Break In Period?

bobmclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I get mine next (fingers crossed) what is the consensus on the break in period...to do or not to do? Also, first oil change 500 or 1,000?
Thank you,
Bob
Sponsored

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Quoting myself for posterity.

Most break in instructions on high performance cars are for the driver, and not the drivetrain. The most important/feared word to a manufacturer is not WARRANTY, it is LIABILITY.

I know Porsche puts every engine on a block for a break in run at the factory, but Ford has much higher production numbers so that may not be true - although I would not be surprised if the voodoo gets some sort of break in or test run at the plant.
  1. Always ensure oil is at normal operating temperature before passing 3k RPM (this is by far the most important rule)
  2. Never load the engine - when in doubt, select a lower gear
  3. Do not let RPM stay in the same range for a long time (no long idle, no cruise control)
  4. Vary RPMs through the use of 1/2 WOT and full WOT (remembering rule 2)
  5. Employ compression braking from redline to 2-3k RPM
  6. Change the oil at 3-5k miles only if you're superstitious
You will have an engine that doesn't burn oil, doesn't leak oil and lives up to its specifications.

:cheers:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Most break in instructions on high performance cars are for the driver, and not the drivetrain. The most important/feared word to a manufacturer is not WARRANTY, it is LIABILITY.

I agree 100%

Sponsored

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
I get mine next (fingers crossed) what is the consensus on the break in period...to do or not to do? Also, first oil change 500 or 1,000?
Thank you,
Bob
What consensus? The manual states at least 100 miles before any extended high rpm shifts and 1,000 miles before any track use.

Mr. Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheeeee!
The thing to note here is the manual states "Extended WOT". That means don't do land speed runs, but go ahead and use some WOT as you please. There's nothing in there about avoiding high rpm either.

I believe in the hard break in method. My car saw 8,250 multiple times on the drive home from the dealer. I did 20-30 pulls of 3k to 7,500 + and then let it engine brake down. After that about 10 miles of normal operation for temps to stabalize. After that the break in is done. Change the oil, continue to have fun.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I'd say 500 miles is a good point for the first oil change.

Sponsored

needspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Challenger Hellcat - Tored

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
What is "normal" operating temp?
That's a per-platform question. You should reach normal temps in about 10 minutes or less on a 70 degree day, depending on how much you're sitting in traffic. I want to say it was 180 in the 911, and the post after yours suggestion 180-220 is probably in the right range.

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
Always ensure oil is at normal operating temperature before passing 3k RPM (this is by far the most important rule)

Never load the engine - when in doubt, select a lower gear

Do not let RPM stay in the same range for a long time (no long idle, no cruise control)

Vary RPMs through the use of 1/2 WOT and full WOT (remembering rule 2)

Employ compression braking from redline to 2-3k RPM

Change the oil at 3-5k miles only if you're superstitious

You will have an engine that doesn't burn oil, doesn't leak oil and lives up to its specifications.
This is the method that I've always followed in all of my cars.

Another thing I would add is to give the clutch a few hundred miles before you try to do anything crazy like launching.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I also like to pay attention to heat cycles. New engines = 3-4 cycles of Cold-OperatingTemp-Cold.
Sponsored