Sponsored

Brake failure!

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
Wouldent you expect the brake pedal to feel spongy? I have driven over 400 miles since the service and not had any issues till now.
[/QUO

that is odd yes.
I know on a motorbike
Wouldn't air in the system be present all the time? I have driven about 400 miles and only now I'm having issues. I will definatly give it a go though!
didnt realise its 400 miles but yes it shouldn’t happen.
FWIW, I race motorbikes and if you get a strong tankslapper when Hard on the throttle, it can push the pads in slightly, which results in a lever to the bars for the next corner. One or 2 lever pulls and you’re back to full brakes.
I just cannot fathom how this could happen in a car ?
if you push the pads back I slightly with a screwdriver lodged in between the disc and pads, your foot will go to the floor on first pump.
could it be someone messing with you ?
Sponsored

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I'm wondering if there might have been an issue with the brake booster or vacuum? I'm not an expert on brake systems though.
I find it very coincidental that you had a brake service within the last week and all the sudden this issue occurs when it never has before. You can also get air introduced to the master cylinder if they didn't bleed them properly. I worked on a corvette recently that was having air introduced into the system. bleed the system multiple times, replaced the master cylinder twice, etc. It turned out to be slightly warped rotors. The rapid pulsation of the pads on the warped rotor was causing air in the system. The rotors weren't even warped enough to feel it when braking.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
No still have the same pads. I have used the brakes quite a bit since the service too

First off, if they added brake fluid, with worn pads. Installing new pads will cause the fluid to rise.
Best practice is to check, and add fluid if needed when all pads are new.

Op; was the break peddle hard or felt hard and the car was not stopping. If yes that is a possible indication that the booster, has lost vacuum. I would or have the vacuum line that connects to the booster checked.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Was your brake pedal firm and normal despite the car not stopping as expected?

From the rest of the posts it sure seems like your car is fine. Maybe there was something on the road surface that made it very slick that you just couldn't see. Did you happen to notice any strange flashing lights on the dash at the time of trying to stop?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
look at the piston on the back part of the brake pedal going into firewall. See if there is any wetness.

Twenty4/7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 RR GT500
look at your bleeders on the brakes. i changed brake fluid on my car and took it to the track and the bleeders were weeping fluid the whole day (performance pack brembos). i did a quick search and this has been happening to people for years and they have to replace the bleeders. i had to pump up the pedal after the car sat a couple times but never had complete failure. but something to check out.
Sponsored