Sponsored

BMW M550i Xdrive vs GT

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Bair14 What are you talking about? The Z4 & the Supra runs low to mid 12's-they only have 382 hp. Go look up what the 1/4 mile time is on a Gen 3 Coyote with an A10 is. The Supra is lighter than the Z4. Coincidentally over the last year, 3 different Supras have pulled up to me at a light-2 didn't try and the one that did got 5 car lengths for his trouble. Beat a base m3 already too.

I know they are fast M3/M4's around with single turbo conversions running 600+ hp. Haven't met any at a light yet. And I do know what fast cars are. A shop in my complex at work does wraps and he has some rich customers with all types of fast cars.

One that really impressed me is a street driven 1,500 hp R35 Nissan Skyline with drag radials on all 4 corners with beadlocks!
The Supra has a BMW engine which almost everyone knows underrates them. The ‘21+ Supra makes 370-385 rear wheel hp. A little behind a 2018+ GT, but the Supra is 500 lbs lighter (~3,350 lbs) for a similar power to weight ratio. Car and driver went 12.1 @ 117 mph in the ‘21 Supra. C&D went 12.1 @ 120 mph in the A10 GT with PP1 package. From a dig they are similar. From a roll the A10 GT will slightly pull away but I’m talking like 1/2 a car. I’ve owned both (currently own a ‘22 Supra 3.0 and ‘21 Camaro ZL1) and the Supra 3.0 and a stock A10 GT pull similarly at WOT. I had an almost FBO A10 GT PP1 so in that state it definitely pulled harder on the top end than my ‘22 Supra. The Supra’s 3rd gear is a big drop off from 2nd, so it loses a little ground to the GT at the 2-3 shift which is why it’s trap speed is a little lower than the GT. However, after that, through 6th gear the gears are closely spaced like the A10 so it accelerates almost at exactly the same rate as the GT.

Anyway, it sounds like you think an A10 GT is significantly quicker than a Supra, but they’re not. They accelerate very similarly. If yours is modded and tuned then that would give you an advantage over the Supra.
Sponsored

CXRs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT A10
I was under the impression this thread was about "street racing", not a quarter mile. The Z4 and Supra have strong low-end but the small turbo limits the upper range, so you should beat them in a quarter mile. But, either of these can drop into the high 11s with just a JB4 tune. My 2018 Mustang GT (A10) would not beat my Z4 with the JB+ tune, especially up to about 85 mph. Plus, you must have a very fast A10.
This is just my nearly worthless preinflation-adjusted pair of pennies, but I've found quarter mile trap speeds(and as an extension, the ET) to be a great indicator of street acceleration.

There is a relatively inverse relationship between the trap:ET ratio and how a car does on the street, with a higher trap for a given ET usually meaning the car has trouble putting the power down.
Cars like the m550i can cut a decent ET with a good mph, with the weight being the hindrance. On the street, where more weight can mean a better launch, they tend to do better from a dig. When you have cars like the Mustang that can put up the mph but needs traction to get good times, it doesn't do as well from low rolls.

Hell(cat), look at some cars posting up mid 11s and trapping 10mph higher than the A10 GT. The ET may be the same as an A10 on some slicks with a tune, but the mph is up there, and you really feel that if you run with one from a roll.

CXRs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT A10
I had an older M3 with with an AC Schnitzer exhaust and the factory debadge option.

The guy that owns our local car spares shop tried to sell me M badges and when I refused, tried to sell me a Schnitzer trunk badge - it was quite amusing telling him it actually was an M and did have Schnitzer parts … :facepalm: :giggle:

WD :like:
I've heard it's kind of common in Europe to debadge luxury cars. I always assumed it was a "I don't want people thinking I'm rich/poor" thing. But going straight for the upbadge is always an entertaining one for me. When I couldn't afford the car I wanted, I bought whatever was in my price range that met my needs and didn't pretend it was something else.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
I've heard it's kind of common in Europe to debadge luxury cars. I always assumed it was a "I don't want people thinking I'm rich/poor" thing. But going straight for the upbadge is always an entertaining one for me. When I couldn't afford the car I wanted, I bought whatever was in my price range that met my needs and didn't pretend it was something else.

Pretty sure there's been 10x more Hellcat emblems sold than Hellcats produced. Lol

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I never understood up badging for two reasons.
1.) People who don't care about cars don't notice/care about your badge
2.) People who do know or care about cars know YOU UPBADGE
True. But I think you’re missing a category: 3) people who think they know but really don’t.

These are people that see an M badge on a 328i and assume it’s a real M, they just don’t know enough to really know. These are mostly the same people that think all Teslas wreck everything short of a 911 Turbo S.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The Supra has a BMW engine which almost everyone knows underrates them. The ‘21+ Supra makes 370-385 rear wheel hp. A little behind a 2018+ GT, but the Supra is 500 lbs lighter (~3,350 lbs) for a similar power to weight ratio. Car and driver went 12.1 @ 117 mph in the ‘21 Supra. C&D went 12.1 @ 120 mph in the A10 GT with PP1 package. From a dig they are similar. From a roll the A10 GT will slightly pull away but I’m talking like 1/2 a car. I’ve owned both (currently own a ‘22 Supra 3.0 and ‘21 Camaro ZL1) and the Supra 3.0 and a stock A10 GT pull similarly at WOT. I had an almost FBO A10 GT PP1 so in that state it definitely pulled harder on the top end than my ‘22 Supra. The Supra’s 3rd gear is a big drop off from 2nd, so it loses a little ground to the GT at the 2-3 shift which is why it’s trap speed is a little lower than the GT. However, after that, through 6th gear the gears are closely spaced like the A10 so it accelerates almost at exactly the same rate as the GT.

Anyway, it sounds like you think an A10 GT is significantly quicker than a Supra, but they’re not. They accelerate very similarly. If yours is modded and tuned then that would give you an advantage over the Supra.
The Supra dynoed 370 -385 hp with the 340hp version of the B58. Now that the Supra gets the 382hp B58, it dynos about the same as the Z4 M40i (between 398 and 403 hp at the wheels). A JB+ plug-in set for 93 octane gives 435 -445 hp at the wheels and runs in the high 11s.
Sponsored