Sponsored

Body Size and Visibility Differences - From a 2013 Camaro SS

jimmydean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2108 mustang gt
Back in April of 18 I looked at the 18 Camaro,18 Challenger and 18 Mustang. Was looking for a car I and the wife could drag race on occasion. The wife if 4 foot 10 tall. She had terrible visibility out of the first two choices. So we went with the Mustang GT and visibility has not been too much of an issue for her. Car has been flawless so far.

Side story here, we took it to the dragstrip and both of us made a few passes. Scared the hell out of the wife with street tires and no traction. After her two passes she mentioned that it was only the second time she had driven the car.

Upgrade to drag radials,BMR cradle lock outs and a Lund flex fuel tune and I bested out at 11.707 121mph trap quarter mile.
By the way the wife has been putting out consistent 12.1 -12.4. We both are looking foward to a Procharger over the winter.

Jim in Boston
Sponsored

Reactions: gj

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
I've drove the 2018 WRX extensively. Not sure about the STI.....didn't know people still buy that old platform.

The WRX corners better, less body roll, feels much lighter and is very easy to see out of. However, in my opinion the feel of both the car and interior are really cheap (econoboxish), compared to the Mustang. And oh god the road noise....it's worse in the WRX.... Rev hang, poor clutch grab point and horrible cable shifter in the WRX too.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You average 25 mpg in your GT?
Sure do- and on regular gas, 87 octane. My commute of 35 miles each way is on mostly 2 and 3 lane roads driving 45-60 MPH with occasional stops. I drive light footed most of the time. I do occasionally have a spirited take offs but know when to shift for economy. It's all about the car, air pressure in the tires, proper alignment, how you drive, road conditions, AC on or off, temperature, how many people in the car. For my commute it's just me, the roads are straight and flat, temperature in the 80's or 90's and AC off- I drive with the windows down- love the warm air- paid my dues from living up north.

I had a 2016 WRX- and averaged 34 MPG over 16K miles. I once on a long trip netted 40 MPG in it , driving a steady 70 MPH, just me, clear sunny day, windows down. It shocked even me to get that kind of MPG out of it. I get better gas mileage out of manuals than automatics.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've drove the 2018 WRX extensively. Not sure about the STI.....didn't know people still buy that old platform.

The WRX corners better, less body roll, feels much lighter and is very easy to see out of. However, in my opinion the feel of both the car and interior are really cheap (econoboxish), compared to the Mustang. And oh god the road noise....it's worse in the WRX.... Rev hang, poor clutch grab point and horrible cable shifter in the WRX too.
You are spot on regarding the WRX. I had a 2011 and a 2016. The 2016 is a great car- I totally enjoyed it for the 2 years i had it but it has the exact issues you noted- and why I got rid of the car. I like my Fiesta ST better and although it's slower, it costs half of the WRX!

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Sure do- and on regular gas, 87 octane. My commute of 35 miles each way is on mostly 2 and 3 lane roads driving 45-60 MPH with occasional stops. I drive light footed most of the time. I do occasionally have a spirited take offs but know when to shift for economy. It's all about the car, air pressure in the tires, proper alignment, how you drive, road conditions, AC on or off, temperature, how many people in the car. For my commute it's just me, the roads are straight and flat, temperature in the 80's or 90's and AC off- I drive with the windows down- love the warm air- paid my dues from living up north.

I had a 2016 WRX- and averaged 34 MPG over 16K miles. I once on a long trip netted 40 MPG in it , driving a steady 70 MPH, just me, clear sunny day, windows down. It shocked even me to get that kind of MPG out of it. I get better gas mileage out of manuals than automatics.
Impressive. I don't think I'd have that kind of discipline lol. I drive mine spiritedly pretty much every day and average 20-21. Traffic, hills, WOT on an entrance ramp. It also gets cold up here in NC starting around this time of year.

Sponsored

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
(understand that at our age we'd rather not have the boy-racer wing).

Norm
The STI comes with or without the stupid looking spoiler. It has a small lip spoiler that fits the car.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
...The rear wheel drive Mustang is probably about useless in Michigan....
The ignorance on the topic of Mustangs and winter is astounding.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The ignorance on the topic of Mustangs and winter is astounding.
Agreed. With snow tires it's quite a competent vehicle outside of deep (1 ft+) snow. I've DD'd mine in Chicago the last three years and never got stuck or spun in traffic. Having a limited slip diff, snow tires and reasonable weight distribution (not 60/40 like a pickup) makes RWD completely do-able in the winter.

Sponsored

jri4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Magnetic Metallic) w/ Black Appearance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I just switched from a 2015 WRX base into a 2018 GT base. I personally think the Mustang visibility is the same as the WRX, if not better. I was pleasantly surprised. I personally feel "connected" to the car in a way I wasn't with the WRX. I also enjoy the higher horsepower and more comfortable suspension yet still being able to throw it around when I want to. Overall I have been happy I decided to make the switch--I hope you enjoy whatever decision you make because both cars are very nice and fun to drive!

Edit: I know your original question was Camaro to Mustang...but thought I would also chime in regarding the Subaru!

Last edited:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Visibility in my Bullitt isn't bad at all, I am paranoid about that long hood and front overhang when parking though. The rear camera/cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring helps a lot with general visibility.

My daily driver is a Chevy Tahoe or a F150 so I'm used to big vehicles anyway.
I absolutely love the rear camera. It's great for backing out of parking spaces. With the wide angle lens it can see if anything is coming down the aisle, especially when something tall parks next to me.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Mustang is the biggest car I've ever owned. I got used to it pretty quick. Parallel park it 2-4 times a week with no problems.
Sponsored