Brembo Brakes

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I am genuinely curious.
On a 2017 Mustang GT Premium, why do Ford not offer Brembo Brakes?

Are Brembo Brakes only considered for Performance Pack packages?

Thanks all. Looking forward to your feedback.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Because they are mass produced vehicles and it would slow down the line to customize each unit beyond it's package. And believe me, based on how some of these cars come off the line, you do not want some bozo on 3rd shift putting anymore on than they need to. That's why they have Ford Performance.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I am genuinely curious.
On a 2017 Mustang GT Premium, why do Ford not offer Brembo Brakes?

Are Brembo Brakes only considered for Performance Pack packages?

Thanks all. Looking forward to your feedback.
Yes, Brembo calipers only come with the Performance Package, just as they used to come with the Track Pack. Why? In order to justify the cost of the PP to the consumer, Ford has to offer something tangible. A Torsen is awesome, better cooling is awesome, bigger wheels and (marginally) better tires, yup, but bigger brakes are a big selling point for people willing to plunk down $4k for a Performance Package.

Because they are mass produced vehicles and it would slow down the line to customize each unit beyond it's package. And believe me, based on how some of these cars come off the line, you do not want some bozo on 3rd shift putting anymore on than they need to. That's why they have Ford Performance.
That's, umm, exactly what mass production is. They don't produce giant lots of cars that all have the exact same options, they deliver the right parts to the right car exactly at the time they're needed - it's called Just In Time (JIT) manufacturing. If Ford wanted to make Brembo brakes an option for all cars, they could easily have done that, assuming they had parts supplier availability that met the demand. How do you think your car was customized on the production floor? Do you think fairies come in after the car is built and swap out the base brakes for PP brakes, and the 4" display for the 8" display, etc?

JR

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
The 4 piston stock GT brakes are no slouch in their own right.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
The 4 piston stock GT brakes are no slouch in their own right.
Just imagine the Brembos.. :D

Besides just the brakes components themselves, the PP cars also have under car aero to aid in brake cooling, and different ABS logic.

When you compare the "total braking package" from a standard vs PP car its a considerable upgrade. :ford:

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Because I beleive Ford has more focus on comfort, driving and sportiness (Hence the term GT) over performance for the Mustang which is why they offer packages to take it out of that zone. Normal day cars have no need for Brembo performance braking and quite frankly I'd be terrified if a lot of cars had stop bite like Brembos. There would be so many rear end accidents by the idiots who already unnecessarily slam on their brakes.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The stock brakes on the Mustang GT are 4 piston Brembos minus the fancy painted caliper or markings. Ford doesn’t market it that way because you possibly wouldn’t opt for the Performance Pack with 6 piston Brembos.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
The stock brakes on the Mustang GT are 4 piston Brembos minus the fancy painted caliper or markings. Ford doesn’t market it that way because you possibly wouldn’t opt for the Performance Pack with 6 piston Brembos.
I'm not sure that this is correct. I was under the impression that the non-Brembo calipers were manufactured by TRW.

JR

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, interesting!

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now I really want to know!

I have to admit, just having 'Brembo' decals on the brakes look good (when I see others with it).

I'm not sure that this is correct. I was under the impression that the non-Brembo calipers were manufactured by TRW.

JR

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Now I really want to know!

I have to admit, just having 'Brembo' decals on the brakes look good (when I see others with it).
1000% false.

The 4 piston calipers on the GT and the EB PP are not Brembos. They weigh as much as the 6 piston Brembos without the performance advantage.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
1000% false.

The 4 piston calipers on the GT and the EB PP are not Brembos. They weigh as much as the 6 piston Brembos without the performance advantage.
Correct. The S197 4 piston Brembo calipers are significantly smaller.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The 4 piston calipers are actually slightly heavier than the Brembos
Yup here are my weights when I did the swap

weight
2015 ecoboost PP/standard GT caliper
4 piston
Disc 29lbs
Pads and hardware 3.2lbs