Sponsored

Blowing car dry - Can I use a Shop Vac out port?

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
All,
I am interested in blowing the water off the car before I dry the car with microfiber towels.

I have a ShopVac 12 gallon vacuum that happens to have a output port that happens to match the adapter hose end for attaching to the vacuum port. it is also 2.5".

I was thinking of using the shop vac with a 20 ft hose to blow the car dry. Can this be done? I tried and it sort of worked but needs a narrower nozzle to work better. I used the skinny reach attachment and it did move the water.

I do not have a compressor or any other forced air system and only want o get the majority off and then follow up with a towel.

I got the idea because I have seen products like

https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum...ywords=car+blower&qid=1605206992&s=hi&sr=1-25

which I am sure produces more force but it looks like a vacuum attached backwards.

Thanks for some feedback. Not sure I want another specialty tool that just takes up space and they do appear to be rather expensive as a one trick pony.

I have a gas backpack blower that could probably strip the paint it is so strong. I bring it out to move up to 4 inches of snow instead of taking out the snowblower.

Having that, I am not sure I want to buy an electric blower since they will not have a flexible hose nor the power so it too would be a one trick pony.
Sponsored

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure the filter and canister are really clean other wise you could be sand blasting the paint

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
A good blow drying typically means you don't need a towel afterwards. I have the Adams Heated Canon for drying my cars and it works great.

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have the Metro also, for my cars in Colorado and agree it is definitely the best, but I was able to buy the Adams for less than $200 for my one car I use it for here in GA, and it does a good job but does take longer. I've already accumulated way too many duplicate tools that I will have to figure out what to do with or sell at a loss when I decide this gig is up here.

For those buying, yes the Metro is the holy grail......for those that don't know, air drying is not always faster than using a towel but it does better in the those tight or hard to get at spots like vents, lights, mirrors. Also, it eliminates the need to touch the car, for some that is a selling point, but I've never gotten a car totally clean in the first place without touching it with a mitt, microfiber, etc.

That 4hp blower is too small. I have owned a Metro during my detailing business and for my private vehicles. Don't short change yourself, or your car for the sake of saving a few bucks. You'll use the 8hp for many years and wonder why you would have considered anything else.
https://www.amazon.com/Metro-MB-3CD-Master-Blaster-Motorcycle/dp/B0002SPCGC

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Use a cross hatch pattern with the mitt or hand towel for that matter. Will miss less, leaf blower for air dry, this is a good size for that.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 10.49.02 PM.png

Totally portable no hose, cord, multi task leaf and car blower.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
OK I tried it and it really doesn't have enough CFM to do the job. OK to hit a few small or tight areas where a towel cannot get to but that is about it.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have the Metro also, for my cars in Colorado and agree it is definitely the best, but I was able to buy the Adams for less than $200 for my one car I use it for here in GA, and it does a good job but does take longer. I've already accumulated way too many duplicate tools that I will have to figure out what to do with or sell at a loss when I decide this gig is up here.

For those buying, yes the Metro is the holy grail......for those that don't know, air drying is not always faster than using a towel but it does better in the those tight or hard to get at spots like vents, lights, mirrors. Also, it eliminates the need to touch the car, for some that is a selling point, but I've never gotten a car totally clean in the first place without touching it with a mitt, microfiber, etc.
How many amps does it draw? Can it be used , full power, with a 15A outlet?

For a single use tool at around $400, it is a bit much. OK, I use it more than my DA polisher but most polishers run far less than $400.

I am with you on the premise that if you buy good tools you will only have to buy them once and they will last a lifetime. Of course they also say to not buy a tool that you do not really need.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I agree with you in everything you said.

I have this one that I use on the Mustang and it does a great job. There are a few discount coupons that will bring the price down to around $250. I was with you in not forking over $400 for an almost duplicate tool that I already own. Sometimes, it sucks living in two different states.

https://adamspolishes.com/products/...x1org7KltXaqTfDukH_bO3dNfNjpekqYaAmrOEALw_wcB

To answer your question about the Metro at full power on a 15A outlet; yes at continuous full power, it will trip it after about 30 min from my experience. It still works great at less than full power and doesn't trip the breaker. I turn it to full power for getting into the many crevices on the Vette, and then reduce the power to about 75%.

How many amps does it draw? Can it be used , full power, with a 15A outlet?

For a single use tool at around $400, it is a bit much. OK, I use it more than my DA polisher but most polishers run far less than $400.

I am with you on the premise that if you buy good tools you will only have to buy them once and they will last a lifetime. Of course they also say to not buy a tool that you do not really need.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Get a ryobi 40v brushless leaf blower, I have one (I have ryobi 40v and 18v tools though) and it does a darn good job. the rest can be dried with a microfiber towel.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
only downside to a leafblower - no filter and no heat. whatever it sucks in, it blows out.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I mean... its not like its throwing rocks at my car. has to be dust particles. it'll get on the car anyway

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
only downside to a leafblower - no filter and no heat. whatever it sucks in, it blows out.
No heat what's with that, dust, considering the blower is off the ground a min of 3ft how much dust you think will be sucked up......

Only down side to a leaf blower, no hose, no cord, multi use tool. And cost is less than the single use made for TV auto dry machine

Other then all that the leaf blower is fairly cost effective LMAO
Sponsored