SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Dam that looks beautiful!

I can imagine that taking that cover off is not a simple task. I haven’t really seen many videos on how to.

I had been in communication with Carbontastic a handful of times, but I couldn’t quite nail down which color green was the correct one for the stitching. They didn’t really seem able or willing to send a small sample of the 2 different greens I had narrowed it down to, and didn’t really wanna take a chance on picking the right one.

So it’s still stock at the moment.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It's not really that hard to remove. Just getting the springs clips to release is the hard part.

That does look great.

I can imagine that taking that cover off is not a simple task. I haven’t really seen many videos on how to.

I had been in communication with Carbontastic a handful of times, but I couldn’t quite nail down which color green was the correct one for the stitching. They didn’t really seem able or willing to send a small sample of the 2 different greens I had narrowed it down to, and didn’t really wanna take a chance on picking the right one.

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT

The color on my calipers, and other features on the car are Need for Green...
Carbontastic did my wheel in "Porsche lizard green" which ended up being just fine... carbonsteer sent me some sample pics of thread, and I picked what was the closest... so none of them match perfectly but even I can't tell by looking at them.

It's not really that hard to remove. Just getting the springs clips to release is the hard part.

That does look great.
No, I didn't mean the clips to remove the airbag assembly from the steering wheel... that's easy. But once I took the airbag off, I had to remove the OEM vinyl/plastic cover/logo off of the airbag itself, so that I could put the new Alcantara one on.... that wasn't easy...

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Ahhhh I got you.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

That does look great.

If the airbag deployed - would it still deploy as designed, or would you be getting shrapnel in your face because the bag could not deploy past the designer cover and it just freaking explodes everywhere?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SloRyd

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If the airbag deployed - would it still deploy as designed, or would you be getting shrapnel in your face because the bag could not deploy past the designer cover and it just freaking explodes everywhere?
That was one of my worries... in theory it should act as the same, but unfortunately only one way to find out.. :frown:

OP
OP
SloRyd

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The color on my calipers, and other features on the car are Need for Green...
Carbontastic did my wheel in "Porsche lizard green" which ended up being just fine... carbonsteer sent me some sample pics of thread, and I picked what was the closest... so none of them match perfectly but even I can't tell by looking at them.

No, I didn't mean the clips to remove the airbag assembly from the steering wheel... that's easy. But once I took the airbag off, I had to remove the OEM vinyl/plastic cover/logo off of the airbag itself, so that I could put the new Alcantara one on.... that wasn't easy...
Did you have some sort of reference guide or video to figure out how to get the cover off, or did you just figure it out on the fly?

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
Did you have some sort of reference guide or video to figure out how to get the cover off, or did you just figure it out on the fly?
There's like nothing out there... so I had to just kinds figure it out on my own. I kinda had to pry it off, bit it's plastic so it flexes a lot.
20210509_101456.jpg

Those slots basically just pop in place... so the new one was easy to put on...
Getting the OEM one off just took a little strategy and some careful prying

Last edited:

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
The green stitching isn't just there for decoration... it holds two pieces together. It wasn't that much different from the OEM cover; the outer portion was just covered in Alcantara. Very similar structure to the original; it almost looked like an original part that they modified... so I'm not worried at all about the airbag deploying.... It should do the same job as the OEM part.
Sponsored