Sponsored

Both Rear Wheel Bearings Failure

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
OP how did you determine it was the wheel bearings? I have the clunk issues etc but just thought it was that drivetrain slop. Is it the same side to side top and bottom shake by hand?
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Sometimes the wheel will wobble, other times the wheel does not wobble but there is a distinctive metallic clinking sound especially when accelerating.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
OP how did you determine it was the wheel bearings? I have the clunk issues etc but just thought it was that drivetrain slop. Is it the same side to side top and bottom shake by hand?
The wheels were wobbling all around. You gotta get the wheels up and just tug on them.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'm taking it back in to the dealership Monday morning. The clunking is returning, so either the wheel-bearing nut has come lose, or there's something else in the back end of the car making the noise.

It could be the rear seats clunking around at the latch mechanism, as I've put the seats down and the noise seems to have lessened.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Taking mine in Thursday for what I suspect is the same issue. Started 2-3 weeks ago & it's got 19,768 miles. I haven't pushed it past any limits, no racing...just normal commuting. Very disappointing. Ironically this happens on the very week I finish paying it off. Finished payments Monday (yesterday), putting it in the shop Thursday...SMH
I'd doubt you have a wheel bearing issue. It's the PP cars that seem to have the issue, something about the wider rear wheels/tires.

But let us know.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

I'm taking it back in to the dealership Monday morning. The clunking is returning, so either the wheel-bearing nut has come lose, or there's something else in the back end of the car making the noise.

It could be the rear seats clunking around at the latch mechanism, as I've put the seats down and the noise seems to have lessened.
Strange.. You sure its not your aftermarket suspension items? Keep us posted.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Strange.. You sure its not your aftermarket suspension items? Keep us posted.
I took it in, everything was fine. They did say that my A.M. suspension could be the issue, but the clunking pre-dates the suspension install by at least a year. So, I think I was chasing the clunking, found the wheel-bearings, and the clunking is some trim pieces in the trunk area, maybe the rear seats rattling around at the latching mechanism. The rear passenger seat, in particular, rattles & clunks just by grabbing it and shaking it. When I folded the seats down, the clunking seemed to go away mostly.

Dunno, mechanically the car is fine, so I'm comfortable with everything.

tamer10389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
I'd doubt you have a wheel bearing issue. It's the PP cars that seem to have the issue, something about the wider rear wheels/tires.

But let us know.
The dealership said it's "tire feathering" due to perhaps not having them rotated enough. Also said that there is nothing they can do for the noise, rotating them again will not help, and that the damage is done. Basically said I will be dealing with this noise (that'll progressively get worse) for the remainder life-time of the tires, which are less than half way worn. Does this sound legit?

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The dealership said it's "tire feathering" due to perhaps not having them rotated enough. Also said that there is nothing they can do for the noise, rotating them again will not help, and that the damage is done. Basically said I will be dealing with this noise (that'll progressively get worse) for the remainder life-time of the tires, which are less than half way worn. Does this sound legit?
Can you get a good pic of the tires in question? Right across the tread so we can see how they're wearing?

The OEM tires are shit, so it wouldn't surprise me. There are so many better tires out there, it boggles the mind. The choices are never-ending, and better tires can make your driving experience......better. Definitely check to see if the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires are available in the right sizes for your car, I promise you, you'll be astounded by them.

As far as the bearings, just (carefully) jack the back end of the car up, and see if the wheels wiggle around. It's easy to check, just grab the wheels and try and move them. This is what you're looking for;

Sponsored

Guard GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've got a pretty decent howl coming from my '16 GT. Only on 13k miles. Could it be the wheel bearings? Or a result of tires feathering from alignment issues?

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I've got a pretty decent howl coming from my '16 GT. Only on 13k miles. Could it be the wheel bearings? Or a result of tires feathering from alignment issues?
Hi Guard GT,

I've got a 2016 GT too. I was doing a change of rear end ratios at about 17k miles. The car had been quiet up to that point. I had found a good deal on a differential assembly so all we were doing was a parts swap. When we got the car up on the lift, the rear tires were down to cord all the way around on the inside edge of the rear tires. It wasn't anything that was noticeable just walking by the car unless you got down low and gave things a good look. So....I replaced all four tires and all the sudden, it howled like crazy. The tone would ramp up and down with road speed and wasn't effected at all by whether or not I was accelerating or decelerating. I took the car in and had a four wheel alignment done. The front end was all in spec. The rear end was off on every parameter it could be off on and all of it was biased in a direction that would cause the inside edge of the rear tires to wear abnormally. At first, I was scared to death that I got took on that new differential but finally took it into the dealer and had them check it out. The car was still well within it's 36/36 warranty. They discovered that the right rear wheel bearing was going so they replaced it. On a subsequent test drive, they could tell the left side was going too but it wasn't as loud yet, so they replaced that one as well. That was almost 20k miles ago, farther than the original bearings made it, and it's been blissfully quiet ever since. Mainly, I was just "so" relieved that the noise wasn't coming from the differential.

