Brake failure!

ChimpAndy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 2016
Hi everyone, just joined up to get some advice from the more knowledgeable people here! I left work today, probably drove 200m and had to stop at a junction. I applied the breaks and nothing happened! After pushing the breaks harder there was finally enough force to stop, I wasn't going fast and the car stopped with its nose only poking a little way into the junction. I drove off down the road and tested the breaks a few more times and eventually they started working again.....

The brakes were fine for the rest of the journey. I stopped at tesco and when I left they were still fine. When I got home I switched off and left the car for an hour. Pumped the brakes to remove any residule power assistance and started up again and the brakes still worked.

I'm no expert on cars but I would like to avoid going through that again. Any ideas what could cause it? I drive a 2016 5.0 GT. The car was serviced a week and a half ago and the brake fluid was replaced. I have driven it quite a bit since with no issues and the level is still fine.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Did you check the fluid level?

Roadsign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
What were the weather conditions? A layer of water between the pads and rotors can cause the issue you're describing. It can happen while driving in rain and even if the vehicle sits out in the weather.
Not a bad idea to inspect the brake system also.

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
By any chance did they change your pads also?

Sponsored

OP
OP

ChimpAndy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 2016
What were the weather conditions? A layer of water between the pads and rotors can cause the issue you're describing. It can happen while driving in rain and even if the vehicle sits out in the weather.
Not a bad idea to inspect the brake system also.
Surely thats not a problem with modern brakes? my car has been parked in the rain all day. Never experienced anything like that before though. My brakes and lines were inspected as part of the Ford 5 year service and no issues were found. This was obviously only a visual though so wouldent detect problems with the master cylinder etc.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
They may have introduced air into your brake lines when they replaced the fluid. The master cylinder can go dry or air can be introduced through the bleeder screw if not done properly.

OP
OP

ChimpAndy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 2016
They may have introduced air into your brake lines when they replaced the fluid. The master cylinder can go dry or air can be introduced through the bleeder screw if not done properly.
Brakes don't feel spongy. They feel very normal.

OP
OP

ChimpAndy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 2016
I'm wondering if there might have been an issue with the brake booster or vacuum? I'm not an expert on brake systems though.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the brake fluid service you had recently is almost certainly related. Take note - that shop can't be trusted anymore to do work correctly. I'd take it back and give them the option to deal with it, or take it to a better shop and cut ties with that place immediately.

Brake fluid flushing, done correctly will absolutely NOT result in a surprise brake failure like this. The messed something up and that's serious when its the brakes.

Jupiter Sean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS Blk
Vehicle Showcase
Bleed your brakes again.
Do it yourself this time...

OP
OP

ChimpAndy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 2016
Bleed your brakes again.
Do it yourself this time...
Wouldn't air in the system be present all the time? I have driven about 400 miles and only now I'm having issues. I will definatly give it a go though!
Sponsored