Sponsored

BMR SP080 spring install - questions

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Hi everyone,

As the snow is still here in the north and not going away anytime soon, I've started installing my BMR SP080 springs on my '17 GT with PP. I'm not in a hurry so I'm fitting in one corner of the car per week, working around other commitments.

I installed the driver side front spring last night and took my time following the BMR installation instructions and reading the various threads on this forum. My concern is that I couldn't see any difference in the height when the car was back on the ground :confused:. The front springs are meant to have a little over 1" drop, so I was surprised there wasn't any noticeable difference right away.

Question: Is that normal, and is it just a factor of one or more of the following:

(1) I've only done one of the two front springs - do you need to have both done to allow the front to drop evenly?
(2) I haven't clocked the bushings - planning to have the alignment shop do this as I don't have a lift or ramps that are high enough.
(3) The spring hasn't settled?

I also didn't take notice when removing the stock strut assembly as to whether or not the top plate of the strut assembly can rotate before you compress the spring. It will be another couple of weeks until I turn the car around in the garage and tackle the other side so can't quickly compare :lol:.

Once I installed the compressed BMR spring, secured the top plate and removed the spring compressor, I noticed the top plate could still be rotated...not as easily as when the spring is compressed but still possible. I assume that's needed in order for the re-alignment of parts once back on the car (spindle bolts and top bolts), correct? The spring was aligned within the strut, the bump stop was trimmed appropriately...just wondering if there's something not fitting correctly that's causing the lack of drop.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Hi everyone,

As the snow is still here in the north and not going away anytime soon, I've started installing my BMR SP080 springs on my '17 GT with PP. I'm not in a hurry so I'm fitting in one corner of the car per week, working around other commitments.

I installed the driver side front spring last night and took my time following the BMR installation instructions and reading the various threads on this forum. My concern is that I couldn't see any difference in the height when the car was back on the ground :confused:. The front springs are meant to have a little over 1" drop, so I was surprised there wasn't any noticeable difference right away.

Question: Is that normal, and is it just a factor of one or more of the following:

(1) I've only done one of the two front springs - do you need to have both done to allow the front to drop evenly?
(2) I haven't clocked the bushings - planning to have the alignment shop do this as I don't have a lift or ramps that are high enough.
(3) The spring hasn't settled?

I also didn't take notice when removing the stock strut assembly as to whether or not the top plate of the strut assembly can rotate before you compress the spring. It will be another couple of weeks until I turn the car around in the garage and tackle the other side so can't quickly compare :lol:.

Once I installed the compressed BMR spring, secured the top plate and removed the spring compressor, I noticed the top plate could still be rotated...not as easily as when the spring is compressed but still possible. I assume that's needed in order for the re-alignment of parts once back on the car (spindle bolts and top bolts), correct? The spring was aligned within the strut, the bump stop was trimmed appropriately...just wondering if there's something not fitting correctly that's causing the lack of drop.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I believe it's a combination of factors 1 and 2. The drop should be very obvious to the eye.

OP
OP

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Thanks. I measured the drop when I got home this evening. Looks like the drivers side front is sitting 3/4" lower than the passenger side...so it is lower, just wasn't what I expected based on some of the pics on this forum. I'll post back again when I've installed the passenger front side to see if that helps.
Sponsored