If your car is exhibiting the same general symptoms I mentioned above, I'd say it's very likely it's the rear wheel bearings. Given how far out of line the rear end on my car was, I'd guess the bearing were being stressed pretty good. I'd encourage you to have the alignment check on both ends either way.

Good luck,
Steve R.

Guard GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi Guard GT,

I've got a 2016 GT too. I was doing a change of rear end ratios at about 17k miles. The car had been quiet up to that point. I had found a good deal on a differential assembly so all we were doing was a parts swap. When we got the car up on the lift, the rear tires were down to cord all the way around on the inside edge of the rear tires. It wasn't anything that was noticeable just walking by the car unless you got down low and gave things a good look. So....I replaced all four tires and all the sudden, it howled like crazy. The tone would ramp up and down with road speed and wasn't effected at all by whether or not I was accelerating or decelerating. I took the car in and had a four wheel alignment done. The front end was all in spec. The rear end was off on every parameter it could be off on and all of it was biased in a direction that would cause the inside edge of the rear tires to wear abnormally. At first, I was scared to death that I got took on that new differential but finally took it into the dealer and had them check it out. The car was still well within it's 36/36 warranty. They discovered that the right rear wheel bearing was going so they replaced it. On a subsequent test drive, they could tell the left side was going too but it wasn't as loud yet, so they replaced that one as well. That was almost 20k miles ago, farther than the original bearings made it, and it's been blissfully quiet ever since. Mainly, I was just "so" relieved that the noise wasn't coming from the differential.

If your car is exhibiting the same general symptoms I mentioned above, I'd say it's very likely it's the rear wheel bearings. Given how far out of line the rear end on my car was, I'd guess the bearing were being stressed pretty good. I'd encourage you to have the alignment check on both ends either way.

Good luck,
Steve R.
Hey Steve-

Appreciate the response as well as the detail on your experience. I definitely think it's the wheel bearings based on your explanation....Taking it in tomorrow morning to be looked at, luckily it's covered under a protection plan I purchased with the dealership. Also have a slight leak coming from my passenger side valve cover gasket. Gotta love it lol.

Guard GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi Guard GT,

Good luck,
Steve R.
Also forgot to ask - Did you change gear ratios? If so, what was the effect on performance?

Waldo Jeffers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible automatic MY 2017
First problems started when my 17 GT convertible had 22.000km on it (~ 13,670mls)
It was a shocking encounter driving on the autobahn with about 155mph (speed limiter was active, then) when I noticed I needed two lanes to go straight, preventing my mustang from smashing into a parcel truck on the slowest right lane. With some luck I managed to stop the car without accident, found nothing, then headed home at only 50-60mph for safety.

Found nut on drivers side was loose. Whole wheel had freeplay of about 3-4cm. Completely unacceptable.
First the dealer tightened the nut, but later I realized that he had gone too far because the whole rim was getting hot when driving and the car felt as being braked all the time.
Ford then rejected supplying a new wheel bearing by guarantee, because the reason for my problems -in ford's view- was the dealer's error and not the crappy 3rd world style wheel bearing.

Bought a pair of new wheel bearings (by the way, they delivered TIMKEN HA590577 !) and serviced it by myself. (yes I'm experienced)
Ford factory procedure of tightening the new stop nut (133Nm in first step, then additional 45 degrees angle) is good, but you need to have some extra blue loctite given on the thread of the half shaft because when you spin the NEW nut on the thread, the powder screw lock will be rubbed-off before the nut reaches its place. Everything was fine then (I replaced both sides of rear wheel bearings).

Now the car has 54.000km on it ( ~ 33,550mls) and the same shit is starting again just after less than 20,000mls.Again, the problems only occur on the driver's side.
I'm totally unhappy with this UNSAFE DETAIL !

Just take a look on the rear wheel bearings of the GT 350 !
They are much better. better construction. More reliable. Also more expensive, but at a decent level in my eyes. Will order one of them to check out if one can swap the GT bearings to the GT350 stuff.

Frankly speaking, the stock GT wheel bearings (whether TIMKEN or something elso) are a piece of shit because they don't match the needs of the Gen6 Mustang.
Even my first car (Model year 1973 Opel cadett B which was a GM Brand at that time, bought it in the early eighties) had wheel bearings that lastet more than 60,000mls.

Never had a car before the mustang that had wheel bearings that broke down before 60,000mls or ten years.
It is totally unacceptable to have a 2017 car capable of more now about 178mph with wheel bearings that only last for 13,500-20,000mls and produce life endangering situations while driving normally on the autobahn when bearings start to get worn off!

I'm really pissed that Ford still plays with the life of their customers just for saving some little money.
Seems they learned nothing out of the Pinto scandal.
Sponsored

Last edited: