Sponsored

Boosting a Coyote! Suggestions!

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
FYI - Line item 4 - BRAKES not breaks. Big difference. :rockon:

My only suggestion is do anything but Roush.

My only advice - hang on tight, pucker your anus shut, and cinch down that seat belt before you mash that go-fast pedal the first time.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You have tons of options for 650whp. Any kit will make that easy. If you want the most cost effective supercharger, you can go Vortech or Procharger. I made 750whp with a D1 Procharger on e85 and Fuel Pump. I decided to switch to a twin turbo setup. With an ON3 kit for $4200 and a $900 Sai Li fuel system you can make 1000whp on e85. You will want to do oil pump gears and crank sprocket no matter what you do.

If you have more money, a Whipple or VMP is about the best superchargers that can make 1000whp but cost about $9000. For a more expensive turbo, Hellion is about the best. They have a top mount twin kit about $10,000 or an under mound kit for $6500.

For tuning, I prefer Palm Beach Dyno, but Lund also has a lot of success.

The last thing, get away from American Muscle. They are overpriced. Check out Lethal Performance or Team Beefcake. They will get you the best prices hands down.
Thanks! I don't want 1000whp just yet. Maybe in 4 or 5 years xD, I want it as a daily that I can comfortably drive and have a little more power than the stock 435.
What fuel pump did you use? I was considering a fuel pump voltage booster.
You're the first one suggesting oil pump gears and a crank sprocket, you think at 650whp it's necessary?

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

My only advice - hang on tight, pucker your anus shut, and cinch down that seat belt before you mash that go-fast pedal the first time.
Thanks! I edited the typo :p. You're the first to suggest to stay away from Roush, how come you say that? I've heard some good things about them having almost OEM parts that fit perfectly.

I'm a very cautious driver, but when I need some power to overtake/launch/have a little fun, I need a bit more!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I'd be more than happy with 700whp. I was aiming for 650-ish. What bolt-ons did you use? That's what I'm most interested in.

I have headers with full 3 inch exhaust. And an 18GT intake manifold. Oh and drag radials are a must. Or you'll just be spinning ever time you hit the gas.

The_Mad_Patcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
NY emission testing killed twin turbos for me. You will find that they all work very well on the Coyotes. Everyone has their favorites for their reasons. I chose the Whipple and am very happy. Maybe try to get with some of the Florida members on this site and see if they will take you for a ride in different choices. Best of luck and enjoy whatever you choose.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
NY emission testing killed twin turbos for me. You will find that they all work very well on the Coyotes. Everyone has their favorites for their reasons. I chose the Whipple and am very happy. Maybe try to get with some of the Florida members on this site and see if they will take you for a ride in different choices. Best of luck and enjoy whatever you choose.
Thanks!

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have headers with full 3 inch exhaust. And an 18GT intake manifold. Oh and drag radials are a must. Or you'll just be spinning ever time you hit the gas.
I have some good tires. But radials are a must. It does rain a lot down here... So, I'll probably have to swap them out a lot

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

Long story short. Bought the Roush phase 1 package for a 13 GT. Had questions regarding the tune as my 2005 previous to that would pull teeth out compared to this package (Saleen 2,3L running 7psi). Regional rep forom Roush was in town. Met with him and the dealer. Just wanted answers to some questions. He reported back for me to datalog the car. I bought an SCT X3 just to datalog. Sent them the datalogs. Was told head of engineering would look at them and get back to me. Waited 2 months and got no response from "head of engineering". Started making phone calls. Finally got a hold of him. He called back an hour later and told me there were no protections strategies on the car and that my problem was the clutch in the car. I spent $1400 on clutch package and install. Problem got worse rather than better. Plus the oem clutch looked almost new as did the pressure plate and flywheel. I finally contacted Justin at VMP Performance on a referral. Talked to him. He told me that Roush does in fact have strategies taking place that really hold back the ability of the package. We retuned. The car was an animal after that.

My issue is that the head of engineering lied to me. Tech support also lied to me on previous calls. The area rep wasted 2 months of my time and never did what he promised. All I needed to know was if there were torque protection and other strategies within their tune, so I could then make a determination on when or whether I wished to retune aftermarket. Rather than admit their phase 1 tune was very conservative and protective they lied.

Shortly afterward I ran into a kid at the track with his brand new 15GT Roush 727 package. He was also very disenchanted with the performance he was seeing both at the track and on the road. I shared my story. He followed up with VMP and soon after had a very nice setup.

Performance wise the 13 car would not run faster than 12.35 with the Roush tune on a DR (stock I ran a best of 12.79 on street tires). After the retune that car made a best pass of 11.49 on the same DR's and I lift shift.

Moral of this story? If you go Roush buy a tuner package and have someone like VMP, Lund, or AED tune the car if you want it to perform. If you are simply looking for a dyno number and a pretty SC sittign on your engine then by all means buy the Roush turn key package.

I have a 17 now that came already with a Roush on it. Too good a deal to pass up. It's been modified and is being retuned next week by Lund only due to the poor trans strategy on the current tune for normal street driving and to do away with the X4 and go ngage. Bit it's running ID1050x FI's, VMP twin 67TB and JLT 125mm CAI updates as well. Hope this helps.

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
Ditto on the Roush. I started with the phase 1/2 track. Never impressed with overall drivability of the car. The only thing left from the Roush packages is the blower. Everything else has been replaced and the 93 octane tune is from VMP. Better drivability and the ceiling is much higher now. That being said, any of them will easily get you to 650. You just need to decide if that will be enough long term.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Can you be more precise in what you want from it?
Is warranty a concern?
Do you plan to take it to the strip?
Is it predominantly a street car?
Do you want it to rape the tyres easily or do you prefer a car that hooks?
Do you want your Coyote to feel more “big block” or more of what it already does well (rev)?
Will you be running it on 93 or do you have plans for a return fuel system down the track?
Sponsored