BMW Ranks Ninth In 2024 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Those surveys are too generic for most people in this forum, or any performance related forum. They mostly reflect the most popular models sold by each car maker. Which in the case of Honda or Toyota, are going to be lower content small sedans, while Ford will be big, expensive pickup trucks. My BMW would be included in those statistics, despite not even being built by BMW.

In addition, the number of problems does not relate to the cost of fixing them, once the car is out of warranty. I have owned several Lexus models and the cost of fixing them is almost as bad as Porsche.

I would prefer statistics geared to performance models.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Toyota is probably way up there because their dealers tell customers they have to pay for any repairs and that repairs might not be covered under warranty.

I know I had several issues with my 2022 GR86 and the dealer intimidated me out of bringing it in to get the problems looked at. Terrible customer service.

I wonder if Lexus does that as well.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Toyota is probably way up there because their dealers tell customers they have to pay for any repairs and that repairs might not be covered under warranty.

I know I had several issues with my 2022 GR86 and the dealer intimidated me out of bringing it in to get the problems looked at. Terrible customer service.

I wonder if Lexus does that as well.
I've had two Lexus models and I thought their service department was very professional. I only had one warranty repair and I had no hassles. But, after that, the repairs I had were expensive and no better reliability than any other car I've owned in the last 20 years. However, if you live in an area that has bad roads and lots of potholes, don't buy a Lexus sedan. Their suspension is not meant to handle those conditions.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've had two Lexus models and I thought their service department was very professional. I only had one warranty repair and I had no hassles. But, after that, the repairs I had were expensive and no better reliability than any other car I've owned in the last 20 years. However, if you live in an area that has bad roads and lots of potholes, don't buy a Lexus sedan. Their suspension is not meant to handle those conditions.
I thought the service techs were really good at my local Toyota dealer as well. I had a few free oil changes and those went great. My problems were only when I brought up possible warranty issues.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
1st I've heard of these Toyota anti-warranty tactics...sound like hearsay, no offense intended.
Any other sources to back this up?
Never been a Toyota fan but might consider one in the future.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
1st I've heard of these Toyota anti-warranty tactics...sound like hearsay, no offense intended.
Same here but I'm guessing this is a local dealer based issue not a manufacturers one.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
longer is better, right? That what the ladies of the night told me in any event.

Also it should mean that Ford is more experienced and better at doing repairs since they get so much practice.
Gotta look for the silver lining in those black storm clouds, people.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Look up information about GR86 engine failures on track and how several different dealers local to each buyer refused to replace the engines under warranty. Some people had engines fail with no track use and the dealer was skeptical and didn't believe they hadn't mistreated the car. Some of the customers ended up getting replacement engines after their complaints went viral online. But you shouldn't have to be an exception to get proper repairs when a car is under warranty.

I have no idea how your local dealer would handle things, but Toyota gave out a free track day for my GR86. I didn't attend, because right on the promotional paperwork they wrote that on track failure might not be covered by warranty. Absolutely terrible. You say you want to have sporty cars, put R for racing in the NAME of the car, and then say it might not be covered at an HPDE? That's just sad.

I'd say if you drive slowly and buy a low-powered econobox Toyota, you will probably be fine. At least that's the reputation Toyota has. But based on my experience and reading owners' experiences online, I don't trust Toyota at all.

I feel like Ford has slipped lately, but I trust by far Ford quality over Toyota in anything with a hint of sportiness.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Same here but I'm guessing this is a local dealer based issue not a manufacturers one.
Possibly true, but I see a pattern of stonewalling on warranty issues. Dealers refusing to even contact Toyota. I don't know why. Possibly Toyota doesn't pay enough for warranty work, so the dealers don't want to do it?

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Subaru is better than Honda...?

Yeah that study lost all credibility to me.
I have a couple coworkers with Hondas that didn't last very long prior to needing serious engine work (piston rings stopped sealing properly). I think one vehicle was a mini van and it had maybe 120K on it? I don't remember the exact conditions, but I remember thinking that any vehicle should have lasted longer and especially a vehicle like a mini van that gets used lightly. Both were non-sporty vehicles driven by people with families (not lead foot drivers like us).

But I agree, Subaru doesn't have a great reputation for reliability. After owning a GR86 for a year, I decided that a performance car with a flat engine should always have a dry sump oiling system on it. I feel like Subaru failed with that setup. Porsche has had a dry sump on the 911 since forever. Yes it will add some incremental cost, but failed engines under warranty are extremely costly to replace.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Both were non-sporty vehicles driven by people with families (not lead foot drivers like us).
That makes me think the car wasn't necessarily taken care of.

Lead foot drivers like us, while often driving the car hard, are generally very good with maintenance and usually take precautions with the mechanicals. Things like waiting until it's fully warmed up before beating on it, always running good fuel and other fluids etc.

I know several people with Toyotas that do the exact opposite and actually abuse their cars even when just getting the kids from school. Those engines will not last as long as mine even though it sees the track multiple times a year.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That makes me think the car wasn't necessarily taken care of.

Lead foot drivers like us, while often driving the car hard, are generally very good with maintenance and usually take precautions with the mechanicals. Things like waiting until it's fully warmed up before beating on it, always running good fuel and other fluids etc.

I know several people with Toyotas that do the exact opposite and actually abuse their cars even when just getting the kids from school. Those engines will not last as long as mine even though it sees the track multiple times a year.
Both are engineers and I would be surprised if they didn't follow the manufacturer's recommendations to a T, but I agree that your generalizations make logical sense.
Sponsored