Sponsored

Blowing car dry - Can I use a Shop Vac out port?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I hold mine like 5 feet in air blowing down, so I mean, unless it sucks some of my hair follicles in, I push the over then down off car. I want the water to run towards ground. about 5 mins of holding it feels heavy though.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Unless you don't have any leaves that need blowing :) Sorry, I had to say that.

Different gadgets for everyone. I once bought a truck because it was a multi-use tool, but then I realized I preferred the single-use 2 seater car. :)

No heat what's with that, dust, considering the blower is off the ground a min of 3ft how much dust you think will be sucked up......

Only down side to a leaf blower, no hose, no cord, multi use tool. And cost is less than the single use made for TV auto dry machine

Other then all that the leaf blower is fairly cost effective LMAO

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
No heat what's with that, dust, considering the blower is off the ground a min of 3ft how much dust you think will be sucked up......

Only down side to a leaf blower, no hose, no cord, multi use tool. And cost is less than the single use made for TV auto dry machine

Other then all that the leaf blower is fairly cost effective LMAO
I have a Husqvarna gas powered backpack blower. Everything else is just a toy.

It can blow 3-5 inches of wet snow no problem.

I like my tools to make noise!!

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Unless you don't have any leaves that need blowing :) Sorry, I had to say that.

Different gadgets for everyone. I once bought a truck because it was a multi-use tool, but then I realized I preferred the single-use 2 seater car. :)
Funny you should mention. When Superstorm Sandy came through, it knocked down my last tree. I only have 0.2 acres on Long Island and no trees. If I wait just a little, all the leaves blow on by. This year, I picked up one bag of leaves that got stuck in my flowerbeds.

I drive a V8 powered car and have no trees. No tree hugger here!!

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I can't believe this "leaf" blower question has any merit. Get a blower designed to do the job correctly and you'll be glad you did. Don't have the funds? Save your money for one. It will dry much of your vehicle and it will eliminate much of the micro scratches from a wiping towel/cloth. And it will save you time.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I was using a Makita shop blower and my Stihl leaf blower to dry my cars.

may1920.jpg

IMG-4863.jpg

Both did the job, but I eventually made the move and bought a dedicated blower.

jul124.jpg

jul126.jpg

The main benefit of a blower like this is the air is more concentrated, helping to drive the water off the car and out of water traps. Less important, for me at least, the air is filtered and heated.

jul146.jpg

Yes, it's an expensive single use tool but I wouldn't be without it now.

jul1210.jpg

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Competition leaf blowers, while folks are charging the bat packs. Done with the leaves, sitting on the porch having a beer.

Best part about top fuel blowers, alway ready LMAO

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Ryobi sent me two free 40v batteries to review a product last year. Lol keep in mind I own like every Ryobi tool but I honestly never use over one battery. Last about 25-30 mins on one. Then I toss it on charge and put other battery on blower for next time

i sold everything gas and bought electric counter part. Waiting til electric riding mowers Get cheaper, gonna install a 48v solar panel system on sheds roof

I already have a 12v solar system maintains my riders mower 12vbattery year round

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Ryobi sent me two free 40v batteries to review a product last year. Lol keep in mind I own like every Ryobi tool but I honestly never use over one battery. Last about 25-30 mins on one. Then I toss it on charge and put other battery on blower for next time

i sold everything gas and bought electric counter part. Waiting til electric riding mowers Get cheaper, gonna install a 48v solar panel system on sheds roof

I already have a 12v solar system maintains my riders mower 12vbattery year round
I see a Mach-E in your future. :cwl::crackup:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The thing I hate most when washing the car myself is wiping it dry. And unfortunately I can't afford not to dry it, because my water supply is extremely hard, and leaving the car to dry naturally would result in thousands of horrible spots (don't ask me how I know :frown:).
I'd be willing to pay for a dedicated tool, provided it made drying the car a less tedious task. But are they really worth it? It takes me about ten minutes to wipe the entire car with a microfiber cloth. And another five minutes for the wheels (lots of spokes on the stock rims, unfortunately - I guess I should have got a Bullitt :giggle:). Would a dedicated car dryer shorten that time considerably?
Also, how noisy (read neighbour-friendly) are they? Will I need earmuffs?
I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on a dryer only to find afterwards that I've reduced the drying time just by two minutes, and that now all my neighbours hate me.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The thing I hate most when washing the car myself is wiping it dry. And unfortunately I can't afford not to dry it, because my water supply is extremely hard, and leaving the car to dry naturally would result in thousands of horrible spots (don't ask me how I know :frown:).
I'd be willing to pay for a dedicated tool, provided it made drying the car a less tedious task. But are they really worth it? It takes me about ten minutes to wipe the entire car with a microfiber cloth. And another five minutes for the wheels (lots of spokes on the stock rims, unfortunately - I guess I should have got a Bullitt :giggle:). Would a dedicated car dryer shorten that time considerably?
Also, how noisy (read neighbour-friendly) are they? Will I need earmuffs?
I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on a dryer only to find afterwards that I've reduced the drying time just by two minutes, and that now all my neighbours hate me.

The volume and air pattern of the leaf blower, is a much fasted dry. Take a look at that hose, ask yourself how does one dry the the top surfaces . Pick it up, drag the hose & cord over the paint ?

Good ol leaf blower has none of those problems. I'd suggest battery powered & ruffly 100 bucks ......... total portability

Hell buy one from Homer (home depot), use it one time take it back if you think it's a bad marriage, no worry or alimony .

Think about it?

I not selling leaf blowers no skin in the game, value on my time, get-er done and move on.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
For me, the tube or hose (backpack) on a blower is often too long and cumbersome to maneuver. The smaller vacuum hose like blowers are easier. You do just like what you do with a corded polisher- drape it over a shoulder. It is short and flexible and is easy to articulate. Granted, our Mustangs are relatively short. Blow drying my wife's SUV is more challenging to hold a blower to properly dry it.

As for use, I want the blower so as to blow out where a towel cannot. There are several places where the Mustang seems to collect water. For example, the driver's side spot by the side panel. Put the car on a slight tilt and the water cannot get to the drain hole by the wiper. It just collects there. Sometimes I find water dripping from a few spots. The bumper and headlights seem to drip too. Trunk has that channel around the opening that collects. The hood vents also trap water and do not drain. Using a towel in these large puddles and leaky spots often drench them requiring more time and towels.

Might have to bite the bullet and go with a more expensive unit.