Sponsored

Blasted Key Fob!!

Kasavias

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Awesome, think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the new fob tonight. :D Thanks for the info about the steps you took to get it programmed on your end, that'll help if I run into any issues.
Of course! Let me know if you run into any issues and I'll try my best to help. Enjoy having a meatier feeling key fob with less inadvertent button press key fob! None for me yet in three months!
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Tonight, I washed my car because it looked like a good night to do it. While washing the car, I slipped the keys into my back pocket. Fast forward two hours later and my son was going out. He said he was going to take my car since the windows were down! What? I just washed the car, I never put the windows down after washing due to streaks. It turns out that when I sat down to dinner, I sat on the freakin' monstrous key fob and activated the window down option.
Just ask some liposuction clinic to inject some cushioning fat where you sit on the fob.

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I keep mine on my beltloop at all times Here you go :thumbsup:
rsz_1key_fob.jpg

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Glad I came across this... My key fob is always getting pushed as well.

Good to know that the button count and frequency are compatible. I found a website that sells all of the mustang key fobs and they include the FCC ID #. A quick google search of that number combined with the term "fcc" yielded a website that had all the FCC info including owner's manuals, and frequency information.

Easy to compare the 2018 vs the 2016 FOB's (no remote start) to find they are a match... Now I just need to find the least expensive AND legitimate source and I'm in!

As a big bonus, it looks like the new FOB's emergency key is a lot more accessible. I've had to cut additional keys and add them to a ring on the FOB in order to have reasonable access to lock and unlock the glove compartment. Anybody know of an electronic lock retro fit for the glove box?

Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I tried to track down a 2018 Shelby key on Ebay with no luck. The sellers had about every variety except what I needed. Guess I will check with White Bear Lake.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Not sure if there is something specific about the Shelby key fob, but I found this website. I looked up their idea of what fits my car and the FCC ID matches my actual key fob. I looked that up on the FCC database and found that it is a 315 Mhz device. Then I looked at their idea of what goes to the 2018 Mustang and confirmed that it is also a 315 Mhz device. Both 4 buttons (manual tranny = no remote start).

I think I recall seeing some of the 5 button fobs running in the 900+ Mhz range.

Previous posters have had success using the new fobs so long as the number of buttons match and the frequency matches.

That website has a generous return policy, and also offers a big discount on the "refurbished" units. I suspect that the majority of the refurbished units are simple returns from those got the wrong fob and returned it. We'll see how it goes when it arrives next week.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
^Nothing special but the logo and limited numbers I presume.

MixTape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Green 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost PP
I have a 2018 key programmed to my 2015. As long as the remote is the same frequency, it can be programmed if you already have two programmed keys. The easiest way to figure out if it's the same frequency is matching the button combo on the keys (5-button VS 4-button, with remote start VS without remote start, etc.) Other threads and members have said that the key's FCC ID needs to match, but that was not necessary in my case as only the button combo and frequency needed to match.
Thanks Kasavias! I found a 5 button one for $57 so it's worth a try especially since you were able to get yours to work. Definitely prefer the new keys over the old rounded ones

famoussasjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I tried to track down a 2018 Shelby key on Ebay with no luck. The sellers had about every variety except what I needed. Guess I will check with White Bear Lake.

The backplate looks to be easily swapped so maybe you could buy the fob and then swap out the plate for the shelby logo. Not sure where you could find the back plate though. Don't know if you want to go through all of that either lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
The thought crossed my mind. Either that or just rock the Ford logo. But, yeah not really worth the trouble if it ain't right.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
So just to confirm I'm reading all this right... As long as the FOB has the same number of buttons then it should work with my 17 gt?
Sponsored