Boosting a Coyote! Suggestions!

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hello everyone, I'm new to Mustang forums, so bear with me!
I'm looking into boosting my 2017 GT and I need a some suggestions.
My first question is:
What are the differences between centrifugal, twin screw, and roots-type superchargers in terms of power delivery?
Do centrifugal SC have any lag?
Since they essentially are belt-driver turbos.

I am looking to upgrade the following components before I boost my car:
1. Clutch: https://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-mach600-stage4-grooved-1114gt.html
2. Flywheel: https://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-race-flywheel-8bolt-2015gt.html
3. Driveshaft https://www.americanmuscle.com/dss-aluminum-driveshaft-manual-2015gt.html
4. Brakes: https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford...front-brake-upgrade-kit-1518gtv6eco-ford.html

5. Add the supercharger kit: https://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-r2300-phase-1-supercharger-15gt.html
(this one is not fully decided yet, but it looks easy enough since it comes with a lot of upgrades)

The Supercharger kit comes with the following:
  • TVS2300 Supercharger
  • Upper Intake Manifold
  • Lower Intake Manifold
  • Full Face Low temp radiator
  • Air-to-Water Intercooler
  • ROUSH cold air intake system
  • Twin 60mm throttle body with spacer
  • Fuel rail with fuel injectors
  • 85mm bolt-on supercharger pulley
  • ROUSH PCM Flash Voucher Card
  • All necessary hardware
  • Installation Instructions
I read that I need new cams and a fuel pump. The kit says that it comes with a "Fuel rail" which I'm not 100% sure what it is.
What is the fuel rail?
Any other things I should consider upgrading before I actually boost it?

I have already added this exhaust: https://www.americanmuscle.com/mbrp-stainless-street-catback-black-2015gt.html
and this suspension: https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-shock-strut-kit-1516gt.html?utm_content=Handling - Shock/Strut|Ford Performance&T5_Var4=390233&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&utm_campa ign=AMM+Mustang+Brands+Medium+RLSA&T5_Var3=blue&in tl=0&dialogtech=ppc&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1s riBRD-ARIsABYdwwEHXDDnmfta7F9g45pC_fC6P5ifW-Q_AWwkDhnCFR26XmeciAraO_MaAoUREALw_wcB

Thanks for taking the time to read this! If you have any suggestions, comments, experiences, or any other information you'd like to say, please do so!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
You should do some research in the Forced Induction sub. Most of your questions will be answered there. Everyone will have a different opinion on which is best, so just think about your ultimate goals with the car when making your decisions.

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You should do some research in the Forced Induction sub. Most of your questions will be answered there. Everyone will have a different opinion on which is best, so just think about your ultimate goals with the car when making your decisions.
I just want a little more power. Around the 650HP range and I would like to have some headroom down the line, which is why I'm considering a fuel pump booster or even a new pump altogether.

I'm trying to get people's opinions and learn why they have those opinions so I can make my own and decide on my own.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
They are not belt driven turbos.

They are belt driven air compressors. Turbos are turbine driven centrifugal fans. (I'm just going to ignore the belt driven centrifugal fan...just... no)

They will not act like a turbo AT ALL. Superchargers don't lag down low, but tend to drop off as you spin up (that dang Reynolds Number will always get you on the intake side of an air compressor)... Almost the exact opposite of a turbo.

One of the biggest mistakes made with superchargers is that the lower end gets built to handle the brake horsepower, but not the additional horsepower required to run the compressor. You may be getting 650 at the flywheel, but that crankshaft is handling closer to 800-1000 depending on your pressure.

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
I would personally consider a turbo kit. Gives way more options for boost and power, you can get away with a drop in tank pump, injectors, and a boost a pump for the power level your talking about with room to grow, and not break the bank. No belts to worry about, changing pulleys for different boost levels, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I would personally consider a turbo kit. Gives way more options for boost and power, you can get away with a drop in tank pump, injectors, and a boost a pump for the power level your talking about with room to grow, and not break the bank. No belts to worry about, changing pulleys for different boost levels, etc.
Interesting take, I did and am considering a turbo kit. But I've driven 3 turbocharged cars and I've despised the lag. I like the car to accelerate as soon as I step on the throttle. Maybe going for a small turbo that spools up faster is the way to go. I have never driven a supercharged car, which kind of leaves me thinking that its better than the turbo.

How out of reach is a twin charged setup? I know it has a lot of parts and a lot of things can break, but maybe getting a medium sized turbo and a smaller supercharger I can get the power delivery I want?

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
They are not belt driven turbos.

They are belt driven air compressors. Turbos are turbine driven centrifugal fans. (I'm just going to ignore the belt driven centrifugal fan...just... no)

They will not act like a turbo AT ALL. Superchargers don't lag down low, but tend to drop off as you spin up (that dang Reynolds Number will always get you on the intake side of an air compressor)... Almost the exact opposite of a turbo.

