Boomba Racing Short Throw Shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RideTheMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT Premium PP
I just received my boomba short throw shifter yesterday in the mail. This thing is amazing and the build quality is awesome. the install couldn't be easier with their tool and the shift throws are the perfect. I can't wait to install the shifter assembly to get rid of the slop.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost TY 6MT w/ PP
I just received my boomba short throw shifter yesterday in the mail. This thing is amazing and the build quality is awesome. the install couldn't be easier with their tool and the shift throws are the perfect. I can't wait to install the shifter assembly to get rid of the slop.
Thank you for the positive feedback!

We can't wait to hear what you think of our other products!

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I can't get the knob to turn all the way around, there's almost 3/4ths of a turn left. I used a hair dryer for 15 minutes. Do I really need a heat gun to break that seal??

OP
OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
I can't get the knob to turn all the way around, there's almost 3/4ths of a turn left. I used a hair dryer for 15 minutes. Do I really need a heat gun to break that seal??
You are not "breaking a seal".

There are two orings on a brass core inside of the knob. When you heat the knob, the delrin shell expands and allows the shell of the knob to rotate on the core while the core stays still. Once it cools off it is held in place by the orings.

[ame]

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Is this as far as most of you are able to turn it before heating? I bought a heat gun today but haven't had a chance to try. The hair dryer got it pretty hot but it wouldn't budge
IMG_20170119_162417.jpg

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Is this as far as most of you are able to turn it before heating? I bought a heat gun today but haven't had a chance to try. The hair dryer got it pretty hot but it wouldn't budge
What did you use on the threads when you installed the knob? I'm hoping not red locktite.
Also, are you removing it or installing it?
I've been through 4 different knobs and never had a probem getting them on or off.
There are easily 15 full turns to get that thing seated or removed.

Have you tried one of those rubber grippy things tha old ladies use to open pickle jars?

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
What did you use on the threads when you installed the knob? I'm hoping not red locktite.
Also, are you removing it or installing it?
I've been through 4 different knobs and never had a probem getting them on or off.
There are easily 15 full turns to get that thing seated or removed.

Have you tried one of those rubber grippy things tha old ladies use to open pickle jars?
Haven't used anything on the threads, and don't plan on it. I'm going to try the heat gun and then vise grip+towel tomorrow.

OP
OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
Recent review from one of our customers:

"This was honestly the easiest short shifter I have installed in 30 years of modding cars.
Super high quality, like jewelry.
Install took maybe 15 minutes with the rental tool.
Nice tight shifts with no extra effort or heft. Keep that in mind, since the last few short shifters I installed increased lever effort in a big way.
Pair it with a heavy shift ball and stiffer tyranny mount and it will be as good as it can get."

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I gave it another shot today, used a heat gun and vise grips, absolutely no go. On top of this, the heat gun melted the decal on the knob and it also melted the black paint or whatever material this is. I used the lowest setting and kept my distance. Really disappointed in this design... I bought the short throw and knob new from a 6G forum user. Is there anyway to get a replacement? Preferably plain black with no decals in case this happens again...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
I gave it another shot today, used a heat gun and vise grips, absolutely no go. On top of this, the heat gun melted the decal on the knob and it also melted the black paint or whatever material this is. I used the lowest setting and kept my distance. Really disappointed in this design... I bought the short throw and knob new from a 6G forum user. Is there anyway to get a replacement? Preferably plain black with no decals in case this happens again...
PM sent!

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Still haven't heard back from Boomba. Not sure why it's taking so long to decide on whether or not to replace this faulty knob... The worst part is I bought this short shifter and knob brand new from a forum user. He's in a tough position and so am I. I'm really curious why they went with this design

In the first picture I used hair dryer. Tried for 20+ minutes and it wouldn't budge.
I then bought a low end Wagner heat gun. I kept my distance and used the lowest setting but the shift pattern decal started to fade. While heating I kept trying to turn it - no go. Eventually I noticed that the black paint started to discolor.
At this point there was no going back so in an attempt to save it I heated up even more, but that obviously didn't work and now it's really bad. You can see it's still stuck where it was originally.

This knob is officially stuck on my car. I'll have to heat it up and try and find a big enough clamp to twist it off. I hope I don't break the short throw while I'm at it.
IMG_20170119_162417.jpg
IMG_20170122_134644.jpg

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Recent review from one of our customers:

"This was honestly the easiest short shifter I have installed in 30 years of modding cars.
Super high quality, like jewelry.
Install took maybe 15 minutes with the rental tool.
Nice tight shifts with no extra effort or heft. Keep that in mind, since the last few short shifters I installed increased lever effort in a big way.
Pair it with a heavy shift ball and stiffer tyranny mount and it will be as good as it can get."
That was my review!
I'm appreciating the shifter every time I drive.......

Status
Not open for further replies.