Sponsored

Brake caliper Paint

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Also, I spoke to duplicolor/vht and they said engine enamal will also work just fine.the only difference is engine enamal is rated@ 550F instead of 900f .

I am not going to track the car so 500f is more than enough. I chose this rout because I am painting it ford dark blue and they don't offer it in Caliper paint.
Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Thinking about painting the brake caliper. Not sure what color to go with, car is gray.
Anyone done this yet, if so please post pictures. Thank you
If you like the out of the marble can notice me red go with that...
Drive many miles in your Shelby?

blk2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
@blk2017
Did you apply the clear coat after the 200f cure process?

Also,

Did you tape the Pistons and the where the calipers slid on before painting them?
I clear coated (1-2 coats) before I baked. I then applied the decals and clear coated again. Probably did 3-4 light coats mostly concentrating on the front face where the decals are. I didn't want the red to bleed through behind the white decals so I baked before I put on the decals.

On the pistons, I used like 3 layers of simple duct tape. Just clean the area around the pistons and the piston seals real good with brake cleaner and rubbing alcohol. The tape will stick fine. Sand blasting won't effect the rubber seals but will eat into the metal pistons. I pushed the pistons all the way in by hand so that they were plane or below plane of the inner caliper face.

After sand blasting, I used a dremel and ground off a lot of the alu casting seams and went over everything with 120 grit sandpaper.

upload_2018-9-28_10-30-54.png

You can see the duct tape piston covers if you look closely, You will also notice how "most" of the alu seams are gone especially along the front face. Not perfect but much better.

Hope this helps!

blk2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So I went ahead and got mine sand blasted and will start the paint process this weekend.
IMG_20180924_143243_1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Noticed that you left the connecting tube on. Looks sand blasted :-) I took mine off and plugged the holes with bolts - same size as the rest. I then, before I put everything back together, touched up the black with simple black enamel paint and a brush. There is also a rubber insulator on the tube. Just cleaned it up, its black too. The black with the red looks nice. Looks good though!

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So I went ahead and got mine sand blasted and will start the paint process this weekend.
IMG_20180924_143243_1.jpg
Noticed that you left the connecting tube on. Looks sand blasted :-) I took mine off and plugged the holes with bolts - same size as the rest. I then, before I put everything back together, touched up the black with simple black enamel paint and a brush. There is also a rubber insulator on the tube. Just cleaned it up, its black too. The black with the red looks nice. Looks good though![/QUOTE]

I did take off the tube on one caliper but I couldn't find the right thread size. I looked everywhere local and no one had it.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Changed my mind on the color and used por 15. This paint is incredibly strong and easy to lay. Paint will level flat and smooth after applied. Much much better than g2 paint and it was only $15. I still have more than half of can left. I also used por 15 metal prep before applying the paint.
IMG_20180929_172230_01.jpg
Sponsored