One of the biggest mistakes made with superchargers is that the lower end gets built to handle the brake horsepower, but not the additional horsepower required to run the compressor. You may be getting 650 at the flywheel, but that crankshaft is handling closer to 800-1000 depending on your pressure.
So, let me see if I understood properly:
Superchargers don't lag down low, period, but are not effective up higher in the RPM range.
The superchargers put a lot of strain on the crankshaft.

Like I mentioned before, I despise turbo lag. Considering the current V8 in the Mustang, would a smaller turbo like a 55mm have lots of lag?
Do you know if twin 55mm turbos from Hellion have lots of lag?

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
I'm far from the expert here but I can say if you want a car that drives 100% normal but can haul a$$ when you step on it, I have never been more impressed than with Roush. I have the Stage one on my 16 GT and it's amazing. Even my gas mileage isn't terrible. (Not that I care but hey). I'm not sure why you need "headroom" at 670+ but for 1200 bucks you can go to Stage II. The hardware is awesome and the tune is equal. There is also a you tube on the entire install if you are a DIY guy. My opinion anyway. Good luck in your choice.....

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm far from the expert here but I can say if you want a car that drives 100% normal but can haul a$$ when you step on it, I have never been more impressed than with Roush. I have the Stage one on my 16 GT and it's amazing. Even my gas mileage isn't terrible. (Not that I care but hey). I'm not sure why you need "headroom" at 670+ but for 1200 bucks you can go to Stage II. The hardware is awesome and the tune is equal. There is also a you tube on the entire install if you are a DIY guy. My opinion anyway. Good luck in your choice.....
Thanks for your input! Just to get an understanding, if you're traveling around 60 mph, and you want to overtake someone, do you get a good amount of pull? I have a manual and I would downshift to 3rd and step on it, would a SC get good results from 4th or even 5th?

Also, what support mods did you do? Clutch? Flywheel? Anything in the fuel system?

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
You have tons of options for 650whp. Any kit will make that easy. If you want the most cost effective supercharger, you can go Vortech or Procharger. I made 750whp with a D1 Procharger on e85 and Fuel Pump. I decided to switch to a twin turbo setup. With an ON3 kit for $4200 and a $900 Sai Li fuel system you can make 1000whp on e85. You will want to do oil pump gears and crank sprocket no matter what you do.

If you have more money, a Whipple or VMP is about the best superchargers that can make 1000whp but cost about $9000. For a more expensive turbo, Hellion is about the best. They have a top mount twin kit about $10,000 or an under mound kit for $6500.

For tuning, I prefer Palm Beach Dyno, but Lund also has a lot of success.

The last thing, get away from American Muscle. They are overpriced. Check out Lethal Performance or Team Beefcake. They will get you the best prices hands down.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Turbo kits are very complex. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They may be simple the more you know but there's nothing simple about turbos. For simplicity reasons, just get a starter Roush or VMP kit. You should also get Steeda Cradle Braces. You don't need new cams or a new fuel pump at 650.

However, considering the questions you've asked, I'd be concerned about why you're considering the FI game in the first place. I'd be giving a call to VMP or Lund Racing to get a better understanding of what it is you're getting yourself into. This isn't a basic bolt ons and get a tune deal.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If your sure you wont want more power down the road. You can't beat the price of a centrifugal blower. Im making 700whp with a vortech and a few bolt-ons. On 93 octane. If your one of those guys that always wants more. Do a little more research.

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Turbo kits are very complex. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They may be simple the more you know but there's nothing simple about turbos. For simplicity reasons, just get a starter Roush or VMP kit. You should also get Steeda Cradle Braces. You don't need new cams or a new fuel pump at 650.

However, considering the questions you've asked, I'd be concerned about why you're considering the FI game in the first place. I'd be giving a call to VMP or Lund Racing to get a better understanding of what it is you're getting yourself into. This isn't a basic bolt ons and get a tune deal.
Thanks for the input! I'm learning before I actually do any boosting. That's why I want to get the supporting mods out of the way then in a year or two consider boosting.

Apart from the clutch, flywheel, and breaks, you suggest a Steeda Cradle Brace? A few people have told me that a driveshaft is not really needed for 650 but it's a good upgrade for bigger numbers.

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
With regards to turbo lag, when you have a properly sized turbo and piping, the lag is non existent. I personally have had a positive displacement supercharger, centrifugal supercharger, twin turbo, and now single turbo. You should totally understand each of these, and the benefits and down falls. My current setup is a 2019 GTCS with a single turbo kit. Everyone that has seen the car, rode in the car, and tuned the car is very impressed with how soon your in full boost. When you just drive the car normal, it drives like stock. When you hit the go pedal quickly, boost in instant.

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If your sure you wont want more power down the road. You can't beat the price of a centrifugal blower. Im making 700whp with a vortech and a few bolt-ons. On 93 octane. If your one of those guys that always wants more. Do a little more research.
I'd be more than happy with 700whp. I was aiming for 650-ish. What bolt-ons did you use? That's what I'm most interested in.
Sponsored