Sponsored

Buyer's Remorse..?

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
So just recently picked up a stang... v6 m/t with the optional 051a package...
After 1k miles, and about a month of driving.... Its just not doing it for me.

Now even though I knew how to drive manual before, this is MY first manual car.. I upgraded from a 2012 altima 4 cylinder with an auto... so a step up in power big time.
SO my question is...
Is it just the v6 with not enough power that isn't making me happy?
Should I have gotten the auto?

OR is mustang just not for me?
(Yes i owned a 1989 fox 5.0 which i LOVED but an auto)

Please any feedback, comments, anything really...
I know im going to take a 4 to 5k hit on returning it. :(
It's probably a power issue. IMO, there's nothing more annoying than flooring your new performance car and it feeling underwhelming.
A tune will not make THAT much of a difference, not worth jeopardizing your warranty. Also keep in mind that the 5.0 and V6 don't really make real power until around 3500 rpm, so flooring at low rpm will make them feel lazy.

Also, the manual may not be for you. To me, autos are boring. Do you get really in to the feel and control of shifting manually?

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It's probably a power issue. IMO, there's nothing more annoying than flooring your new performance car and it feeling underwhelming.
That's exactly the feeling I had when I test drove EcoBoost (it was only one they had for test drives, I was ordering GT). Suspension - great, engine with its lag - underwhelming.

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
I think some have hit on it - Sounds like you have powertrain remorse.

I live in San Diego, and hit traffic daily - The manual is of no issue here. Perhaps it's me, but - I don't really mind it. That's going to be a tough one there, Everyone has different feels/opinions on traffic.

Wish you the best of luck, Sounds like you're against aftermarket - which is understandable. But perhaps a cheaper axle/catback can give you that spark you're looking for.

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Driving MT is no problem. I have it down and no hiccups. It's still so much of a hassle, this might be just because I live in CA where traffic is almost anywhere. The only thing I'm thinking is if maybe an auto will be better for me? I don't know how fords new autos are for performance.

I like the "just go". Being able to just get on the gas and go, but even with the Stang I was hoping for that huge smile on my face but it never once happened. Not yet. Even waited for the break in period.. Have taken it up to GMR canyon, a couple back roads, dumping the clutch , pulling through gears, and still nothing.
Everyone seems to love their new Stang, so maybe it's just me.:shrug:
This was 100% how I felt when I bought my 2011 manual GT. I drove a manual from the age of 18 to 27 and loved it. I moved to a different area, new commute, bought a 2011 manual GT and hated my daily drive. The clutch also started to give me some knee problems when stuck in traffic for a while.

I ended up getting a 2015 GT Automatic this time around, and I love this car. When the roads are open, I do miss the manual, but during 90% of my driving I prefer the auto.

Maybe a bump to the Ecoboost Auto would do it for you? I test drove a couple, manual and auto, and I enjoyed them quite a bit.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Could it also be that since it's a manual, he doesn't have the Sport+ mode which according to all the automatic transmission people, it really brings the car alive?

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
That's exactly the feeling I had when I test drove EcoBoost (it was only one they had for test drives, I was ordering GT). Suspension - great, engine with its lag - underwhelming.
I was sorta on the fence about the EB. But seeing how people are saying the Cobb tune really makes the car be what it should be, I'm reconsidering the EB now.

TiE2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium, with saddle interior
Under normal driving, what RPM do you shift at? Same for spirited driving. What gear are you in when taking a spirited turn? Or a normal rolling turn? When passing someone, do you down shift, or stay in a high gear and floor it? Depending on speed and gear, this can make any car feel sluggish to get up to speed.

I find driving a manual car (any car) is like orchestrating a symphony. Rev matching downshifts, up-shifting at the correct time, finding that perfect balance in gear and RPM for the perfect pass.

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
dont you have the 30 days to return it of you dont like it or some like that? or you had to get that option while dong the finance? cant remember

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
The EB is that Audi A5 type and the GT is your American Muscle.
I think your comment nailed it. My friends who have 3 series coupes, audi A5/S5 who normally wouldn't care for "american" all seem to like my s550 EB.

I use my EB as a DD, and the word LOVE doesn't begin to descrdescribe how I feel driving it the 10 min to commute. I do drive it like I just stole it. I love the low end torque in this thing.

The dealers didn't get it either. They all tried to tell me that I want one of the many V6's in their stock. One guy even said, "it's a MUSCLE car! Why do you want a wimpy 4cyl?"

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I think your comment nailed it. My friends who have 3 series coupes, audi A5/S5 who normally wouldn't care for "american" all seem to like my s550 EB.

I use my EB as a DD, and the word LOVE doesn't begin to descrdescribe how I feel driving it the 10 min to commute. I do drive it like I just stole it. I love the low end torque in this thing.

The dealers didn't get it either. They all tried to tell me that I want one of the many V6's in their stock. One guy even said, "it's a MUSCLE car! Why do you want a wimpy 4cyl?"
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Yah I'm really torn between the EB and GT. I was looking at an A3/A4/A5 before I saw the Mustang and so I'm in this mode of "Well you were going to get an Audi and that was a 2.0 Turbo so that would mean you should get the EB"

Then you have the whole "Well for what you were paying for the Audi, you could get a GT and that would then be like getting an Audi RS5".

So then I was more swayed to the GT but now I'm really wondering if I need the power and just should go with the EB, get the Cobb Tune (which supposedly really makes it feel 'right').

I mean the EB is well above the 220 HP A5 and is right under the Audi S5 with 333HP, the EB is 315HP but with the Cobb tune it puts it up there in the 330 range.

The things I'd want from the EB though is the PP but I hate the dash and I hate the rims.

...soooooo torn.

ShoNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Dodge Recall... I mean Avenger
The dealers were trying to get you in a cheaper car? I think I stepped into an alternate universe.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
dont you have the 30 days to return it of you dont like it or some like that? or you had to get that option while dong the finance? cant remember
LOL, you don't even have 24 hours! Once that contract is signed you are done!

99% of Car salesmen don't know shi$ about cars! All they care about is moving cars/next sale...
I had one try to convince me that the V6 Camaro was faster than the 5.0.

Last edited:

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
fix your clutch
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13497

what is it about the altima you like better? I used to have auto v6 altima: that thing had power but nothing like this horse
This is a car for drivers not passengers
Is it possible for one to reduce the clutch travel? I understand the spring-removal would make it a little harder to depress the clutch, but I'd be looking for a ~50% reduction in travel as there's way too much space between the engagement point and the floor.

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
24 hours? This isn't best buy fellas, you drive it away you buy it.

I think the lesson here is test drive it if your not sure or haven't been behind at least a s197 in the last 10 years.

I also dont buy the whole detuned v6 thing. It's the same exact engine in a more modern car. I say spend a few bucks on exhaust and power adders and it can go a long way.
Sponsored