Sponsored

Clutch Spring Removal to Aid in Linear Pressure

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
My previous car was a 2013 GT that had the famous MT-82 clutch return issues at high RPM. I got rid of that car before having to remove the spring to fix it and got my 15 GT so I have little experience with the benefits and negatives of spring removal.

For some reason in the 15 the non-linear nature of the clutch pressure makes it incredibly hard to drive for me. One of the benefits I read of removing the clutch spring was linear pressure with smoother transitions between gears resulting.

Would that still be a benefit of this process on the revised MT-82 in the S550? I understand it will make the clutch stiffer, but I am OK with that.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Go ahead and yank it to see for yourself. I did on my 2011 and while it took a day or two to get used to the new feel it is absolutely an improvement over the factory setup.

OP
OP

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Go ahead and yank it to see for yourself. I did on my 2011 and while it took a day or two to get used to the new feel it is absolutely an improvement over the factory setup.
I suffer from suspect mechanical skill. I am leery of breaking a clip or something and then not having the option to put it back together appropriately should I not like the results.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I suffer from suspect mechanical skill. I am leery of breaking a clip or something and then not having the option to put it back together appropriately should I not like the results.

The job on a 2011+ Mustang is surprisingly easy, only requiring a small screwdriver. There are videos on YouTube you can review while under your dash. I haven't been under the dash of a 2015 yet but I'm sure somebody has already done it if you scan the interwebz a bit.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Sub'd

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
I started the process to remove it last night, but dark, cold, and rain all hit at the same time here in Florida and cut my efforts short. I will try again at some point and see what happens.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I started the process to remove it last night, but dark, cold, and rain all hit at the same time here in Florida and cut my efforts short. I will try again at some point and see what happens.

Snap a picture and post up when you get the chance.

OP
OP

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Snap a picture and post up when you get the chance.
The mechanism appears to be largely the same,but with a few alterations. The large white cup that is evident on the other videos is no longer a part of the clutch assembly. It is now a much smaller black plastic piece.

I got one good attempt in with the vise grip method and found that the spring was WAY too stiff for that to be done with the pair of grips I own. I will attempt the alternate way when I get a chance. I probably won't have time for a week or two since I am heading out of town and its finals week. :doh:

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
What is the purpose of the spring?

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
From what I have gathered its purpose is to make the clutch lighter and easier to engage. I think mostly it just makes it difficult to modulate.
I pulled the spring off my 15 GT500 and it made the pedal feel heavier, but the engagement point also became consistent. I wish I had done it sooner in that car. Not sure what I'll do with the GT as my Boss 302 also had the spring, but I never felt the need to remove it because the engagement point was lower.

svoguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richie
Vehicle(s)
89 Fox Body 347 Stroker,2015 Mustang GT, PP
I just went out while at work and pulled the spring out of mine. Real easy to do. Not sure if it makes a difference yet or not but it feels a bit stiffer which I like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
I just went out while at work and pulled the spring out of mine. Real easy to do. Not sure if it makes a difference yet or not but it feels a bit stiffer which I like.

Did you just remove the retaining clip and then pull the spring, or did you go with the vise grip method?

svoguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richie
Vehicle(s)
89 Fox Body 347 Stroker,2015 Mustang GT, PP
I'm not sure how the older models were made but with the 15 I just pushed the clutch in to take pressure off of the spring and slid it off of the pin on the pedal.

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I'm not sure how the older models were made but with the 15 I just pushed the clutch in to take pressure off of the spring and slid it off of the pin on the pedal.

too easy to be true! lol. I feel like anyone could try thing now. how does it feel?
Sponsored