Sponsored

Buy 17 or wait for 18 thread

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
Selling or trading my 15 Eco for an 18 GT. Not because of the refresh, but I've been thinking about doing it for a year or so. The timing happens to coincide with the refresh, which I like. Will have to get used to the front lower air vents a bit, but I love how the nose dips and the smaller bumper. And I'm glad I can still get the analog dash cluster.
Sponsored

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Moto111, glad you started this thread, I'm in the same boat.
I really don't care for the looks, but I don't hate it, and I do like new cluster... It's the manual transmission changes I'm most interested in.

I test drove a '17 for quite a while, so long I started feeling guilty . I really liked it and didn't really feel or mind what I felt while shifting.

With that said, everything is lining up for me right now, my funds, trade in, just sold one of my bikes for the car, fi lined up etc. That doesn't mean I can't hold off. But I'm wagering that if I wait I won't get the car options I would want without ordering. Although the '18 is a minor update and the factories won't really have a change over etc... If I could order in summer I doubt I'd have it in hand until winter at the earliest.

Then the fi makers have to figure it out. Who knows how much longer etc. New engine, New trans changes.

I was really set on that mustang, but my eye is starting to wonder towards the camaro... Or even the vette. I won't entertain a dodge. I've read too many mechanical issues on stock cars and the hassles the owners went thru to get them corrected. All manufactures have issues, I know.

Those are my thoughts. Still torn nonetheless.

I have bought a couple "1st" year cars and paid for it every time... That's on my mind too.

OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I don't like how they are waiting until fall to release it. if I get it in October here in Chicago I will have one month until I have to put snow tires on it. wish it was august or something

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
The great question... wait or not to wait... with 2020 knocking on the door already in ~2 years they will release the new (lord knows what) 2020 car. I'm still baffled by why such a large update with only 2 years of production? Maybe ford is changing things up and adding the hybrid vs. a complete redesign in 2020? They are saving a boat load by pulling the V6 and focusing on 2 models. So that leaves the question in 2020 will there be 3 again? I'm thinking yes. But it's an age long question... Me? You only live once and if you live in a state where you can drive it year round and not worry about snow get what ever you want now! If you have to worry about snow and seasonal driving.... considering it'll sit for 4-6 months out of the year, wait till you 110% sure. or like some people your rich, so just stop posting on forums and buy that shit now! and again in 10 months! have 2!

OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I live in Chicago and have drove all my mustangs year round in the winter :) not that hard with good tires

Sponsored

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
A lot of the new features for the 2018 are options (digital dash, magride, dual mode exhaust, lighting), having them all will probably result in a pretty expensive car. If you're looking to spend a lot and those options appeal to you, wait for the 2018. If you're going to buy a pretty much base car anyways, then the 17 might be the way to go.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
This ^^^^ If you want an auto I would wait a year and see if there are any problems with the new 10 speed.
it's in the camaro bascially. it's already tested

I don't like how they are waiting until fall to release it. if I get it in October here in Chicago I will have one month until I have to put snow tires on it. wish it was august or something
sounds like another good excuse to get away from that place :D

OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
magnaride is a no for me im going to do bags. the gauges though haha

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
magnaride is a no for me im going to do bags. the gauges though haha
Are you buying a Mustang for the performance or for the tech? Obviously not known now but it very well could be swappable.

Sponsored
OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
tbh I was happy with the 15 after a tune. I owned a charger scat pack as well and wasn't happy with it to many issues. so I wouldn't say performance is king. im more interested in mpg with the same power we have. not sure how much more they can get honestly. right now the only must have from the 18 is the gauges lol I highly doubt it will swap for less then 2k

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
yeah the price. the LCD display, MagneRide, active exhaust and 12 different rims (plus other things) are all upgrades over the Premium. So if your looking at a PP+premium+LCD+shocks+exhaust+super awsome 20" rims.... I bet your looking at a $50k+ car (with X plan) and the convertible 55$K+ your getting close to GT350 range here.
I gotta think that LCD is going to be a 1000-2000$ option or come in a stupid expensive package, like Active exhaust + lcd = $4300. Who knows? i just get a feeling with all these customization's it could get pricey quick. but i'm hoping since the s550 platform is still pretty standard with the 18 all these "optional things" for the 18 will bolt on to the 15-17's to.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Buy neither. Lease a 17 or used 16, and buy a 2020

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I think you'll see them in August on lots.

The great question... wait or not to wait... with 2020 knocking on the door already in ~2 years they will release the new (lord knows what) 2020 car. I'm still baffled by why such a large update with only 2 years of production? Maybe ford is changing things up and adding the hybrid vs. a complete redesign in 2020? They are saving a boat load by pulling the V6 and focusing on 2 models. So that leaves the question in 2020 will there be 3 again? I'm thinking yes. But it's an age long question... Me? You only live once and if you live in a state where you can drive it year round and not worry about snow get what ever you want now! If you have to worry about snow and seasonal driving.... considering it'll sit for 4-6 months out of the year, wait till you 110% sure. or like some people your rich, so just stop posting on forums and buy that shit now! and again in 10 months! have 2!
It's 3 years of production on the current S550. When the S650 comes out that will be in 2020 so that is '17, '18, '19 & part of '20 you'll be waiting through. That's not ~2 years...that's 3 (17-18, 18-19, 19-20).

Why the large update? Because the S550 was the design stage of the new Mustang with IRS & some in the know said the '18 was going to be the bigger update for the S550 & that's exactly what it was. The '18 are major improvements/updates on the car & Chevy somewhat helped these changes get pushed faster (dont think we'd see the gauges, pp on autos without the new Camaro).

If you look what they did, it's basically more in line with what Chevy did with their 6th gen but with release in terms of doing both Design/Tech/Mech. Instead Ford did theirs in 2 groupings. Design in '15, major Tech/Mech improvements in '18.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
If money isn't an issue then absolutely wait. But I feel like a pimped out GT is going to be a pretty penny now.
Sponsored