than the magazine drivers??? Where the hell are you getting that I "swear" by the magazines too?

Are you literally not reading anything I am writing? I don't know if you read someone else's post and confused them with me with some of what you're saying or not, because the majority of it has no bearing whatsoever in response to anything I have said.
Don't mind ole Blue. He just likes straight lines. Anything that deviates from that and he doesn't know how to adjust .

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Oh yeah us too, we also go about 3 time a year, season passholders and only 2 hours away. This was trip 2 of 3 this year (of about 50 times total), we generally rotate between the three original onsite hotels, but probably have stayed at the Royal Pacific more than the others, did this time, but at the Portofino last time (the RP and Hardrock are a nice walk to the park vs. taking a boat). Kong was open, as well as the revised Hulk. Plus our little G has been stoked the last couple of visits, she hit 52" so she's able to ride the Rockit and Doom (she's pretty badass for an 8 year old)
That's so badass!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.